Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-16, 09:36 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
And it is because of commenters like you that you will no longer see me on this forum again.
Wow, what did I miss here? Someone please fill me in! I love board drama.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 03-25-16, 09:44 AM  
froggy

False alarm. There was some miscommunication but no drama.
Old 03-25-16, 09:52 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliholli915 View Post
Bwahahahahaha!!!! AsSweetAsSugar, I have never laughed harder at a post. Well, maybe I laughed almost this hard at the article that generated all of the responses to this thread!
Before I leave for good, I wanted to say that the people who post here on VF really need to give some consideration to the fact that blatantly making fun of a person, like the above posters chose to do, is affecting - not the computer screen they are writing on - but a person with actual feelings. It is because of commenters like the above, and a general trend towards negativity and a lack of respect for others, that I am leaving VF permanently after I finish this one final post.

Just to set the record straight, as far as the posts that I decided to erase on this thread, and that I was singled out as looking like a fool for doing, this is how I really feel:

I am not a rabid Tracy worshiper. I do think her workouts have value, and I credit her for changing my views on which workouts are enjoyable and effective, and for broadening my mind to see that a tough workout does not always involve lifting heavy weights. I wouldn't want anyone else to miss out on workouts that they may enjoy, simply because of reading critics describe her extreme followers (on social media) in shaming ways, or of reading another person say they feel like they are a "chump" or a "sucker" since they bought her workouts (after reading a badly edited, but possibly true, article on the internet). Even if Tracy said every single word in the article that was linked to, that still does not change the effectiveness of the workouts themselves. My ONLY concern when I read negative threads like this one, is that it would somehow prevent someone from trying her workouts, when they could actually be something they would really enjoy and benefit greatly from. My making the choice of singling out a few particular phrases in one of my comments was wrong (as Bubbles pointed out), since the person was only saying how she felt about herself personally. But some of the other language used, especially insinuating that it is a "cult...sorta" or calling Tracy's fans irrational was uncalled for. And no, Chomper, I do not take offense to those things personally or suffer from some identity-confusion with Tracy Anderson. I simply don't want an article on the internet, and the extreme reaction by some to said article (from both fans and critics alike) to prevent anyone from trying her workouts - for the wrong reasons. Because her workouts do not reflect her unintelligent explanations of her method.

As for how I personally feel about TA and her "science" - anyone with half a brain can read what she says and call BS. I don't believe most of what she says, and I am sometimes left confused as to what she is even trying to say. Other times, I understand what she's trying to say, and I think some of it has some truth to it, but it comes off as questionable because of her inability to vocalize what she is thinking, as well as her mistake of trying to improve her credibility by describing things "scientifically", which only makes her look like a babbling idiot. She is also wrong for making blanket statements of other workout methods or for shaming certain physiques as a marketing ploy. But her having the inability to speak, or to vocalize what she does in an intelligible way, does NOT mean that her workouts aren't worth something. Her true intelligence is proven in her creativity and her ability to come up with such innovative workouts. Her workouts speak for themselves. That is why I choose to not listen to anything she says, because most of it makes no sense. But her workouts make sense to me, and they have only added joy to my fitness life - a joy I want others to experience as well.

I happen to love science and anatomy. I also happen to be passionate about kettlebells, heavy lifting in the gym, and I own every single Cathe workout ever made to date. I have been a Cathe fan from the very beginning of her making vhs. But TA is still in my top three favorite instructors of all time, along with Cathe and Jill Miller. Her workouts are creative and fresh and effective for me, and they enhance both my fitness level and my motivation to workout. My fitness life would be very sad without her workouts in it, and I wouldn't want anyone else to miss out on them simply because the girl can't talk, or she makes foolish statements that have no bearing on the actual workouts.

Anyway, I hope that clears up my viewpoints. I do not feel I am an extreme Tracy fan by any means. And I also have no problem when people criticize the stupid things SHE says, but I do have a problem when it starts to be directed towards the people who use her workouts, and I especially have a problem when her workouts are discounted by a person who has never even done one before. Anyone who can criticize a workout that they have never tried personally has no credibility in my book, and I would never want an inexperienced opinion like that to be the reason that somebody else hesitates to try her workouts.

