Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-16, 12:32 PM  
nckfitheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I honestly either don't know or can't remember any other instructors that say you have to lift heavy or do Hiit? I am familiar with the marketing speech of "this is why my method has advantages over other methods" but feel like the "if you don't do my method you will never succeed" and "doing not-my-method is why you have a saggy butt" talk is much rarer.
Thanks chomper for this above. I am sharing your thought.

I am glad you have shared these 5 surprising TA statement. We need to know and discuss about these inaccurate informations.

I have read above that Anna benson and cathe made "crazy" statement. I wish the poster elaborated more. A link would be helpful.
Old 03-24-16, 01:06 PM  
cherimac

The New Rules of Lifting for Women comes to my mind as a "go heavy or go home" type mentality. Calling light weights "Barbie weights" comes across as condescending. It doesn't bother me but one size doesn't fit all.

Again, sometimes things are exaggerated to sell a product.
Old 03-24-16, 01:50 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
The New Rules of Lifting for Women comes to my mind as a "go heavy or go home" type mentality. Calling light weights "Barbie weights" comes across as condescending. It doesn't bother me but one size doesn't fit all.

I agree that sounds condescending. That was in the marketing blurb for the book, right? But I don't see the Cosgroves anywhere saying don't use light weight workouts at all. In this article Rachel says that light weights and bodyweight exercises are effective too.

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/we...yths-debunked/
Old 03-24-16, 02:02 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post

Yes, I have found much of the heavy-lifting community to be very condescending to other forms of exercise. Lou Whats-his-name, in particular.

I used to follow a number of heavy-lifting advocates on Twitter (names escape me) and lots and lots of rude, snarky tweets about heavy lifting being the only way to go, anything else doesn't cut it, anyone who advocates anything else doesn't know what they're talking about, etc.

Rachel Cosgrove and Nia Shanks are two I can think of off the top of my head who are far more conciliatory and polite! But many in that genre I have found to be very dogmatic about their particular brand of fitness. In fairness, some are responding to dubious claims made by people like TA and barre/pilates/yoga people, but still, you can refute things without being rude or dismissive.
Old 03-24-16, 02:06 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Yes, I have found much of the heavy-lifting community to be very condescending to other forms of exercise. Lou Whats-his-name, in particular.

I used to follow a number of heavy-lifting advocates on Twitter (names escape me) and lots and lots of rude, snarky tweets about heavy lifting being the only way to go, anything else doesn't cut it, anyone who advocates anything else doesn't know what they're talking about, etc.

Rachel Cosgrove and Nia Shanks are two I can think of off the top of my head who are far more conciliatory and polite! But many in that genre I have found to be very dogmatic about their particular brand of fitness. In fairness, some are responding to dubious claims made by people like TA and barre/pilates/yoga people, but still, you can refute things without being rude or dismissive.
Exactly.
Old 03-24-16, 02:09 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckfitheart View Post
I have read above that Anna benson and cathe made "crazy" statement. I wish the poster elaborated more. A link would be helpful.
I have never heard Cathe make a crazy comment. At least, nothing in regards to working out. Most of her blog posts are backed up by science articles. I do remember when comments were made about how "it's not the disk, it's your dvd players" comments that some may have thought were crazy, but nothing ever fitness related .

You have only to read excerpts from Firm For Life to read some kooky Anna Benson comments. But I love those Firm workouts! I will always be grateful to Anna, even though I didn't start working out with her workouts until much, much. I can only imagine the difference they made for women during that time, how revolutionary they were. Anyone around during that time was truly lucky!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-24-16, 02:10 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I agree that sounds condescending. That was in the marketing blurb for the book, right? But I don't see the Cosgroves anywhere saying don't use light weight workouts at all. In this article Rachel says that light weights and bodyweight exercises are effective too.

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/we...yths-debunked/
I read the book and putting down Barbie weights is a repeated theme, IIRC. It's been several years since I read it.
Old 03-24-16, 02:12 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
Karen, I agree with your post.

