Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-16, 10:51 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Oh wow, Yelly, I'm very sorry to see you deleted your posts. I thought you made some really great contributions to the discussion. I also thought the post to which you took offense was simply a 'punny' joke. I did not read mockery in it...

I agree with Cheri that it's tough to read how people feel in writing. I do hope you are willing to reconsider, but if not, I wish you the best!
Old 03-25-16, 10:53 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Oh wow, Yelly, I'm very sorry to see you deleted your posts. I thought you made some really great contributions to the discussion. I also thought the post to which you took offense was simply a 'punny' joke. I did not read mockery in it...

I agree with Cheri that it's tough to read how people feel in writing. I do hope you are willing to reconsider, but if not, I wish you the best!
Ditto what Nuggie's Aunt said.

Carol
Old 03-25-16, 11:03 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I thought you stated your viewpoint quite well and with class. I'm sorry you were hurt by things that were said. I think communicating via a computer screen is hard as you can't see facial expressions and have back and forth, face to face dialogue.
Yelly, I also hope that you reconsider. I also thought you made valid points in your posts and didn't need to delete them. I also agree with cherimac that it's hard to read feelings and facial expressions through a computer screen. And it does go both ways as you pointed out.
Old 03-25-16, 11:15 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
As to the bolded part, I think that TA's workouts just work for Yelly and many others. They are very effective for certain people. As I said before, I didn't like the tone of Lou Schuler in NROL4W, but that didn't mean I don't think his stuff works for some people.
As I said earlier in the thread, all I need to hear is "her workouts are fun" or "I just love doing the workouts." I get it. That's valuing the workouts. I am talking about valuing the instructor personally to the degree that she feels the need to shoulder the load for someone else's self-defeating behavior. TA is grown woman who can take responsibility for her own words and actions. It seems codependent. At the risk of pushing hot buttons, I think that's the reason passions have flared. I am also going to step away from this discussion now, because I have probably gone too far.
Old 03-25-16, 11:28 AM  
LaCatrina

Yelly, I've enjoyed quite a bit of your threads, and I too hope you reconsider

Anything that comes out of Tracy Anderson's mouth will sure be polarizing, and while on one hand I've decided to stay away from the general discussion thread for threads like this one, on the other I'll say that I've made great friends here, and found wonderful information that has been quite useful in my journey.

I guess people should be able to choose whatever form of exercise out there, without fear of shaming, or schooling about other body/fitness goals that are "good and commendable".

Last edited by LaCatrina; 03-25-16 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-16, 11:31 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
Before I leave for good, I wanted to say that the people who post here on VF really need to give some consideration to the fact that blatantly making fun of a person, like the above posters chose to do, is affecting - not the computer screen they are writing on - but a person with actual feelings.
Did you not realize that deleting your posts in a thread like you did in a thread with many responses after them is disrespectful to other members who have taken the time to respond to you? I thought assweetassugar's post was a gentle and humorous way of pointing that out to you. I'm sorry you were so upset by it.

Quote:
It is because of commenters like the above, and a general trend towards negativity and a lack of respect for others, that I am leaving VF permanently after I finish this one final post.
I guess you won't be around to read this then. Honestly, if you are too thinned skinned to be able to participate in discussions where people disagree with you, then perhaps a board like this one isn't right for you? If you're still reading this thread, I would suggest you take a few days away from the board and reconsider whether this thread was really enough to get so upset about.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 03-25-16, 11:59 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
My ONLY concern when I read negative threads like this one, is that it would somehow prevent someone from trying her workouts, when they could actually be something they would really enjoy and benefit greatly from.
(snip)

Anyway, I hope that clears up my viewpoints. I do not feel I am an extreme Tracy fan by any means. And I also have no problem when people criticize the stupid things SHE says, but I do have a problem when it starts to be directed towards the people who use her workouts, and I especially have a problem when her workouts are discounted by a person who has never even done one before. Anyone who can criticize a workout that they have never tried personally has no credibility in my book, and I would never want an inexperienced opinion like that to be the reason that somebody else hesitates to try her workouts.
How about we extend that to Crossfit - don't criticize before you've tried it.

