Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-10, 09:27 AM  
desertMermaid

So what is T-Tapp all about

I know there are previous threads on this but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm just wondering what is so unique about this method? Why is it so expensive? Do I need it? If so where do I start? I know she has a book Fit and Fabulous in 15 minutes which would be a good place to start except I can't do workouts from books, I need an instructor showing the moves in live action, talking to me etc. Pictures and description don't do it for me. Any help, advice, comments, etc would be much appreciated!
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 10:11 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

The website has a try before you buy -- http://www.t-tapp.com/try/

HTH -

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 04:30 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

I would never have been able to learn T-Tapp from the book. Definitely look at the try before you buy clips. Even for experienced exercisers, I think you need to start with the instructionals.

I looked at what's available at the moment, and if I were buying again, I would start with the Total System DVDs. There are some additions it looks like right now celebrating a Tapper who is featured in Women's Day. You get the instructionals, the basic workout, the beginner/rehab workout plus a lot of other stuff for $145. I think when I bought the system in about 2003 I paid $125 and got a lot less than is being offered right now. Looks like the free shipping ends 7/31 and I am thinking some of the free stuff goes away then as well.

You do need to know there is no music. Teresa kind of has a sing-songy chant she does as she cues the workout. If you get the program, don't get seduced by the reports of quick inch loss. Take your time with the instructionals, like a week or 2 each on instructional 1 and instructional 2 so you can really get and be able to hold the tuck, the abs, the lats and the knee-little toe position. I assume the new ones (mine are still the old VCR ones) are still filmed in her living room so be ready for low-tech and no glitz.

A lot of people have good results with T-Tapp. It's not real popular at VF as some folks had poor experiences with Teresa or the workout. I overdid (too many bootcamps, not enough attention to form) and burned myself out on Tapping, but I know if I want to pull in my waist (which is a joke at present since I am carrying around way too many pounds) I just need to pull out Tempo Torso (a more advanced workout) and I can be down an inch in 2 weeks with every other day workouts.

adding: I also still start every workout with her Primary Back stretch and if I am not working out, I will often just do that to get things going.

Pam

Last edited by Dobby; 07-24-10 at 04:32 PM. Reason: uh, believe it or not I forgot something!
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 05:23 PM  
killoffsonny

I used to do T-Tapp a lot. Haven't done it in a year. The only thing I like about it better than any other type of exercise is you don't need ANY equipment (not even a chair or a barre or a counter) and it takes very little space to do the exercises. As far as what it does for the body it is very rehabilitative but I don't think it tones any better than barre work if even as well.
Old 07-24-10, 06:21 PM  
Demeris

I've been tapping on and off for 10 years. I was a tapper before I was a vidiot. If I were just now getting into t-tapp, I would, like Pam, get the total system.

I agree with killoffsonny that Barre tones better, but that may just be I have better barre form. What I love about t-tapp is what it does for my spinal column, my posture, my knees, how I move, and the skeleton/muscle connection awareness it gives me.

If I were learning it right now, I would devote one week to learning each new move: one week perfecting PBS form, the next week, do PBS but use the week perfecting plies (with arm movements) form; the next week do PBS, Plies w/arms, perfect reach-twist (I think that's the next one). I'd give myself several weeks to master BWO. The remaining exercises will come more easily, then. T-tapp really and truly, even more than barre, requires good form. The program grows with us because it grows more difficult as we develop better form.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 06:26 PM  
killoffsonny

I have to verify what Demeris said about form. If you don't have good form in T-Tapp you are spinning wheels.

I also have to say that the main I reason I quit doing T-Tapp (I've been on a couple of sabaticals now since first starting it) is because of dread factor. Just got bored with it. Maybe if Teresa let someone else lead a workout on Dvd I might bite. But something tells me this aint gonna happen. And remember there is no music at all. This does not bother me but I bet it does quite a few people.
Old 07-24-10, 06:35 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Demeris, that sounds like a good way to put T-Tapp together.

Becky, yes the dread factor is what gets me. I was thinking about Tempo Torso after I typed about it and just thinking about Eye of the Tiger....

Pam

Last edited by Dobby; 07-24-10 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added a comment
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 06:58 PM  
desderata

I tried TTapp during one of the times I was recovering from injuries. I found it tedious and boring and noticed that while Teresa Tapp was lean and appeared fit, her background tappers looked anything but lean and fit. If they are chosen to demonstrate the exercises on her workout dvds, I assume they are regular tappers and have good form. They were not good advertisements for the system. I stuck with it for a few weeks, three or four times a week and saw zero results or effect.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 07:37 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Demeris, that sounds like a good way to put T-Tapp together.

Becky, yes the dread factor is what gets me. I was thinking about Tempo Torso after I typed about it and just thinking about Eye of the Tiger....

Pam
Aw Eye of The Tiger!! brings back memories. I hated the lunges the most.......BORING.
Old 07-25-10, 08:40 AM  
desertMermaid

Thank you so much for all the responses, I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to pass for now. It's more money than I'm willing to invest at the moment, plus the reiteration from several people of the dread factor puts me off. I have enough workouts right now that I enjoy and have been neglecting. I don't really believe the claims of magical transformation from doing a particular method, but for some reason I'd like to believe it, and maybe that's what got me asking about T-Tapp.

Anyway, I'll stick with my Barre, Tonique, TA, Classical Stretch, Kettlebells, etc (for now).
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
t-tapp, ttapp