Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-16, 02:22 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
High Step Circuit is also considered beginner-intermediate.
Oops...you're just looking for strength workouts.

Supersets and Push Pull (both on one DVD) are considered intermediate and may be up your alley as well.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 02:26 PM  
Daphne M

HI Scorpio Moon -
1) I agree with the recommendation for Total Body Tri-sets.
2) Another good set to try, even though it's older is Pyramid Upper Body and Pyramid Lower Body. They're both solid and easy to tweak so that you can shorten them or make them longer.

Personally, as an intro to Cathe, I'd recommend sticking to her strength workouts that are 2-day splits rather than the 3- and 4-day splits that others have mentioned (Gym Styles, Pure Strength). Those tend to have more sets and reps. You're already working super hard with just your body weight and I would want to be cautious about adding too many more reps just yet.

Happy training! I think you'll like Cathe. And don't feel any guilt about modifying -- I'm a fairly experienced and advanced exerciser and I modify like a wild woman!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 02:34 PM  
red1013

While I love Total Body Trisets, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a beginner. It moves kind of fast, particularly on the lower body stuff.

Basic Step and Body Fusion has Basic Step (all step), Body Fusion (step and weights), plus a 20 minute lower body workout, 20 minute upper body workout, and a 10 minute ab workout. She only uses 3 lb weights, but you can easily go heavier.

I also echo the recommendation of Supersets/Push Pull and you can easily split them into upper one day, lower the next.

I agree also with the recommendation not to do one body part a day. If you don't like full body workouts, do an upper/lower split or 3 day split (I agree too that Pure Strength is great).

Good luck!
Old 03-30-16, 04:40 PM  
PhyllisG

How about Cathes Pyramids? There is an upper, lower and great total body. ThisI think is a good one to grow with. You can go light, medium and then heavy for each body part. This is one of my favorites from Cathe. It enables you to increase your weight in increments.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 06:10 PM  
Loriann

Cathe is a great choice since she gives so many form pointers. I do think some of her older workouts move just a little more slowly between sets and use less equipment than some of her newer ones.

As suggested above, using Cathe on Demand for a month or two could pay for itself as you can find the workouts that best suit you. I like them all and rotate between the various workouts depending on my goals at the moment.

Good luck! Let us know how it's going.

Lori
Old 03-30-16, 06:34 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
Another vote for Pure Strength. It's my all-time favorite Cathe strength workout. It gets the job done without being rushed.

Good luck on your journey.
I agree, Pure Strength is wonderful. Love it even though it is a little bit dated.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 07:20 PM  
jenn38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I would suggest trying her streaming service so you have access to everything to try out. If you aren't currently doing any strength workouts, and don't have a base built up, I would suggest starting with her "beginner" strength workout. It is Basic step and Total Body Sculpting. (The step workout is separate from the strength workout) Just do it for a couple of weeks to create a foundation, then start branching out to all her other options. You will probably like Gym Series, because it's body parts.
And with this you get Cathe Live. Cathe Live is excellent and IMO great fot all levels.
Old 03-30-16, 10:24 PM  
toomuchjoy

Another vote for High Reps. There's great premixed that you could break it up across the week.

Good luck! You're going to love Cathe!!
toomuchjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 12:13 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
for straight weight training med. to heavy, Pure Strength would be my favorite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlorrie View Post
For strength, I'd try Slow & Heavy. It's a older one, but the moves are very basic and there is s no dread factor. You don't have to go as heavy as Cathe and the crew. Even though it is designed for 3 days a week, you can choose to do one body part and day. If I recall correctly, each of the 6 body parts is about 20-30minutes and the ab work is 5-7 minutes. You can easily tack it on to another workout.
Lorrie
had the same thoughts - PS or S&H.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 12:52 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
had the same thoughts - PS or S&H.
Ditto! I think Trisets and High Reps are great workouts but too fast for a beginner. Pure Strength and Slow&Heavy give you time to use good form and really concentrate on activating the right muscles.

Tags
cathe, cathe beginner