Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-15, 03:41 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

LA vfers - suggestions for live classes

Hi - my family will be in LA visiting college campuses. I may be able to sneak off for an in person workout or two. My obvious options are

cardio barre
piloxing
michelle dozois
tracey mallett

Any suggestions or comments?

thanks!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 06:30 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Which area will you be in? There's so much out there. I went to Bar Method in Hermosa Beach last month.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 09:50 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

We'll be staying near LAX....

I got to attend a Bar Method in NYC a few years ago.
Old 06-19-15, 08:48 PM  
holliholli915

You're going to be near the South Bay. So, you'll need to travel to Mid-City/Mid-Wilshire area to get to the REALLY good stuff. Here are some suggestions:

1. Barry's Bootcamp - try to get a class with Astrid McGuire. This class is so good LIVE.
2. Soul Cycle (I think one of the Amazing Race contestants has a class here that's a killer!)
3. Pop Physique has several locations
4. Body By Simone has a studio on Santa Monica Blvd
5. Obviously, Tracy Anderson and I think she's starting to allow individual classes at her Brentwood location
6. Cardio Barre has some killer classes
7. Bar Method on 3rd is good
8. Climb the hills at Runyon Canyon
9. Do the stairs at Santa Monica Pier
10. YAS Fitness has this cycling/barre/yoga combo workout that's a goodie
11. LA DanceFit if you like dance
12. Pilates Plus

There are A LOT of options! Tons! Enjoy!!
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 09:13 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

thanks you brought up some classes I hadn't thought about.
Old 06-22-15, 12:59 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

how did I get two responses?
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 01:02 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

If you are into Bar, there seems to be a studio on every street corned in the beach cities. It isn't my thing so I recognize the big names, and see them often but don't remember who is where. Southern Cali has a million choices, but a lot of them aren't taught by instructors much different than you would get anywhere else. I would research some of your favorite instructors or types of classes you like and see what is local. Hope you find something. Long Beach is the opposite way of holli's recommendations but there is some good stuff there too and it isn't too far on the weekend.

And if you are looking at "state" schools, good luck!! Cali state financed schools are extremely geared towards in state (which actually makes sense if you live here. ) I find the published scores and acceptance rates were very deceiving. The kids in our school are guaranteed an offer from our local University (which is a good school) simply by having a b average in their college prep classes. Since we are in driving distance for other areas of the LA suburbs, the kids outside of what is considered the "local" area only get a chance at a place if there are spaces left after local kids fill up the freshman class and need much higher grades and test scores - much.

We just moved here last year and we missed the series of seminars the schools put on regarding the in state university systems. So I'm shocked and a little obsessed right now. I guess a lot of out of state kids miss some of the required classes even with super rigorous college prep high school programs (need a full year of art (music and theatre arts count) and a full year of social science - which some history classes cover, some don't. And of course need As in college prep and high test scores and local kids need bs and about 20th percentile on the ACT/SAT. Oh and the local kid gets the spot first regardless.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 03:14 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

thanks Lynn... we are mostly looking at private but will keep what you said in mind.