Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-16, 05:25 AM  
antbuko

I know Tracy's workouts have proven to be effective to a lot of people and I certainly don't dispute that, however, in an article such as this one, she just sounds like she's making stuff up.

After a recent disappointment, I bit too quickly and realized almost immediately that the Emperor was actually naked, I will NEVER take stock in a celebrity endorsement again, ESPECIALLY Gwyneth Paltrow. I think Gwyneth is a shill and it was Gwyneth, IMO, who gave Tracy the endorsement that led to her mass appeal.
Old 03-24-16, 08:45 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I think why TA fans get upset is because others make it sound like TAs workouts are useless. She wouldn't be the success she is for this long if her workouts didn't produce some results
Also I am certainly open to criticism of TA but please don't discount them if you never even tried them!
I've long been critical of the (IMO) ridiculous stuff TA says. Other instructors say questionable stuff as well -- Cathe, Anna Benson, you name it -- as has been pointed out in this thread. It's just that TA's stuff seems over-the-top crazy. I think she may do this to get attention. And it works.

But your point is well taken, PhyllisG. Though many of us in this thread are criticizing TA's statement, we're not talking about her workouts. I have never tried her workouts because they don't appeal to me. But I know MANY others enjoy them and I hope they continue to do so, despite the crazy stuff TA says.

As for the fascia blaster "science" -- EEEK!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 03-24-16, 08:55 AM  
nckfitheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I have absolutely seen evidence of constructive criticism (not of Cathe's workouts or Cathe herself) being removed from her website. I have heard anecdotes of members being banned from her forum for constructive criticism and seen the evidence of that. No, I'm not going to dig through VF to find them, as the tag features were not in place then and doing a search for "Cathe" on VF will bring out a zillion posts haha! We do happen to love her here.
Hi Bubbles, okay I can't read 100 pages from link sent below phew
LOL now I know what you meant by " We do happen to love her".

That said, I am myself, had to request for posts to be removed/deleted because some users, on cathe forum, act as they can bully some people! Because I am not vocal promoting excessive cardio --- Catabolism--- Trust me the forum is not being monitored and IMO it should to get some interesting thread coming.

Some users are actually interacting not to promote cathe product. They are free to not do so. But they cut in interesting discussions. Not only they are rude hijacking thread making irrelevant comments deliberately IMO.Not everyone is willing to take part of this war! In my personal experience ( I have been active on cathe's forum since 2012, if I am not wrong). So I did not know about link below.

That said, I have seen people posting about other trainers: KCM, Jilian michaels, TA, Beachbody trainers etc..... Those posts could have been considered as promoting competitor's product. They have not been removed

? Are other trainer mentioned, promoted in Beachbody or KCM forum.... Hmmm not sure it has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
Here's a long discussion from several years ago:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ghlight=banned
Thanks for posting this... I will definitely look into it!
I just can not understand why Cathe get mentioned on this thread. This thread is about TA article, about her statement and somehow cathe ended up getting mentioned BTW i was not the first to point out post removal. I made a comment having read previous comment.--- Interesting!!!
Old 03-24-16, 09:02 AM  
nckfitheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I know Tracy's workouts have proven to be effective to a lot of people and I certainly don't dispute that, however, in an article such as this one, she just sounds like she's making stuff up.

After a recent disappointment, I bit too quickly and realized almost immediately that the Emperor was actually naked, I will NEVER take stock in a celebrity endorsement again, ESPECIALLY Gwyneth Paltrow. I think Gwyneth is a shill and it was Gwyneth, IMO, who gave Tracy the endorsement that led to her mass appeal.
Mmmmm--- this! okay ,no comment
Old 03-24-16, 09:27 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckfitheart View Post
LOL now I know what you meant by " We do happen to love her".

I just can not understand why Cathe get mentioned on this thread. This thread is about TA article, about her statement and somehow cathe ended up getting mentioned BTW i was not the first to point out post removal. I made a comment having read previous comment.--- Interesting!!!
I am a big Cathe fan . Her Rock Bottoms rotation and Xtrain gave me the best legs ever without killing myself or hurting my hip.

I think I brought up Cathe first for comparison with how overzealous some fans can get. Some, not all. Since I'm not a TA devotee and wasn't around during the Benson era, it was the closest comparison I could get with my personal experience.

Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't understand how a diss to TA is a diss to her workout method or to the people that use her method. They are distinct. I don't see how there is a connection at all. Cathe has done some things over the years that have caused people to go into an uproar. From what I understand though, she has never made any scientifically unsound or unsafe statements. But, she has done some things (or at least her company has, which is an extension of her) that cause people to get mad. Well, her methods still work. Anna Benson has made some zany comments over the years. Well, the Firm still works. Dissing Anna, Cathe, or TA doesn't mean that their methods don't work.
Basically saying that although some people have some negative things to say about Cathe that her methods work. Same for Tracey.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-24-16, 09:29 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckfitheart View Post

Cathe has been mentioned because when A popular instructor gets criticized on the forum, quite often (specifically with TA and Cathe), a subgroup of passionate fans get really riled up about the criticism. When I posted this article some people suggested they thought this would happen again in the thread. I believe Bubbles brought up Cathe as another example of this phenomenon and was openly wondering why it happens. In the case of Cathe, I don't think anyone criticizes her workouts. It is her business practices, specifically the bad customer service and treatment of people on the forums we have seen throughout the years.
Old 03-24-16, 09:32 AM  
bubbles76

Thanks Chomper! As usual, you make my points better than I can haha
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-24-16, 09:42 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I never listen to what Tracy has to say, but her workouts do nice things to me. I honestly don't view her much differently then the instructors who say that you HAVE to lift heavy, or you HAVE to do HIIT or only their kettlebell method works. They all do it.
I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I honestly either don't know or can't remember any other instructors that say you have to lift heavy or do Hiit? I am familiar with the marketing speech of "this is why my method has advantages over other methods" but feel like the "if you don't do my method you will never succeed" and "doing not-my-method is why you have a saggy butt" talk is much rarer.
Old 03-24-16, 11:57 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
I've long been critical of the (IMO) ridiculous stuff TA says. Other instructors say questionable stuff as well -- Cathe, Anna Benson, you name it -- as has been pointed out in this thread. It's just that TA's stuff seems over-the-top crazy. I think she may do this to get attention. And it works.

But your point is well taken, PhyllisG. Though many of us in this thread are criticizing TA's statement, we're not talking about her workouts. I have never tried her workouts because they don't appeal to me. But I know MANY others enjoy them and I hope they continue to do so, despite the crazy stuff TA says.
Karen, I agree with your post.

I learned a long time ago that my favorite instructors can say or do stuff that drives me crazy. That includes the instructors that you mentioned: TA, Anna Benson, and Cathe. I had to learn to just enjoy the workouts and try to ignore the rest. The one thing that would be difficult is if an instructor personally called me out on her forum. Luckily, that hasn't happened to me but I know it has happened to other VFers.

I also agree with Phyllis. I don't care if somebody tries TA's workouts and criticizes her for her cueing or they make a cautionary post because they were injured during her workouts. I don't even like all of TA's workouts. I just like Meta Omni and the Continuity workouts. It's when they post their assumptions on her workouts when they've never done them and it's quite obvious in their posts. Thanks Karen for not doing the same since I know that TA is not your thing since you're into heavy lifting at the gym. But you never know, Debbie S. also does heavy lifting at the gym and has found TA useful.
Old 03-24-16, 12:25 PM  
nckfitheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
http://www.wellandgood.com/good-swea...workout-rules/

Had no idea you burn more calories in a convertible!

I like the humour above
Closed Thread

Tags
tracy anderson