Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-25-12, 12:12 PM  
MoFirmer

Again.... she has not promoted this teeny tiny to teens.... she stated in the article

"She said she has been sensitive, pointing out that she named the DVD Teen Meta, instead of Metamorphosis, because teenagers already have changing bodies and don’t need a transformation. "

I think a lot of what she says is blown out of proportion as to how she says it. She isn't known for putting things eloquently.
Old 12-25-12, 12:20 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFirmer View Post
Again.... she has not promoted this teeny tiny to teens.... she stated in the article

"She said she has been sensitive, pointing out that she named the DVD Teen Meta, instead of Metamorphosis, because teenagers already have changing bodies and don’t need a transformation. "

I think a lot of what she says is blown out of proportion as to how she says it. She isn't known for putting things eloquently.
ITA. I find that Tracy adopts a very different angle with her pregnancy workouts - more focus on health and well-being - and it seems this is what she will do with her teen DVDs too. Her website says the DVDs feature "an inner-city dance troupe" which is pretty cool.

As a teenager I DESPISED organized fitness activities (school gym classes etc.) and I adored dancing. I would have loved to have a program like that. Two of my teenage nieces (one a cheerleader and the other a competitive gymnast) have borrowed my first TA cardio DVD (Dance Aerobics) and they think it's a blast.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-12, 05:04 PM  
princess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
I agree, I'd never want my daughter exposed to TA at an impressionable age. I am curious what it's all about though. Guess we'll hear the reviews in Feb 2013!

I came across this recent article on TA. She talks (a bit bizarrely if you ask me) about her method, and how her former employees have stolen her moves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/fa...anted=all&_r=0

Can someone please define "proprioception perception"??

ETA: Sorry to get off-topic with the article!!
Omg. Weird quotes!
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 06:45 AM  
ElisaB

I think I fall more or less in the middle between the haters and uber-fans when it comes to Tracy. She bugs me, and her workouts have a dread factor for me, but I still feel like buying almost everything she comes up with.

Here specifically, I would like to check out the Teen Meta to have something to do with my 13 year old, who is naturally slim and long-limbed like her dad - because she inherited his body shape, she probably will never have weight issues, and I hate to think that it might mean she would never make exercise a part of her lifestyle. Assuming there is no mention of being tiny, I think a simpler version of TA's workouts might be fun for us to do together, since together with the long limbs she seems to have inherited a certain lack of coordination from her dad as well and I would like her to have fun and get a decent workout without feeling overwhelmed.

That said, I find myself really agreeing with (and chucking at) this quote:
Gary Diffee, a professor of kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison who examined some of her claims, said, “Like many things of this type, the science seems to be a mixture of true, kind of true, true but irrelevant to the point she is trying to make, and wrong.

That said, I also believe you don't always need to understand how something works to make it work (otherwise many of us woulnd't be able to operate cars, laundry machines or coffee machines ). I think that to some degree the TAM was a happy coincidence, that through experimentation Tracy stumbled upon something that works and she has been trying to make sense of it ever since.

“You don't have to be perfect to be AMAZING
ElisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 08:03 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaB View Post
I think I fall more or less in the middle between the haters and uber-fans when it comes to Tracy. She bugs me, and her workouts have a dread factor for me, but I still feel like buying almost everything she comes up with.
I'm like you too. I love Tracy's mat workout, but there are a few things she said during that workout that made me cringe. As an adult, I can brush it off as a dumb statement.
I bought her meta program and she didn't say anything that bothered me, but my hips could not take her style of training. I feel like I could benefit from her workouts if my darn hip joints didn't bother me. I tried to push through the pain, but the pain got worse each workout.
I will be interested in this program.
I'm not sure how I would feel about TA if I had a teenage daughter, I have sons.
I studied ballet (age 15-18) and my teacher would criticize the girls in my class who had a bit of a belly. I'm a shame to admit it, but I began smoking to keep from eating.
I wish I had someone like Jamie Eason or Cathe to influence my fitness goals through my teenage years....I wish someone would have told me that building muscle is a good thing.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 11:01 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaB View Post

Here specifically, I would like to check out the Teen Meta to have something to do with my 13 year old, who is naturally slim and long-limbed like her dad - because she inherited his body shape, she probably will never have weight issues, and I hate to think that it might mean she would never make exercise a part of her lifestyle. Assuming there is no mention of being tiny, I think a simpler version of TA's workouts might be fun for us to do together, since together with the long limbs she seems to have inherited a certain lack of coordination from her dad as well and I would like her to have fun and get a decent workout without feeling overwhelmed.

That said, I find myself really agreeing with (and chucking at) this quote:
Gary Diffee, a professor of kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison who examined some of her claims, said, “Like many things of this type, the science seems to be a mixture of true, kind of true, true but irrelevant to the point she is trying to make, and wrong.

That said, I also believe you don't always need to understand how something works to make it work (otherwise many of us woulnd't be able to operate cars, laundry machines or coffee machines ). I think that to some degree the TAM was a happy coincidence, that through experimentation Tracy stumbled upon
something that works and she has been trying to make sense of it ever since.
I've never seen that quote.

I think that TA smokes something before she embarks on a new workout. She's gotta get those creative juices flowing somehow.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 10:58 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

http://video.foxnews.com/v/206981550...ylist_id=86912

Footage and news from Teen Meta. Tracy also mentions her latest trampoline DVD.
Old 01-03-13, 11:01 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I've never seen that quote.

I think that TA smokes something before she embarks on a new workout. She's gotta get those creative juices flowing somehow.
LOL, Debbie!
Old 01-03-13, 11:09 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post

Thanks for posting! I think the Teen Dance Cardio looks fun I wish they had shown a little of the Teen MS work too. And it sounds like you get a lot for your money with the new rebounding workout as well, since she has MS & Cardio work in it.
Old 01-04-13, 06:31 PM  
ElisaB

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post

Thank you for posting this! I love the idea of MS with resistance bands! aaaah, my resolve is melting!

“You don't have to be perfect to be AMAZING
ElisaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta, positive messages, proprioception, teen, teen meta, teeny tiny, tracy anderson