Closed Thread

Old 03-21-16, 12:59 PM  
Yelly

Old 03-21-16, 02:45 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
Because not all of the people who do Tracy's workouts love or worship her as a person. I don't know a single person on VF whose adulation for TA has caused them to lose their minds or rationality. You can use and love a person's workouts without loving or worshipping the creator of that workout. Some people have the ability to separate what a person says in the media from the workouts themselves. Others choose not to do that. Neither side is wrong.
This. TA always said silly things but I still mixed her workouts with other workouts. I used to do her sculpting workouts 3x a week. Now, I do them about once a month. I never followed her diet or anybody else's diet plans.

I liked how she strung two or three bodyweight exercises and did a bunch of reps of those. They were movements that were similar to dance, gymnastics, martial arts, yoga, and Pilates but with her own twist. So she offered something different for my body. I usually did her Meta/Continuity workouts on the same day as my cardio workouts. I don't do them as much anymore since Sylwia started doing something similar and Tonique tends to be tougher.

I've read that TA's streaming workouts are more fun and tougher but I couldn't justify the cost since I do so many other workouts.
Old 03-21-16, 03:04 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
Because not all of the people who do Tracy's workouts love or worship her as a person. I don't know a single person on VF whose adulation for TA has caused them to lose their minds or rationality. You can use and love a person's workouts without loving or worshipping the creator of that workout. Some people have the ability to separate what a person says in the media from the workouts themselves. Others choose not to do that. Neither side is wrong.
I third your opinion.

I actually wasn't going to post, but I think the person who Yelly quoted was really OTT! Really, threads like this is the reason why I rarely post here anymore. Since VF is mainly female supported, I would really like to see support for all types of fitness, because threads like this always eventually insult the women who do a particular workout!

What I find interesting is that I not only belong to Ashley Horner's FB forum, but I just finished my 2nd 10 week challenge. The women and men in that group are really supportive, and whenever someone starts a post putting a type of workout done, someone will put a stop to it right away, and no it's not a moderator. It's another member who always starts their post by reminding everyone that all types of workouts count. They have zero tolerance putting other women down!

Also interesting is how supportive the women who post in TA's private FB forum are of others who do other workouts. I have posted my results there, and the response has been amazing. Amazing because of the stereotype of her followers that has been portrayed here.

I have posted pictures of my last 2 10 week challenges in the private groups that I belong to, and some even on my main FB page, and it would be hard to believe in looking at my pictures that I do TA's workouts 3 times a week and have been doing so religiously for the last 5 1/2 years. Her workouts have worked really well with my heavy strength work since it does target the smaller muscle groups. I have really reaped the benefits of both heavy lifting and high rep isolation work.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Old 03-21-16, 06:39 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I also completely agree with Yelly, but really, the majority of responses here were not shaming anyone for doing her workouts. Just calling TA herself out on the stuff she says.
Old 03-21-16, 10:41 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I also completely agree with Yelly, but really, the majority of responses here were not shaming anyone for doing her workouts. Just calling TA herself out on the stuff she says.
Yes - absolutely this. There are lots of VFers whose opinions I trust who enjoy TA, but they're also people who approach her method in a sane manner, and don't necessarily buy into the hype. I'm mostly curious why people continue to publish Anderson's insane babbling as if it has any value whatsoever. And I think it's irresponsible she keeps putting that garbage out there, because most people aren't as critical and informed as VFers when it comes to fitness. I have no interest in Anderson's workouts, but they're not without value. Her commentary? Seemingly without any value whatsoever.
Old 03-22-16, 02:33 AM  
nckfitheart

Exclamation Not shaming anyone for choosing TA Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I too agree with this above. No one has shamed anyone for choosing to do TA workouts. They do work according to those who religiously do it over years and I am glad it work for them. My previous quote was OTT according to --- No I do not think so!

This thread is about making,especially very young people, anyone aware of silly --- To use the word previously used, statement TA makes. I agree with articles written by fitness consultants---She, need to stop, is wrong making such statement as she obviously has got any anatomy and physiology qualification. She should not step into physiology and anatomy territory and feed the myth!!! So she should stick to producing workout to cater for her "Niche"

To conclude, All this has nothing to with being unsupportive of other women. I am happy to keep my sanity approaching various workout. That is the same way I operate when it comes to supporting anyone. Such incompentency and lack of ethics from one claiming to a fitness professional is a total put off for me. Not a "certain type shaming"
Old 03-22-16, 02:48 AM  
nckfitheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesmom View Post
It seems like if you criticize TA, even when she does something wrong, you're being unsupportive to women.

Trust me, I like TA's workouts and I think there is value in them for sure but at the same time I'm starting to feel like I'm taking part in a cult...sorta.
This highlighted above --- I feel the same and we shouldn't, as far as our sanity is concerned, be blindly dragged into any senseless propaganda for the sake of supporting our gender. --- I ain't buying that!
Old 03-22-16, 04:12 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Did you see the Fascia Blaster woman's page? She makes Tracy look scientific.
Oh, yeah!
Old 03-22-16, 07:10 PM  
andtckrtoo

I never listen to what Tracy has to say, but her workouts do nice things to me. I honestly don't view her much differently then the instructors who say that you HAVE to lift heavy, or you HAVE to do HIIT or only their kettlebell method works. They all do it.

I'm curious, though, I've never gotten the feminist view on TA that we have to support her because she's a woman. Maybe I just don't see those things. I only support her because she works for me. At least I don't see that as much here - I either stopped the notifications or stopped liking her FB page because the fan girls there were driving me insane, but they aren't much different than Silwia's followers or Cathe's. They believe in their instructor. I'm not a good koolaide drinker

I will say that she seems to be the one people tear down the most. Her workouts are considered silly and easy (yeah, not so much, especially on the third day!). I get it because she makes some crazy claims, and she has questionable business practices. But maybe that's why people are so quick to defend her.
Old 03-23-16, 07:58 AM  
carres1973

Am I the only one who actually didn't see anything GLARINGLY wrong in what TA said in this article? I will completely agree she did and does say things that are strange. But, in this article at least, it wasn't TERRIBLE.

It seems like one of the big arguments other trainers (I saw Amy Bento-Ross post a link to a "scathing" rebuke of TA) is about kettlebells. I'm not sure what the argument is here. TA says in the article kettlebells can be dangerous. I would completely 100% agree. If not done correctly, kettlebells CAN BE and ARE dangerous to the exerciser, the exerciser's TV, pets, small children, etc.

I also actually agree with how "extreme" everything has gotten. On Biggest Loser, for example, they have morbidly obese individuals RUNNING on a treadmill within a day of arriving...and being yelled at if they want to slow to a walk. Seriously? Even the titles of the workout DVDs are all more "extreme"...in some cases, literally. Cathe's newest series...ICE - Intermediate Conditioning EXTREME. What?? And I actually have the series and enjoy it, but why the need for EXTREME in the title?

I don't know...I guess I'm with Debbie and others on this one. I see a place for all types of workouts and all types of women enjoying all types of workouts.

Carrie
Closed Thread

Tags
tracy anderson