Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-16, 03:22 PM  
bzbnmom

Resistance bands poundage recs?

Does anyone know what resistance in pounds is the blue resistance band with the handles that Cathe sells? I do own one.

I'm also wondering what range of resistance bands (in pounds) is good for a guy for lat pull downs. My son wants to try these along with his dumbbell/barbell routine.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 08:50 AM  
desie

I would suggest a pull-up bar for your son. You can loop a band onto the bar and step into it to do "assisted pull-ups" if you are not strong enough to do a pull-up. For lat pull-downs, most men can pull down almost their body weight, so you are not going to get a band that strong and will have nothing strong enough to anchor it to anyway.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 09:35 AM  
Chomper

The assistance bands are good for Lat pull downs too, though you have to double them up because they're in loop form. That makes them even heavier.

I did lat pull downs for years with bands and would have to position myself at the other end of the room to get the tension I needed to feel challenged.

Now that I have assistance bands, I never use the other bands unless I'm doing a lighter strength move, like for smaller muscles. I have various sizes of this kind:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Bands-Res...sistance+bands

You can also use these bands for squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press or pushup, lunges, etc. they are great for traveling.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 02:46 PM  
bzbnmom

desie, thank you, that makes so much sense. We actually have a valor rack that can be used for pull/chin ups. I have seen him do several before. Geez, I don't know why we didn't think of that.

Chomper, the Body Bands look really nice. I wonder if the black 3/4" band would be equivalent to using the blue Cathe band? Hmmm, now if *I* were to start doing pull/chin ups, I would need these. I will keep them in mind. Thank you!
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resistance bands