Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-15, 06:26 AM  
PhyllisG

We are talking these prices for just one instructor. I think most of us use many different instructors and change at will. How many streaming workouts are you suppose to subscribe to?, TA $90 a month, P57 $57 a month , Udaya $12 a month and plus what happens if you don't enjoy them? Can't return them, can't sell them and can't trade them. You bought it and then it is just gone.
Plus I like repeating a workout until I master it. No sharing your subscriptions.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 07:05 AM  
aspidistra

I want to chime in here because I have strong opinions. I love all the dvds that Tracy has put out and I own everything I could find. I have tried them all and I have been successful even mixing them up. But I have the same reaction to the streaming as all the die hard fans who already did Meta. I was jealous and wished I could get it. I was annoyed that Tracy took down her forum and changed her website and doesn't seem to care about Meta anymore. It's like her total focus is on this new thing and Meta is old news to her. But where Tracy goes we follow or we WANT to follow. Reading the experiences of those who are doing the streaming makes me very very envious and I assure myself if I had that I too would be inspired and have a perfect body in a couple of weeks because of the joy of doing the class via streaming video. But then I remind myself: Tracy is a master of marketing. Was it 2011 that Meta was released? It's been 4 years and so it's old hat now and she is not a static person. More power to her. Many have done Meta and Continuity for a year or more, and were ripe for something new! I don't at all blame Tracy for charging too much. She knows her Meta and other dvds are out there for everyone. The exclusive streaming class is just her newest thing. And let me tell you all - my opinion is this: You could do level one of meta, any centric, for several months, and get fabulous results. You could do the mat workout or the beginner workout or one piece from any random dvd or youtube clip, as long as you did it 6 days a week for as long as you could up to an hour, and get stunning results. Because listen to the people who have the streaming subscription. She improvises her moves. You learn the basic moves after doing her workouts for a while, you can also improvise. I have done this from early on with her dvds, once I realized it. Her moves are awesome and they work. There are little variations in the angle of the leg or something. It's not rocket science. I personally love the dvds and don't like the idea of a bunch of other people in the background. Her early dance aerobics and webisodes had those annoying trainers in the background in them (including some who went on to use her method in their own studios after leaving her). For me they are just not as good. Come on now. Didn't you all just read the thread about the hidden gem: the post pregnancy workout II? And it is freely shared on youtube. I would buy it in a heartbeat after reading that rave review but it's nowhere; thus I got it from youtube and am doing it. It's different from all the others, it's harder! but these are variations! Nothing drastically different. I totally believe she is a genius. How many of us wanted, and bought, all four centrics? We needed them all! And using them, realized they all work: glute works for abs, ab works for glutes, and so on. Let us all get a grip! Yes I want to wake up and get the streaming content but the $400+ is about as realistic for me as flying to the Hamptons and joining her posh studio. No, for the rest of us, there are plenty of dvds and they ALL work. She says it again and again. It's what WE put into the workout. Man, we can get just as slim and shapely using a grainy youtube webisode than having her train us in person or in a streaming video of her class. The only thing we need there is that it's NEW! That is my opinion. Yes, there are many who love the atmosphere of a class. But basically we just want her newest and latest workout because we want it. And we can't all afford this one. So - pick out one of the obscure dvds on your shelf and use it. Personally I've done omni and glute and I had 34 inch hips and was a size 2. I gained some weight back due to illness and laxness, and know that will be me again because Bed Bath and Beyond had a clearance and I got Hip for 19.99. A final clearance - meaning that Meta is totally passe. But it's good enough for me!!! Along with the fabulous Post Pregnancy II with the unusual moves. I already feel and see my body changing after a FEW DAYS. And it makes me happy enough reading about others' experiences with streaming videos and enjoying them, but knowing I can kick butt in my own living room and become fabulous with old dvds or even with doing her workouts from memory!

Last edited by aspidistra; 02-25-15 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 07:16 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I think it's more a discussion of the wild west-nature of streaming prices. Some are dirt cheap, others are out of sight.

What I find crazy is what I read on the other thread--that she only offers 4 workouts a month, then takes the other ones off?! So you don't even get access to a full library of material? TA is very particular about how her method is to be done--same workout for several days then you move on, never to do it again. Probably one of the reasons she likes the streaming model is she can ensure people are doing it her way.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 08:19 AM  
Yelly

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Tracy's DVDs hideously expensive when she first got started? To me, that was all part of her mystery and allure and just part of her marketing plan. People want something more when it seems slightly out of reach or expensive. In Tracy's case, her workouts actually DO live up to the hype for a lot of people, so the plan worked. But now she sells those same DVDs for way less.

