Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-15, 12:13 AM  
Scorpio6

Can Resistance Bands Really Build Strength?

I am bombing out lately w/ my weights, having a dread factor.

Does anybody know, from experience, or have a link to an article or research, to show if resistance bands can really build strength. I mean build strength, not just "tone up."

TIA to all.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 05:08 AM  
muddjeansgal

Yes absolutely. Body weight, weights, bands,etc. is all creating resistance for your muscles.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 05:30 AM  
Tugger31

I would say it depends where you are starting from. Someone new to weights can definitely get stronger using bands. Some bands are quite tough! I think with higher resistance bands someone who is not new to lifting could probably maintain some semblance of strength. I would be hesistant to say that alot of additional strength could be gained by someone who is already into very heavy lifting though.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 06:51 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I can tell you from experience, yes. I traveled with my DH for two years, and used almost nothing but resistance bands for strength. I would do for instance, SI6 Keep it Up, or Burn it Up, using the pink resistance band. I would also do the Powerfit workouts using a med stretchier type resistance band. I was able to maintain my strength, no problem. I think it's also a nice change of pace to use resistance bands!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 06:53 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I should clarify, I have never been a heavy lifter. Like Tugger said, the results may be different. I don't use a heavy band, either.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 07:50 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

My sister who is 65 years old built some pretty visible muscle and strength using resistance bands at PT. She was never into weight lifting and had a very severe bout of pneumonia a few years ago as a result of COPD and was bedridden and lost her mobility for quite some time. She slowly got moving again and started going to PT and is in amazing shape right now. It really is miraculous how she has recovered and she has great visible bulging biceps, visible muscle in her legs and even abs which is a huge problem area for her. All that to say I do believe resistance bands can build strength and muscle.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 08:07 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

If your muscles are working against enough resistance, why wouldn't it build strength. Of course, you can't measure the exact resistance and high intermediates/advanced exercisers would have to have have bands with enough resistance to make it work.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 09:43 AM  
bubbles76

This may be a dumb question, but what's the difference between building strength and toning up? For me, toning up always meant visible muscle definition. I would think that if you are showing visible definition that you are getting stronger.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 09:57 AM  
jenn38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
This may be a dumb question, but what's the difference between building strength and toning up? For me, toning up always meant visible muscle definition. I would think that if you are showing visible definition that you are getting stronger.
I think visible muscle definition has to do with how much body fat you have. Lower body fat = seeing muscle better. As where strength is more of how much you can lift or push/pull.

I think you can be strong and have a layer of fat over muscles and be strong and have little fat with great definition.
Old 07-15-15, 10:38 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn38 View Post
I think visible muscle definition has to do with how much body fat you have. Lower body fat = seeing muscle better. As where strength is more of how much you can lift or push/pull.

I think you can be strong and have a layer of fat over muscles and be strong and have little fat with great definition.
Okay, I can see this. So what's the difference between building strength and toning up? I guess I'm confused because I can't look "toned" (for me, visible muscle definition) without building strength. I guess some people are blessed (or not, depending on how you look at it ) with low body fat and can look toned without being strong, but I'm not one of those people.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resistance bands