Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-22, 09:29 AM  
momofcha

Cathe for strength or endurance?

I’m looking for actual strength workouts. I did Cathe’s stacked lower body today and it felt so much like an endurance strength workout. Does she have any pure strength workouts- besides the pure strength series. Power Hour? Muscle Max? STS obviously. If I want to work on strength would I be better off with Lift With Cee?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 11:39 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
If I want to work on strength would I be better off with Lift With Cee?
Try a Caroline Girvan program and go heavy. I thought the Iron program was pretty good for an at-home dumbbell program.

I agree that most of Cathe’s tend toward endurance. I would think STS 2 and 3, Pure Strength, and maybe Slow and Heavy would be more strength; I haven’t tried these last two. But most she moves very quickly and does millions of reps.

That said, I think that what works for strength is on a spectrum, and different things can work for different people at different times.

And also, it is very hard to do lower rep, purely “strength-focused” work for legs at home. There are ways around this problem and Cathe is good at programming them. But working out at home with limitations in weight being used, you are going to have to do lots and lots of sets and reps, there is just no way around it.

As to where the line is between calling some of these strength vs. endurance workouts, I’m not exactly sure. I do like her Ripped With HIIT because with the contrast plyo, I think that is a strength and power program, but of course it builds endurance as well.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 01:16 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I just completed a rotation of Cathe's XTrain Burn Sets, and that is definitely a strength workout, but it's only for the upper body.

I agree that she doesn't do much low rep stuff for the lower body. I would have to check, but I think the Perfect 30 Pump Lower Body portion might work.
Keep in mind that you can always do fewer reps and go slower than she does on her endurance workouts. Do one rep for every two that she does.

I agree that Caroline Girvan's Iron Series is excellent. I especially liked the lower body moves, and it's free.

Another great Strength workout is Kelly Coffey Meyer's Muscle Up Lift to Be Fit. I did a rotation with that one. It has her customary two 30 minute workouts. She uses heavy weights, and only does 8 reps in each set. The workouts are short but challenging. I highly recommend this one.
Old 10-31-22, 02:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Cathe's straight lifting:

Pyramids
Slow & Heavy
Body Blast series - Push Pull
Gym Styles

The Firm Standing Legs, Tracie Long, an oldie but goodie, is weights-oriented for the LB.

P90X Legs & Back workout, Tony Horton: all standing with weights for the LB.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 05:29 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I just checked Perfect 30 Pump, and the reps are in the 10 to 12 range for both the upper and lower body. She does do one plyometric move for 16 reps on each leg but you can leave it out if you want. I think that because she was trying to get the workout completed in 30 minutes, she couldn't do endless reps.
Old 11-02-22, 01:43 AM  
laurawd

Strength: depends on how strong you are already, right?
Cathe's Gym Style Legs, Max Intensity Strength (could do legs only), Butts and Guts (her very best, IMO), and the Perfect Pump 30- all good for hypertrophy if you go at it.

Girvan - yes, Iron is good but these are also time-under-tension based. You can use Cathe's in the same way (more ToT), you can mix them.

Are you going for strength and/or hypertrophy? Strength - as others have said - best built in low rep range with heavy weights.
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-22, 02:23 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

When I restarted early this year, I didn't want to do 15-16 reps for the lower body, even with just body weight. At that time I looked around for a lower body workout that kept the reps in the 10 -12 rep range. Meso 2 is like that but I don't own that set. All of my dvds seemed to be high rep. I ended up doing 2 sets of 10 basic squats, lunges, plies, hips lifts, and step ups on my own without a dvd.

I have since discovered some dvds that I mentioned above, but I did not have them when I began. I didn't have to worry about outgrowing what I could lift over my head because progress has been slow, and I still don't lift super heavy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can always design a workout that meets your needs if you can't find the right dvd.
Old 11-02-22, 02:45 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I just checked Perfect 30 Pump, and the reps are in the 10 to 12 range for both the upper and lower body. She does do one plyometric move for 16 reps on each leg but you can leave it out if you want. I think that because she was trying to get the workout completed in 30 minutes, she couldn't do endless reps.
That’s great thanks. Yes, looking for reps in the 12-15 rep range. Not specifically lower body either. Upper and lower or total body

Old 11-02-22, 02:47 PM  
momofcha

I did a Heather Robertson today. I think i need to try Caroline Girvans iron series.

Old 11-02-22, 02:50 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
I’m looking for actual strength workouts. I did Cathe’s stacked lower body today and it felt so much like an endurance strength workout. Does she have any pure strength workouts- besides the pure strength series. Power Hour? Muscle Max? STS obviously. If I want to work on strength would I be better off with Lift With Cee?
Power Hour is more endurance based, since it's designed to go with the music selection.

Muscle Max is done at a slower pace with moderate to heavy weights used. I really like this one!

So many of Cathe's workouts tend to be endurance based when the rep speed is done so quickly. I found in a few of Cathe's workouts where she is lifting heavy, she has to remind herself (and crew) to slow the pace down if she catches that she's going too fast when filming. And, she's able to lift much heavier weights (than most of us) done at that speed.

Many of her workouts have a combined cardio or metabolic effect, so you can't grab heavier weights for strength building with that type of workout.

If you like Cee, she has some nice strength building routines. I love Cathe but it's not uncommon for me to have to pause the DVD in order to keep up the pace or to change out my weights.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe heavy weights, cathe strength workouts, endurance