Now that she's moved on to streaming, it really doesn't surprise me at all that she has decided to charge so much. It's all part of the mystique and allure. She wants customers to feel like they're part of an elite club. And the fact that people are absolutely loving them - well, I just think it's brilliant marketing. I truly believe that eventually she will offer different streaming packages that will be more accessible to the rest of us.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 08:19 AM  
Sweetsal

Well said Aspidistra!
Sweetsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:00 AM  
JulieIL

Echoing Aspidistra & Yelly (I just reread the thread & these are the comments that stand out to me).

I honestly feel your pain, lorajc, especially since I am in a workout slump (again!) & 5 pounds up from my ideal. It must be especially tough if you have been a devoted TA fan for years. I'm hoping that maybe she will eventually lower her price, as she would get so many more subscribers at a lower price.

I have just started to look at the streaming as if it's a live class that I can't travel hundreds of miles to get to: I sure wish I were there, but it just isn't feasible so I'll make due with what I do have.

I am starting to get panicked at the thought, though, of instructors turning solely to streaming; realistically DVDs will be a thing of the past at some point. Hopefully downloads will be a happy medium. I am extremely fortunate to live close to a vast array of live workout studios & gyms. I really feel for the people who live in remote areas (or those that have crummy internet connections, so streaming isn't even an option). So for now, I'm using the TA's that I have & living vicariously through those that are enjoying the streaming- I actually get motivated & excited to hear about the workouts, their insights, & results.
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:02 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I'm glad some are really pleased with their subscription, but I have a really hard time when video is compared to a live class. A video is not the same as a live class. That's how Physique 57 has tried to justify their exorbitant streaming prices, but to me, it's comparing apples to oranges. A live class at a barre studio (or at least, a good live class) involves instructor interaction and form correction, which is why I don't mind paying for a class vs. staying home and doing a video.

Though from what I understand from those who have taken live TA classes, they don't provide much instructor interaction or form correction, so maybe video doesn't make much difference? I certainly wouldn't pay $90/mo. for streaming, but that's just me.
I agree that P57's live classes are way, WAY superior to their DVDs and streaming, for all the reasons you listed (plus the great music in live classes). If P57 offered streaming live classes in a format similar to TA I would be willing to pay a high price because there is nothing comparable where I live.

For other methods, I think the comparison between live classes and streaming/DVD makes sense. In live Essentrics classes, for example, there is no form correction, not a ton of changes in choreography, and the music is nothing special so I actually prefer their DVDs because of the convenience. With TA, I would hate working out in a heated studio (I don't do well with heat at all) so the live streaming gives me all the benefits without the drawbacks.

I agree with PhillisG that one issue with streaming subscriptions is that they can really add up, especially if you want variety.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:19 AM  
Yelly

I have another thought also. I want to say that I DO agree with everyone in their frustration over the outrageous prices! I'm not panicked about it being a universal trend though.

If I had the money, I would definitely subscribe, even though it's way overpriced. For me, I don't think of it as comparing streaming vs live classes vs dvds or downloads you can keep. I have more of an artistic mind, so for me it's all about motivation and inspiration. Tracy inspires me. That, to me, would be worth the price if it helped me through a difficult time, or put new life into my workout routine.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:33 AM  
olala

I tried TA streaming 7 workouts. And it was not for me. To be on my knees 40 minutes is absurd. The moves are complicated, compound and creative, but I have all her Meta and I can find similarities. I need much more cardio and abs. My quadriceps will atrophy by doing inclusively TA. The arms segment in streaming is weird. My knees were on fire after 4 days of doing TA streaming. I am an advanced exerciser and working out usually 2 hours in day.
I love TA method on DVDs, it is working and her Transformation workouts for Xbox the best thing ever.
olala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:53 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
With TA, I would hate working out in a heated studio (I don't do well with heat at all) so the live streaming gives me all the benefits without the drawbacks.
Ugh, yes! How could I forget about the heated room?! I would throw up. Definitely a plus of doing TA at home.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone going ahead and spending the money on any fitness endeavor she or he finds worthwhile, inspiring or useful. For my part, however, I decided I would not support Physique 57's streaming service, no matter how tempted I might be. I think businesses like P57 and TA feel like they can go ahead and charge whatever they feel like and people will follow. I'm just not going to do that.

It reminds me of something I read about Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. M's V tourist board built up the island in the 19th century to attract tourists, and the island became crowded and kind of tacky. Nantucket took note and decided they'd rather attract 10 people with $100 to spend, rather than 1000 people with $1. I guess if you have enough of a following, you can make a go of it with fewer people willing to spend more money.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tracy anderson, tracy anderson streaming