Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-15, 07:40 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Yes, certainly that is true. I typically have little difficulty justifying my fitness expenses since it's pretty much all I spend money on, so I can absolutely appreciate any of my VF peeps who find this worthwhile! It's just when video is marketed as 'it's such a deal! Compare it to live classes/gym membership/personal trainer!' No matter how wonderful a video may be, it's just not the same as a class/gym/trainer, and I don't think it should be marketed as such.
I agree!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 09:15 PM  
unfetteredpast

I, for one, thought this thread was going to be about Lady Gaga's performance at the Oscars (which I thought was incredible). No intention to hijack the thread ... carry on ...
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 09:53 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredpast View Post
I, for one, thought this thread was going to be about Lady Gaga's performance at the Oscars (which I thought was incredible). No intention to hijack the thread ... carry on ...
Hahaha! Now I'm going to have to google it tomorrow.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 10:08 PM  
lorajc

By the way, I also sent a complaint even though it probably doesn't matter.

Also...I don't want a free trial....I don't want this to start being the norm as far as streaming....just like the last couple exercise programs released recently by Michelle Dozois and Tracey Mallet...I'm so upset that their content isn't available as a regular DVD program without all the extra frou frou instructor stuff....I don't want this to start becoming the norm and i refuse to support it as much as I love them and wanted their programs.

I'm usually not a very opininiated person......but this subject has pushed me over the edge...........I'm truly sorry if I often anyone, as I usually don't go the opiniated route and don't
want to start any trouble here....but I'm just so frustrated over tis subject as
y
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 11:05 PM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
By the way, I also sent a complaint even though it probably doesn't matter.

Also...I don't want a free trial....I don't want this to start being the norm as far as streaming....just like the last couple exercise programs released recently by Michelle Dozois and Tracey Mallet...I'm so upset that their content isn't available as a regular DVD program without all the extra frou frou instructor stuff....I don't want this to start becoming the norm and i refuse to support it as much as I love them and wanted their programs.

I'm usually not a very opininiated person......but this subject has pushed me over the edge...........I'm truly sorry if I often anyone, as I usually don't go the opiniated route and don't
want to start any trouble here....but I'm just so frustrated over tis subject as
y
I totally get where you are coming from.

So far I have been lucky that my fave instructors (Ellen Barrett, Ravi & Ana, Leslie, Bellyfit) have not yet jumped on the streaming bandwagon.

I am a nickle & dimer ... I can afford a few expensive things if I can pay a little at a time. Like a 15 to 30$ dvd. Or subscription monthly of no more than 10$ - and only one subscription at a time. Anything more than that, IS NOT IN MY BUDGET, end of discussion. I will do without and/or find another way. Or just be able to stream only 1 month per year lol .Time to grieve, let go & move on as hard as it may be to swallow!

And even if it was, there are some things that are outrageous IMO me. I am one of the few people I know who has happily never shelled out over 100$ a month for cable. Before Netflix & Hulu, I stuck to public channels and PBS - totally at peace with this as the rest of the world TIVO'd & On Demanded it to their hearts content. I just can not justify spending over 100$ a month on TV that I mostly won't watch.

And even if it is just like a live class, I can't afford those either. There are those of us that rely mostly just on dvds. I think streaming is fine - just have an option for those of us that can not afford to stream. To me, it makes good business sense to get money from dvds and streaming. But I guess they make so much off streaming, they don't care about dvd profits. *sigh*

Lorajc, have you thought about other TA - like instructors that perhaps aren't so expensive but will give you similar moves? I really feel for you, I know the day that Ellen Barrett & Ravi Ana stream outrageously, is the day my tears will also be streaming

I pray that prices will eventually stabilize. But, nevertheless I won't give up on fitness - where there is a will, there is a way!!

It may motivate me to film myself doing moves I like and like Barb (horsemom) get tech savvy and put my own music to it, & watch myself for free lol
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 11:11 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I've seen Tracy DVDs at Target for as little as $5, and there are lots of her videos at Youtube (and elsewhere online) for free. So it's not like you have to be rich to do her workouts.

(And who would have thought Lady Gaga singing 50 year old songs would be the highlight of the Oscars?)

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 12:29 AM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I've seen Tracy DVDs at Target for as little as $5, and there are lots of her videos at Youtube (and elsewhere online) for free. So it's not like you have to be rich to do her workouts.
ok, I am not speaking for Lorajc, but myself if I were in her shoes. Correct me if I am wrong, Lorajc.

I think Lorajc is a diehard TA fan. And just free utube & dvds is not what she wants. I am not a diehard TA fan and utube is good enough for me. But she already owns all of TA and wants to be able to afford everything that TA has.

It depends on what the definition of "rich" is. No, you don't have to be "rich" to do her workouts, but you do have to have enough $ be able to have access to all of her material and that cost is steeper than it used to be. Some people just don't have the extra money and the diehard TA fans that can no longer afford her streaming material are hurting. Partial access, dvds & free utube just doesn't cut it when you no longer have access to updated fresh material from your absolute favorite instructor.
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 12:37 AM  
firmaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I make good money and I COULD technically afford this, but I simply won't pay that monthly for what the service gives. It's ridiculous.
Ditto!!!
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 05:45 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post

I hear you, Lorajc.
I was looking forward to Tracey Mallett's program, but knew, pretty much from the beginning, that I was probably not going to be able to afford it. When I saw the price, well.... . It's frustrating.

I have emailed instructors (Tracey Mallett, Sleek Technique, Physique 57) and streaming sites begging for downloads because streaming doesn't always work. Not everyone who would like to work out with them has access to fast and reliable internet.

I was thinking the same, Lorajc, if people are willing to spend that amount of money every month, other instructors will be revising their prices. I refuse to pay so much money for something I don't get to own.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 06:03 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Lorajc, I am fist pumping in unison with your outrage! I felt the same when physique 57 rolled out their outrageous $57 per month streaming plan. Devastated was not too strong a word to sum up how I felt. I had been doing their 6 DVDs exclusively for... A year, maybe? And I was desperate for some new material. The fact that they were taking their business in that direction was so upsetting. Could I afford $57 a month? In my case, yes, I can pay that and still feed my kids, but I refuse to. Like Ruth said, I will not pay that for video, esp those I cannot keep.

I still love physique 57. When I'm anywhere near a studio ( and I mean, really, anywhere near one!) I'll take a class and I flush with love for their method! It's still my absolute favorite. But the inaccessible nature of their material drove me to seek out other barre brands. I now mostly take classes at the Bar Method that opened near me. I got a really good deal on a membership and I love the form correction and attentiveness of the instructors.

If p57 had put out more DVDs or streaming with better terms I might still be doing it exclusively, but their stubborn refusal to amend their terms, despite lots of complaints by die-hard fans like me, forced me to look elsewhere.

Sorry to write a book about it, but I'm just saying, I feel your pain!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tracy anderson, tracy anderson streaming