Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-15, 11:27 PM  
cindylm

Tracy Anderson - Dance -

Just wondering if anyone else struggled with the dance component of her DVD's and if there is any tips you can offer to pick up the moves?

I feel like an absolute idiot and have no clue what I am doing. I'm really unco but would really like to try to learn this as it could be a fun way to burn some calories

Also any tips on shoes to wear when doing it? My runners feel very heavy on my feet

I've doing Meta Abcentric at the moment but hoping to buy Hipcentric continuity
cindylm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 03:43 AM  
Yelly

First of all, I suggest listening to your own music (if you're not already), as that is SO much more motivating! For Tracy's Meta dance cardio, I think of her moves as suggestions rather than exact follow-along. She'll do one move, and then I'll do that move to the beat of my own music, but I might stay with it a bit longer than she does. Then she'll do another move that catches my eye, and I'll do that one for a bit. I'll do that the whole way through the video, but move to the beat of my own separate music. She's extremely hard to follow in the Meta dance cardio - it's not just you, so don't feel bad!! I have tried to follow her every move, and it's just more fun to use my own music, follow its beat, and try to loosely follow her as a guideline. That means I'm always at least a step or two behind her, so I had to undo my thinking as far as mirroring her image exactly.

As for shoes, I've purchased a pair of Ryka Downbeats that work really well for dance cardio and Zumba, etc. The strap across the top works well for lateral movements, and they're pretty comfortable. I wouldn't describe them as light, but I can dance just fine in them. HTH!!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 06:59 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
First of all, I suggest listening to your own music (if you're not already), as that is SO much more motivating! For Tracy's Meta dance cardio, I think of her moves as suggestions rather than exact follow-along. She'll do one move, and then I'll do that move to the beat of my own music, but I might stay with it a bit longer than she does. Then she'll do another move that catches my eye, and I'll do that one for a bit. I'll do that the whole way through the video, but move to the beat of my own separate music. She's extremely hard to follow in the Meta dance cardio - it's not just you, so don't feel bad!! I have tried to follow her every move, and it's just more fun to use my own music, follow its beat, and try to loosely follow her as a guideline. That means I'm always at least a step or two behind her, so I had to undo my thinking as far as mirroring her image exactly.

As for shoes, I've purchased a pair of Ryka Downbeats that work really well for dance cardio and Zumba, etc. The strap across the top works well for lateral movements, and they're pretty comfortable. I wouldn't describe them as light, but I can dance just fine in them. HTH!!
How do the Ryka's run? I've been searching for a good dance cardio shoe forever.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 09:57 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
How do the Ryka's run? I've been searching for a good dance cardio shoe forever.
Ha ha, my first thought was, "Well I've never seen them run, but I suppose they'd do a good job" LOL

As far as their fit, I usually wear 7.5 in a sneaker, and that's what I got for these, and they fit just right for me. Now, as far as the looks of them - I personally don't think they flatter me when I'm wearing capris or shorts, because they tend to make my short legs look even shorter. I usually wear these with long pants for that reason (yes, even though I do workout alone, ha ha). The reason I got this pair is because they were at a super-duper sale price on 6pm a while back, and I couldn't pass it up (I can't remember now how much it was, I just know it was much less than the price on Amazon), so you might want to try looking around for a better price if you decide to get them.
Old 01-24-15, 10:14 AM  
flamingoo

HaHaHa Yelly! I'd like to see how far they can go I have bigger feet(9) and I tend to go up a size in my workout shoes. They just seem more comfy to me. I've never purchased shoes like this( the high top kind) and I'm afraid they will make my feet look huge, but then again I would probably only wear them for dance cardio. I'm debating on size because I found them pretty cheep, but they are a size bigger( 10). Does that strap on the top actually work to tighten the shoe if they are too big or is more of a fashion thing
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 10:24 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
HaHaHa Yelly! I'd like to see how far they can go I have bigger feet(9) and I tend to go up a size in my workout shoes. They just seem more comfy to me. I've never purchased shoes like this( the high top kind) and I'm afraid they will make my feet look huge, but then again I would probably only wear them for dance cardio. I'm debating on size because I found them pretty cheep, but they are a size bigger( 10). Does that strap on the top actually work to tighten the shoe if they are too big or is more of a fashion thing
No, I don't think the strap is just a fashion thing - I can actually use it to tighten them somewhat if I need to. I should mention that in other shoes (like heels, sandals, etc.) I usually wear size 7, so I also go up a bit in my workout shoes for the same reason as you - they just feel better. I've never purchased high top shoes either, but these do work for me. To be honest, these do make my feet look bigger, (and like I said, my legs look shorter in them too) but I just try to ignore it and wear them anyway. The pair I have is black, in case you were curious. If the place you're thinking of ordering from has a good return policy, I say it's worth a shot, if you found them for a good price. I know shoes can be highly individual, but they do seem to have good reviews at the places I checked before purchasing mine.
Old 01-24-15, 12:41 PM  
Sweetsal

I'd also suggest getting Dance Cardio for Beginners and/or Dance+Cardio. Both are on sale at Amazon for $7.95. DCB has four cued 15-minute routines. D+C has two non-cued 30 minute routines that are MUCH easier to follow than Meta. They are both lower impact, and, if you eventually want to free-style, they'll both expand your repertoire of Tracy moves.
Sweetsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 03:54 PM  
cowfishpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
I have done this as well. When I think it about it, it really doesn't matter if I follow Tracy exactly, as long as I'm doing moves that get my heart rate up and I'm having fun. It does make me wonder if that is what she had in mind all along.
Old 01-24-15, 04:17 PM  
Michefit

Totally get your own playlist - this actually makes the workout fun! I bought the shoes TA wears - Nike Shox - shoes I would never have worn otherwise. They are perfect for her workouts. Lots of support - thinner on the toe - more cushion on the heel. I found any kind of "running shoe" too high and made my feet ache on the sides - the moves with dance are so different than running.

As for the routine - after 30 days of doing the routine - you will be surprised how you will catch on - and some days are better than others. As long as you are doing similar and sweating and changing it up every couple of seconds - you are good.

Have fun!
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote