Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-12, 09:17 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Tracy's working hard to make sure she stays on my Do-Not-Buy list.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 09:22 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm pretty sure that was taken out of context, and the spirit of what she said was more that yes, she did it the wrong way the first time, and if you do let yourself use pregnancy as an excuse to eat anything and everything, then you're going to have a "disaster" of a hard time getting back to where you were. That's all. And, it's really true!!! Pregnancy or not, it's always easier to maintain than to never gain in the first place. I don't think she meant any judgement (since she did it herself).
Well, yes, but it TA that we're talking about and she is always under a microscope.

I read that article last week and I knew it would find its way here.

Well, I am one of those women to TA refers to. I gained almost 100 lbs during both of pregnancies, and I did have the, "I'm pregnant and I'll eat whatever I want to!" mentally. For the first time I felt free to eat whatever I wanted and not worry about maintaining my so called perfect figure. The weight fell off after my son was born, but it stuck around quite a bit longer after my daughter was born. Today, I wish more than anything that I had a second chance to do my two pregnancies over again.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 09:23 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Tracy's working hard to make sure she stays on my Do-Not-Buy list.
Ha ha
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 09:30 PM  
lovemykid

I agree with you Ronnee!
lovemykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 09:37 PM  
SEV

I don't know anyone who was into fitness and after pregancy thought is was an excuse to stop working out.

And, most people I know get into fitness after pregnancy because they know that is what it takes to get back to the way were.

I don't know anyone who thinks the way Tracy stated. I know I don't know everyone, but.....

My body changed so much after having kids, it will never be the same. It's not like that for everyone. Some people get their body back without doing anything, some get it back by good diet and exercise and some exercise and eat right and are still never the same again.

It's not an excuse when you say your body will never be the same, sometimes it's a fact.

Susan
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 10:52 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm pretty sure that was taken out of context, and the spirit of what she said was more that yes, she did it the wrong way the first time, and if you do let yourself use pregnancy as an excuse to eat anything and everything, then you're going to have a "disaster" of a hard time getting back to where you were. That's all. And, it's really true!!! Pregnancy or not, it's always easier to maintain than to never gain in the first place. I don't think she meant any judgement (since she did it herself).
Actually, I'm sure it was exactly within context of what Tracy meant. The spirit of her message in any context has always been pay extreme amounts of money for extreme services and products with extreme diets sold along with the promise of looking like Madonna or Gwenyth Paltrow. And if you don't at the end of it, its your fault for not being completely obsessed with her program cuz she has tons of followers who do succeed with it, and who are willing to defend her honor with their internet lives.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 10:55 PM  
BamaTanya

I know fitness and weight is a priority for her, but this perspective is narrow, imo. Really, no one -- NO ONE -- knows what another person's experience or genetic makeup or situation is. Instead of admiring all the new celebrity moms who "look terrific after 3 weeks" or are "back in shape after the new baby" on the magazine covers, I thank my lucky stars that I wasn't famous and I wasn't being critiqued by the public after my children's births. I know it's complicated because I had different experiences, sometimes bouncing back easily and other times not.

Of course, I've been more laid back about fitness. I'm not going to be a slave to a scale or a tape measure. I want to gauge my fitness by my health -- my strength, stamina, ability to engage in activity and life, immunity to illness . . . I was amazed by pregnancy and birth and never saw the maternal changes as something to dread.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 11:01 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Amen, Tanya! I agree 100% with your post.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 11:36 PM  
tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEV View Post
I don't know anyone who was into fitness and after pregancy thought is was an excuse to stop working out.

And, most people I know get into fitness after pregnancy because they know that is what it takes to get back to the way were.

I don't know anyone who thinks the way Tracy stated. I know I don't know everyone, but.....

My body changed so much after having kids, it will never be the same. It's not like that for everyone. Some people get their body back without doing anything, some get it back by good diet and exercise and some exercise and eat right and are still never the same again.

It's not an excuse when you say your body will never be the same, sometimes it's a fact.

Susan
My body changed so much too, esp. with the 3rd pregnancy. I only gained 25 pounds with him, and I was super fit then, teaching step and hi/lo classes multiple times per week until three days before he was induced.

As soon as he was born, I started gaining weight at a rapid rate (gained much more in a year than I did when I was pregnant), and was diagnosed with post-partum induced hypothyroidism / Hashimoto's. All this weight gain happened while I was still teaching a ton of classes each week. I also developed stretch marks and spider veins while pregnant that will never go away.

I still exercise almost every day and try to eat well and struggle to this day with my weight, in spite of being on two different thyroid medications, so I always feel a little put off when people imply that everyone's body should bounce back after pregnancy. I am probably sensitive about the subject though.

I know it can be used as an excuse, but I have never taken more than a two week hiatus from working out and still struggle (my youngest is 14).
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 11:41 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Well, yes, but it TA that we're talking about and she is always under a microscope.

<snip>
Well, that's because she's so teeny-tiny. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

It's a shame that this kind of pressure is being put on women to look great soon after (and now even during!) pregnancy. I've never had children so I have no horse in this race.

Tracy comes across very different (ly?) in print vs. live (judging from the few shows I have seen her on). Very judgmental and shallow in print - warm and accepting in person.

Tracy's very lucky she didn't get stretch marks (which I have seen on people no bigger than her, with no more weight gain during pregnancy). Would that have been a personal failing? Would she have come out with such a statement if her body was no longer bikini-worthy? (Oh, the humanity!)

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 08-29-12 at 12:14 AM. Reason: eta: wording
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
post pregnancy, pregnancy, tracy anderson