Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-14, 08:05 PM  
angie_nrs

Nutrition Guides that come with workouts

Usually when I get a workout kit like P90X, JNL fusion, Body Beast, CLX, LMP or any other system, I rarely even give the nutrition guide a look. I'm by no means a clean eater and I guess I really should pay more attention to the guides, but when I get a kit I buy it for the workouts....not the extra stuff. Actually, looking at the above workout kits, I see that they are all Beach Body. LOL! Hmmmm.....guess I should take a peek at them, maybe they're all the same.

Which guides have you all looked at and followed with good results? Am I the only one that ignores them?
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 08:17 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
Usually when I get a workout kit like P90X, JNL fusion, Body Beast, CLX, LMP or any other system, I rarely even give the nutrition guide a look. I'm by no means a clean eater and I guess I really should pay more attention to the guides, but when I get a kit I buy it for the workouts....not the extra stuff. Actually, looking at the above workout kits, I see that they are all Beach Body. LOL! Hmmmm.....guess I should take a peek at them, maybe they're all the same.

Which guides have you all looked at and followed with good results? Am I the only one that ignores them?
For me, a lot have been unrealistic or hard to follow. Others were just plain boring. The best one I found was the one with Jillian's body revolution - yummy meals and more realistic - at least for me
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 09:07 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I haven't followed the eating programs for any BB series but I stumble across a few good recipes in each of the nutrition guides, usually for snacks or post-workout meals. I remember getting some decent ideas from CLX and P90X.
Old 04-03-14, 10:34 PM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

I read them but I don't follow them. I use them to look for new recipe/meal ideas, but they're all a little too low in calories for me. The pdf guide for Jessica Smith's Cardio Abs was the only one I read that says something like if you're very active you may need more calories. It's frustrating how most of them pick a number of calories & you're supposed to follow the plan whether you're 5'1"or 5'10".

I have one of the beach body ones. It has a few recipes, some tips on eating healthy at a party, a 3 day slim down (basically a shakeology ad), & something called michi's ladder. Michi's ladder is actually pretty helpful. There's 5 tiers of food lists & you're told to try to eat mostly from the top 2 tiers. You can google michi's ladder for the pdf. But if you have a few bb kits I bet they threw it in with all of them.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 11:13 PM  
raeven

I typically would give them a once over and go on about my life because I also would get sets for the workouts. After doing p90x a few years ago for 5.5 months and neither my hubby or me quite got the results we expected to, we figured we should have followed the nutrition guide too, but we didn't want to do the set anymore. Fast forward a few years to now, and we are doing p90x3 together. This time we decided to follow the nutrition guide exactly, and this time we are getting better results and happy. We have only 3 weeks to go (kinda took this week off) and so far I've lost 16lbs and definitely lost inches all over.

Unlike what somebody mentioned, this nutrition guide definitely recommends the calories! Frankly it's too much food for me, and the same for my hubby. But we are sticking it through to the end. We do allow ourselves a lil cheating on weekends, and a touch of sugar in our tea each day. Anyway, it's got us eating very clean so I'm thankful for that! However, I'm anxious to keep eating clean but smaller portions when I'm through with this rotation! I just hope the weight loss continues, or maybe speeds up a touch (I still have a lot to lose)!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 01:11 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeven View Post
Fast forward a few years to now, and we are doing p90x3 together. This time we decided to follow the nutrition guide exactly, and this time we are getting better results and happy. We have only 3 weeks to go (kinda took this week off) and so far I've lost 16lbs and definitely lost inches all over.
that is extremely inspiring! way to go!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 08:04 AM  
raeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
that is extremely inspiring! way to go!
Thank you!! Honestly this is the best success I've had both sticking to something, and steadily losing the weight.

Going on what has also been said.....I'm doing JMBR after this, and I was looking over her meal plan that came with it...and it looks like she does a 1200 calorie a day diet. Sorry, not going to happen! I've learned too often that my body doesn't function and respond well at that low a calorie range..working out or not. So many of these plans are similar to that...so I thought it was funny that the p90x3 plan at least recognizes what your body needs..but recommends more than I can actually eat! Anyway, I'm going to take what I learned from it, tweak it a bit, and move on when I'm done in 3 weeks. I've really enjoyed the set though for anybody on the fence! But I'm at the end of my 90 days...I start to feel trapped and antsy and ready to move on to something else!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 08:20 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Usually they're all pretty much alike, but I got some good recipes out of the one that came with Firm BSS. I remember a chicken with artichoke hearts recipe that was yummy.

There was a guide, written by Tosca Reno, that came with Supreme 90. She had you drink a QUART of water every morning as soon as you got out of bed That was followed by a breakfast of oatmeal and coffee. You'd need some heavy-duty Depends if you had to commute after that.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 08:42 AM  
LoveVA

The Brazil Butt Lift nutrition guide is really good and I've gotten a lot of ideas for lunches to take to work.

I stuck to the BBL guide's calorie limit for me and certainly for the first month, I'd say about 70-80% of my meals were from the nutrition guide. For the second month, I slipped a little in my eating habits, but still about 50% of my meals are straight from the guide. I feel like it made a huge difference in the results that I've gotten. Most importantly, the meal ideas were 100% realistic and I will continue to use them when I'm done with the rotation (only 1 day left!).
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 09:28 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I follow what I believe to be good nutrition, and ignore whatever they're pushing.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, nutrition, program, tosca reno