I also don't believe anti-TA threads will stop anyone from trying her workouts. People are going to do what they want, and sometimes negative threads call attention to workouts they might not have otherwise considered.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 03-25-16, 12:37 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckfitheart View Post
Yes, Cathe does not make crazy comments. She knows what she is talking and walking about.. She is not into this body shaming campaign which I am utterly against

I did Cathe's Rock Bottom, the 2011 one and It worked for the purpose. I love cathe and love her work
Somebody else mentioned Cathe making crazy comments. I said that some of my favorite instructors have said or done things that drive me crazy. For me, I was talking about Cathe's actions. The closest thing that I can come up with Cathe and crazy statements is in regards to Eggland Eggs. She is a spokesperson for them.

As for Cathe's actions, I haven't visited her forum in ages. So maybe, it's changed. Back then, she used Chris and other forum members to bully other members that had constructive criticism. She has even called out at least one VF member on her forum because that member was disappointed that one of her series had inadequate warm-ups and cool-downs. The linked thread shows another example(s). There was also the fiasco with DVDs not playing in certain DVD players.

As for the workouts themselves, I don't like when she does upright rows because they are dangerous for the shoulders. I usually substitute a different exercise. She also does too much isolation work for the biceps and triceps for my taste. At one point, I did get tired of her using too many Power 7's, 15's, etc. in her workouts. She could have been a little more innovative but I was also used to CIA workouts. Despite this, I still have a lot of her older workouts. I haven't been buying her new ones lately because she doesn't really offer anything new that isn't in her older workouts.
Old 03-25-16, 01:28 PM  
Michefit

Hi everyone - I know I am late to the party... but I just wanted to offer some points as someone who regularly does TA streaming and follows her on instagram. I also do Cathe workouts - lol.

The mention of TA advocating for teeny tiny arms etc... I think are more from an earlier time period - when she came out with the MAT workout. Since then - if you ever visit her instagram - she really advocates for empowering women as mothers, professionals and any walk of life they are in. For those who subscribe to her streaming she weekly puts out a TAMILY article that features a woman who is striving and achieving to be her best self - these women are NOT celebrities.
She also has made many posts about moving your body, being in sync with your body and accepting it for it being the best shape that it can be (individually). In addition to Gywynth Paltrow - she has also been linked to Lena Dunham who she praises for getting out there - doing her workouts and enjoying the movement of her body.

Her trainers (featured on the streaming site) are of all different body shapes - several them very curvy and not in the "teeny tiny" category.

I can agree with Debbie S.- that her workouts are TOUGH (streaming and continuity). I am drenched after an hour of full body balance moves. I also really enjoy the focus it takes to master some of the creative moves she comes up with.

As for the article - it seems that it is difficult to judge - since someone else wrote about TA- not TA herself. Some of us aren't even sure if the article is a parody of her ideas. It is clear that workout celebrities often have ideas we find strange or unfounded. It is also clear that peoples idea's and philosophies can change over time - so we need to take it with a grain of salt and use our common sense to decide what is best for ourselves as individuals.

Finally - I am a TA fan - but I am also a fan of exercise in general. We are all on a quest to find what works best to make us our best. TA works for me and make me feel at my best- I am happy for those who have found kettlebells or Hiit or heavy weights work for them too.

Cheers to you all
Old 03-25-16, 01:33 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
I'm not sure how we can freely voice our opinions if merely stating them means we're shaming someone... people can (and do, silently at least) make judgments and have opinions about things and people and appearances, and that's natural, and okay.
Not if you are on any college campuses these days. Not just to do with appearance or exercise. It's causing a lot of concern in academic circles. "Microaggression" and "safe space" and "trigger warnings" are just a few of the buzz words. There are a lot of fragile snowflakes who need to be protected. Excellent article on this phenom
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...n-mind/399356/

Tags
tracy anderson