I learned a long time ago that my favorite instructors can say or do stuff that drives me crazy. That includes the instructors that you mentioned: TA, Anna Benson, and Cathe. I had to learn to just enjoy the workouts and try to ignore the rest. The one thing that would be difficult is if an instructor personally called me out on her forum. Luckily, that hasn't happened to me but I know it has happened to other VFers.

I also agree with Phyllis. I don't care if somebody tries TA's workouts and criticizes her for her cueing or they make a cautionary post because they were injured during her workouts. I don't even like all of TA's workouts. I just like Meta Omni and the Continuity workouts. It's when they post their assumptions on her workouts when they've never done them and it's quite obvious in their posts. Thanks Karen for not doing the same since I know that TA is not your thing since you're into heavy lifting at the gym. But you never know, Debbie S. also does heavy lifting at the gym and has found TA useful.
Karen, I agree with, Helen! Like I said in my last post (that was misread by a few) I wasn't going to post in this thread until one poster's comment was over the top. Up to that point, I didn't have an issue at all. TA has said some weird stuff in the past, so my point wasn't to defend what she has said in the past.

A lot of the comments said here are rehashed comments of stuff she has said in the past. I do have to give her credit for growing and for coming out and saying that she has nothing against cross training, and this includes running.

The 3 pound comment that keeps getting rehashed is no different from instructors like Sylwia and Hamelin, who don't want you to go heavier than 3 lbs doing their arm work, because of the chance of injury. It's true!!!!!!! Even though I can do biceps curls with 30 lb. dumbbells and do close grip triceps presses with 95 lbs., using 3 lb dumbbells during their arm work KILLS me. Trying to lift any heavier will defeat the purpose since my delts will take over.

What I don't get is that Miranda is anti weights and that is never brought up. Why have a hard time with someone advising not to go over 3 lbs. and be perfectly Ok with an instructor who is anti weights!?

As far as lifting heavier and dealing with sagging skin in the future, well, there is some truth to that statement. If you develop a lot of muscle and stop lifting, there is a chance that you will this issue, especially in your arms. It happened to me personally after my car accidents and surgeries. It's really no different than people who gain a lot of weight, lose the weight and have loose skin in the end.

There's also reference to teeny tiny and this is what TA wants from all of her clients. This isn't true at all. I have been doing her streaming for a year now, and the people in her classes are all shapes and sizes, and so are her INSTRUCTORS!!! In fact, the majority of her instructors are far from teeny tiny. Their bodies are very athletic with visible muscle.

EDIT:

I wanted to comment of the metabolic comment. Like Phyllis, and everyone who has said that her workouts are tough, they are freakin' tough. I sweat buckets when I do her work, and the reason why I don't do her workouts more than 3 days a week is because I would start to overtrain my upper body. I always wear a heart rate monitor during my workouts, and I can easily burn 200 calories doing just the lower body portion in her streaming workouts. She does a lot of plank work, balancing on one hand work, plank work with one leg, etc. They are very taxing workouts.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Old 03-24-16, 02:22 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
What I don't get is that Miranda is anti weights and that is never brought up. Why have a hard time with someone advising not to go over 3 lbs. and be perfectly Ok with an instructor who is anti weights!?
Debbie, my understanding from Miranda is not that she is anti-weights, per se, but she doesn't think we need to lift weights to be healthy. She believes the bodyweight is sufficient resistance, not that you shouldn't lift weights.
Old 03-24-16, 02:26 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Debbie, my understanding from Miranda is not that she is anti-weights, per se, but she doesn't think we need to lift weights to be healthy. She believes the bodyweight is sufficient resistance, not that you shouldn't lift weights.
I do a lot of body weight circuits, so I agree about body weight exercises being challenging. But, TA does a lot of body weight exercises in her workouts, too. This is why her workouts are effective. This isn't directed at you, because you have done her workouts.

But Miranda has said that only bodybuilders should lift weights. I have all of her workouts, so I have heard that comment.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Closed Thread

Tags
tracy anderson