Old 12-20-15, 10:50 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

My favorite:
Gym Styles (remake of Pure Strength)
Xtrain Burn Sets
Ripped with HiiT Strength work
STS Meso 2

Older look (I wouldn't start with these btw)
Maximum Intensity Strength
Pure Strength
Slow and Heavy
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 10:52 AM  
suzannaerin

Agree with the Meso 2 recommendation. The pace is slow enough to heavy up and there are decent rests between sets.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 11:46 AM  
Chomper

Gym Styles and Muscle Max,among others, have upwards of 20 reps per set in some instances (especially legs), a 5 second rest, then onto set 2, etc. In addition, they are lifting pretty fast.

Unless you want to have a timer, and pause the DVD to give yourself extra rest, you are doing what you and I would consider endurance lifting with giant sets of 60+ reps.

ETA: The actual heavy lifting DVDs with 10 or less reps with decent rests in between are STS Meso 3, Burn Sets (just upper body), and possibly the RWH upper body strength workouts (though I think sometimes the reps go up to 12 and I don't know if the rests are long enough). She has some leg workouts that intersperse weighted exercises and plyo exercises, but with minimal rest periods. Meso 3 Plyo Legs is maybe the first like that. There is also a Meso 3 Squat Rack Legs which is probably more what you're looking for.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 11:46 AM  
NorthernStar

I started workout out with Cathe this summer. I was always aware of her and always figured I would like her, just had just never tried her workouts. I wasn't sure where to start so I got a month of OnDemand and loved it! I tried so many different workouts and found some I liked, and some not as much. I also got to preview basically every workout she's ever done to get a total idea of her workout.

My favourites were Ripped w/ HiiT and XTrain but I loved getting to try them all. Highly recommeded if you're not sure where to start.
NorthernStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 11:52 AM  
andtckrtoo

You can do a month of her On Demand for $20.00. All of her videos are available. You can try STS, her Gym Styles, or any of them - without investing a fortune.

It's easy to stop the subscription, too. In fact if you sign up and the next day unsubscribe you'll still have access for 30 days.
Old 12-20-15, 11:55 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I love Slow & Heavy for high weights and low reps. That gets the nod for me over her other series because she gives you enough rest between sets that you can stay heavy for sets 2 and 3. And it's very traditional weight lifting: familiar exercises, three sets, eight reps. On the down side, it can be a little plodding/dull.

My big beef with Burn Sets and the Ripped with HiiT weights is that I have to pause the DVD too often to get adequate rest time between sets. I don't buy her "we don't need that much time after the first set because we're still fresh, let's do set 2 NOW" rap.

Trixoo's idea to get a month of On Demand is a good one, especially for a Cathe newbie. Her music, tempo and sequencing change a fair amount from series to series, and you can sample it all for 30 days.
Old 12-20-15, 12:50 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Keep in mind Cathe presents a lot of premix options, so don't let cardio blasts in a workout turn you away.

For example, I love RWH Legs - strength only premix. Cuts out the cardio blasts and hammers the legs in about 30 minutes. I also like the legs only premix on Xtrain Cardio Leg Blast (about 30 minutes) for the same reason.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 12:54 PM  
Bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Yes that is what I consider heavy lifting, under 10 reps and 3 sets, which seems hard to find except paper ones

I didn't realize she had so many that were lifting. I guess I need to watch and try one to see if I like her style.
Gym Style and Xtrain would fit your bill. I would watch clips and then decide. IMHO you can't go wrong with either. My only problem with Cathe is she is very shoulder intensive but with these two sets you can pick and choose and train the body parts you want. You can build up to heavy weights or go moderate. Muscle Max is a total body workout that you can lift heavy.

I don't have STS but I've only heard good things. My heavy lifting days are over but I still use Gym Style and just go light.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-15, 09:35 PM  
angie_nrs

Cathe is my all time favorite instructor. She has lots of options for weight work. I think the Pyramids (upper & lower) would be a good choice....since both of those workouts are on one disk (with a great premix option as well) so you can sample Cathes w/o's before going full into STS. I also think 4 day split series is a good choice too, since you can have 4 different 30 minute weight workouts on 2 disks. Although, the cardio portions on 4DS are really spectacular also!

I really do like STS, but honestly, I don't use it much. I did the full rotation when it first came out, but I don't do the individual disks at all anymore. It might be because I don't really remember which workouts are which? Or, probably more likely it is b/c I have soooo many workouts that I just get distracted by other workouts and don't reach for STS. I really should just grab a workout out of the middle of the case and just do it!
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-15, 11:23 PM  
bfit

Isn't there a Cathe Pyramid workout too?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe heavy weights, cathe strength workouts