Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-18, 07:50 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

The BBB page for Rodale "reviews & complaints" says,

Quote:
The BBB files indicate that the majority of complaints filed by consumers claim that the company is automatically sending books to consumers that were never ordered and it bills them for the unordered merchandise. The company resolves complaints by canceling the order and the bill and removing consumers contact information from future promotions. Consumers should be aware of the business's use of "negative option" which is the practice of providing products or service automatically, and the customer must either pay or specifically decline the product in advance of billing.
Also:

"All in 18" (a 2017 thread that started discussing ordering problems)
"Rodale.com: VFers describe ordering problems" (a thread based on that previous one)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-18, 08:45 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

This is so scary. Nowadays when streaming is so popular you'd think they go out of their way to make DVD shoppers happy. Very bad business. I make sure never look at their site again, just in case. Good luck to you!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-18, 08:47 AM  
laurajhawk

I appreciate this thread - I knew VFers had had problems with Rodale, but hadn't realized or remembered that just looking at the products (or filling in a form to see the final cost) could cause them to ship. I will also avoid the site entirely.
Thanks for posting, Bubbles, and good luck getting it sorted out!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-18, 10:17 AM  
wendug

This seems like an insanely stupid business practice to send items that people do not order. What business school did they attend? Or do people pay to just not have to deal with their customer service?
Old 06-21-18, 01:46 PM  
gladgirl

So sorry you have to deal with this horrendous company business practices. This is beyond crazy. The time spent in trying to return a product you did not buy or want...insanity, and they want you to pay for return!

Thank you for sharing your story...and I do hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction and at no cost to you.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 08:47 PM  
bubbles76

Hi. Just wanted to give an update. The BBB contacted Hearst/Rodale, who contacted me through the BBB. Basically Hearst cancelled the balance due on the account and said that the DVD does not need to be returned. They also apologized for the inconvenience. BBB then asked if that resolved the issue. I clicked that it did, but also added onto the email that Hearst should get that computer glitch fixed, since it appears to be a recurring issue. I doubt anything will get done, but I'm glad I said something. Maybe if enough people complain something will happen?

Anyway, I finally opened up the package, and it turns out they sent a bill with it. I may wait to try the actual workout though. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks for listening! And once again, beware Rodale!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 02:44 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

bubbles, I'm so glad you got this resolved through "proper channels". This is the kind of stupid thing that could put a blemish on your credit record if they kept sending you bills and you didn't pay them since it was for an unsolicited product. Their behavior is fraudulent IMO. Good for you for at least trying to help some other unsuspecting person.

Note to self: don't even go to Rodale's website.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 03:20 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Glad this got worked out, Bubbles, but WHAT a hassle for something that is so obviously the company's (slimy, sleazeball, deceptive-practice) fault.

I subscribe to Women's Health magazine and so get emailed all the Rodale workout offers. After this thread and others' experiences, I don't even want to risk opening one of those emails.
Old 06-30-18, 03:34 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Hi Bubbles, sorry this happened to you, but I'm so glad you got it solved, phew! What a headache! I've ordered twice from them without any issues in the past. I've also checked a while back the price of a set and I had to fill some info, when I was done I clicked "X", then I remembered what some people has said here, same as your experience, and I panicked, I contacted them letting them know that I was checking for the price of an item but didn't order, so I was hoping I would not get a bad surprised later, they replied telling me that there were not order placed by me... I wonder if they only do what they did to you to US customer?

Just curious though... What DVD was it?!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 04:19 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
... I wonder if they only do what they did to you to US customer?

Just curious though... What DVD was it?!
It was the Selena Watkins Dance dvd
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad customer service, beware rodale, rodale, rodale rip off, rodale scam, rodale unwanted package, rodale.com