Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-16, 01:10 AM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
I did Rockem Sockem a second time and ended up fast forwarding through most of the third round after the punching combos. The jacks seemed even more prominent the second time around, there really are a lot in this. I also tried the mishmosh mix that works in the triceps through the workout, ummmm, that was a mistake. It just breaks it up and is hard to get going again after the tricep round is over.

Something is off, and I think the jacks and jumping have a lot to do with that, there really are others ways to get a sweat going, especially in a kickboxing workout. I like the kicking combos way more than the punching, but they don't go long enough. And the punching is oddly paced at times for the moves and there is a lot of jab crossing. I do like some of them like the jab cross with the twist or jab cross into a knee kind of moves.

I'm switching over to KPC for kickbox day going forward in the rotation. I do like muscle meltdown triceps though, I only have to sub the dips. I guess repeating KPC gold just isn't going to happen.
The 3rd section was where I lost interest, too. Just overkill on the jacks. I ended up getting out my rebounder and rebounding until I saw a punching sequence that looked fun enough to get off and try.

KPC is still my very favorite of her kickboxing workouts to date, too.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 08:15 AM  
wendy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingLife View Post
The 3rd section was where I lost interest, too. Just overkill on the jacks. I ended up getting out my rebounder and rebounding until I saw a punching sequence that looked fun enough to get off and try.

KPC is still my very favorite of her kickboxing workouts to date, too.
Not that it makes the original workout's jack overkill better, but I always sub kick variations for all the jacks. Once I get used to how long the endless jacks are going to go on, I even repeat the previous punch combo and add various kicks...

In some of Cathe's live workouts, she throws in jacks when she''s forgotten a move, or when she needs to go adjust the volume or speed of the music. Her class seems to love it--so maybe that influences her use of them in DVDs. But, argh--I hate them and think they have no place in a "kickbox" workout.

I previewed her latest live wokrout, which is "inspired by ICE Rock'em Sock'em". I've only done RS once, but the live workout looked nothing like it. It is very upper body intensive, alternating combos with heavy bag drills. Then it goes into some kicking, and ends with maybe 10 minutes of floor cardio that looked like '80s stuff. Though I don't love Rock'em Sock'em, I'm sure glad it isn't that format! I skipped through to preview--I'm guessing the only connection was similar combos are in both-but maybe it was more than that.
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 12:14 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I tried Rockm Sockm today and thought it was solid intermediate, and I'm a kickboxing novice. I didn't mind the jumping jack mania as much as I did Cathe's poor cueing. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but cueing on the move sucks and blurting out "ground and pound" without explaining anything before launching into the move is frustrating. I thought some of the kick combos were way fast, and I never did get the front kick-back kick-air kick thing even after rewinding twice. Oh well.

[ETA: next day, major DOMS in lats, ouch ouch in a good way]

I need to try Kick Punch and Crunch to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-01-16, 12:30 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post

I need to try Kick Punch and Crunch to see what all the fuss is about.
That's exactly what I'm doing. I ordered KPC, Rockm Sockm and Low Impact Sweat from Mary yesterday. She really is fast (Mary, that is). She processed the order within minutes and my DVDs are expected to be here on Monday.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 08:00 PM  
jordan

Well this is it; I finally finished all the main workouts and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Chiseled Lower Body Blast was a total blast: FUN, FUN, FUN! I have a hard time getting motivated to do standing leg work. This is my new favorite standing leg workout. Finally, the vegetables are hidden in the cheese. I got a good workout. I enjoyed the amount of time spent on each exercise and the overall total workout time was just right. Also, I think Amanda did a pretty good job as a modifier in this one.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 10:05 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've only tried two of the workouts so far. My first was Rock'm Sock'm and the second was Metabolic Total Body.

I was annoyed with the kickboxing workout, and didn't finish the final drill combo. The endless punching in the warm-up was tiresome, as was the lackluster punches in each of the drills. To me, it was boring but my core did get a good workout. I disliked all of the jumping jacks and other high impact kick moves and felt it was unnecessary. This might be an okay cardio workout, but I was peeved at the lack of modification. And, Cathe cueing on the move (instead of before) was also irritating, but I kinda expected that. What ticked me off the most was that there was very little modification shown. Why rush the series, when this could have made everyone happy with just a little more effort working out details? How hard is it to sub out the moves for those with less or no impact? So yeah, I can modify on my own but I guess I was disappointed that this wasn't planned out as well as it could have been.

On the other hand, I loved Metabolic Total Body! I had a feeling I'd like the weight workouts, anyway.

Have yet to try the other five workouts, but I know which one is my least favorite---hands down.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 11:34 PM  
angie_nrs

Metabolic Total Body

Metabolic Total Body - This was the last one of the ice series for me. This was a really nice and intermediate workout....which I needed today since I was sleep deprived and a bit dehydrated after having a bit of a celebration last night. I was wondering if it wasn't going to completely kick my rump. But, I was able to keep up with Cathe on weight and reps. I kicked up a good sweat but this one had a lot of breaks....many of them much longer than what Cathe typically allows (which I was really grateful for today), so I was able to easily hydrate during the workout. The pace was nice and slow so my HR didn't go thru the roof, but was elevated non-the-less. I liked the slower pace since it allowed me to get deeper into the muscle. The blast portion was definitely high impact but was doable, although I didn't really enjoy the jack combo at the end....just not a jack fan, but did it anyways. Doing the original workout with the blast was 60 minutes total.

These workouts will be perfect for days like today where I want a good workout and not waste my time....but still am not prepared for a Cathe kick butt w/o. I wasn't at my best today, but doing this workout made me feel accomplished, worked out, and not wimpy......and afterwards still had the endorphin rush. So glad I bought these workouts, as they will be part of my routine rotation. Now, I just need to go back and do some of the meltdowns that I missed along the way along with core #1.

As a side note, I did notice that Cathe was pretty sweaty in these and had moments where she was gasping for breath too. It actually made me feel pretty good.....is that wrong???
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 01:16 PM  
mtngoat

I did RockM SockM on Thursday. I liked it, but am admittedly a relative kickboxing newbie. (I really need to check out KPC too!)

I found it intermediate. The last flurry section was quite intense - enjoyed that! The interesting thing to me is I have DOMS throughout my core. I rarely get DOMS of any kind, and have never had it in my core like this! Wow! I think I need to add kickboxing into my regular rotation.

I am still enjoying ICE. I am going to do my Muscle Meltdown Premix today.

eta: I ended up doing the Metabolic Total Body (still working through all the workouts). Metabolic workouts are normally not my favorite, but I loved this one! Feel pleasantly worked out. This is a workout that will only get better as I perfect the moves.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 02:18 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Today I did Low Impact Sweat and loved this one! This will be the "conditioning" work I need to get in shape! A good mix of drills with upper, lower and total body exercises, sometimes using weight to kick up the exercises.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe ice series, flex train, ice, ice reviews, peripheral heart action