Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-11, 02:43 PM  
yoni

Yoga Journal - Advance Your Practice & Complete Home Practice

http://www.yogajournal.com/shop/home_practice_dvds/80
http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_ite...tem_id=1578523
The Advance your practice interests me in particular. they are being released sept. 6 but already available on yoga journal.
yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 03:05 PM  
blzgrl

Oooo, these are very tempting.
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 10:23 PM  
laurajhawk

I'll be interested to hear more about these. There's not enough info for me to even be tempted, yet

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:06 AM  
Eibhinn

I'm very interested to hear more about Advance Your Practice. I've actually been thinking for several years now that was a notable gap in the home yoga DVD market - truly intermediate and PROGRESSIVE yoga instruction to help people progress. There are DVDs with very basic instruction and DVDs with very advanced poses but - IMO, please correct me if I'm wrong - not a lot in between and almost nothing showing how one might gradually progress from one to the other (I realize consistency of practice brings progress, but not warrior pose to splits progress). This gap struck me once when using Erich Schiffman's LIVE #2, where he uses a strap to gradually stretch further and further into a more advanced pose, suggesting people stop whereever they get and I thought - "So THAT is how people work up to those difficult poses!" I realize truly advancing is best done in a class, but it's nice to have a DVD alternative since classes aren't a convenient option for many people for many reasons.

Oh, and I found Advance Your Practice listed on a non-YJ website somewhere with a release date in September - the 13th or 14th, I think. Will definitely be looking out for reviews and clips.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:15 AM  
hotncmom

Yes, please post clips of these when available. I am definitely interested.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:17 AM  
CarlaVeg

do you know who the yoga teachers are?

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 12:36 PM  
yahoo205

advance your practice sounds really interesting.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 01:59 PM  
KathAL79

I'm intrigued but won't bite, at least until I have a lot more details. It's an interesting concept, however, so I hope it's well done.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 02:22 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I'm very interested to hear more about Advance Your Practice. I've actually been thinking for several years now that was a notable gap in the home yoga DVD market - truly intermediate and PROGRESSIVE yoga instruction to help people progress. There are DVDs with very basic instruction and DVDs with very advanced poses but - IMO, please correct me if I'm wrong - not a lot in between and almost nothing showing how one might gradually progress from one to the other (I realize consistency of practice brings progress, but not warrior pose to splits progress). This gap struck me once when using Erich Schiffman's LIVE #2, where he uses a strap to gradually stretch further and further into a more advanced pose, suggesting people stop whereever they get and I thought - "So THAT is how people work up to those difficult poses!" I realize truly advancing is best done in a class, but it's nice to have a DVD alternative since classes aren't a convenient option for many people for many reasons.

Oh, and I found Advance Your Practice listed on a non-YJ website somewhere with a release date in September - the 13th or 14th, I think. Will definitely be looking out for reviews and clips.
You're absolutely correct with this assessment in that there really isn't much on the market helping one to progress. The only instructor I've found close to bridging a slight gap in this has been Sadie Nardini but still, it's limiting.

I'm definitely interested in these but like the others, I'm waiting for clips and to see who the teachers end up being.
tigerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 02:32 PM  
yoni

I also agree Eibhinn. I find the master class articles very interesting and they might help you although it's not a dvd. http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/master_class
but they also have the livemag practices which are in video. http://www.yogajournal.com/livemag/
yoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advance your practice, yoga, yoga journal