And to anyone else who has chosen to take this thread, and other threads on vf, to such a personally insulting level, where you are outright making fun of another member for any reason...well, you are the reason I will never post on VF again. This used to be a place with more support and kindness and tact. It has now become a place I no longer choose to participate in.
Old 03-25-16, 10:00 AM  
froggy

So sorry you feel the need to leave Yelly. I don't believe that poster intended to make fun of you at all even though it may feel that way to you. Perhaps you could sort it in pms and stay. I really value the wide range of opinions I get to read here and hate when anyone leaves.
Old 03-25-16, 10:21 AM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
So sorry you feel the need to leave Yelly. I don't believe that poster intended to make fun of you at all even though it may feel that way to you. Perhaps you could sort it in pms and stay. I really value the wide range of opinions I get to read here and hate when anyone leaves.
I agree! No one can tell you how you should feel, Yelly, but to my eyes Sugar's post was really just a play on words, and not a personal attack at all!

The only thing I know for sure is that Yak butter doesn't have 800 calories/tablespoon. (Unless they've worked with it in the Hadron collider and figured out a way to give Yak butter the mass of molten lead. And before anyone calls me out, no I haven't done the math - I don't know if yak butter with the mass of molten lead would have 800 calories/tbsp!)

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
Old 03-25-16, 10:23 AM  
PhyllisG

I am posting to ask you to reconsider and stay. I Am basically like you....Cathe from way back when....and also enjoy TA's creativity and freshness. I have enjoyed your posts and your avatar. I actually found Tracey's workouts to be a breath of fresh air after years of lifting. I got so tired of the constant go heavy, increase your weight and then I think micro loading really was the last straw.
When I had to go buy 3 lb weights I felt embarrassed. Then I realized that is your ego girl. Who cares what someone thinks.
Reconsider please.
Old 03-25-16, 10:24 AM  
Chomper

Yelly, I didn't understand why you deleted your posts when you made some valid points. I also don't understand how you can value an instructor so highly when you acknowledge she looks like a babbling idiot. I guess you think of her as an idiot savant?

I never said anyone had identity confusion with Tracy Anderson. As far as I can tell, you find TA's method such an important part of your life and who you are that it upsets you deeply that anonymous people you don't know might not ever try her workouts now because of negative press. So deeply that you are leaving this forum, and a discussion that has been fairly civil.

Somebody misread the tone of your posts (what was left of them) and made a silly joke. That's all that happened here.

I wish you the best of luck. I will miss you, as I am sure a lot of us will.
Old 03-25-16, 10:29 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I thought NROLW had a somewhat "mansplaining" tone that I didn't care for. Then again, it was written in 2007 before Crossfit really took off and sent women flocking to barbells, and the toning-sculpting thing was more the norm.

The words "Barbie" and "pink" don't appear at all in Strong, and it seems to focus more on positive examples than calling-out.
That's good to know. Even though I can't lift heavy anymore(I get recurring elbow tendinitis. Every. Time.), I appreciate what heavy lifting can do for women. I did like how Schuler helped women to not fear the weight room.
Old 03-25-16, 10:31 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
Before I leave for good, I wanted to say that the people who post here on VF really need to give some consideration to the fact that blatantly making fun of a person, like the above posters chose to do, is affecting - not the computer screen they are writing on - but a person with actual feelings. It is because of commenters like the above, and a general trend towards negativity and a lack of respect for others, that I am leaving VF permanently after I finish this one final post.

Just to set the record straight, as far as the posts that I decided to erase on this thread, and that I was singled out as looking like a fool for doing, this is how I really feel:

I am not a rabid Tracy worshiper. I do think her workouts have value, and I credit her for changing my views on which workouts are enjoyable and effective, and for broadening my mind to see that a tough workout does not always involve lifting heavy weights. I wouldn't want anyone else to miss out on workouts that they may enjoy, simply because of reading critics describe her extreme followers (on social media) in shaming ways, or of reading another person say they feel like they are a "chump" or a "sucker" since they bought her workouts (after reading a badly edited, but possibly true, article on the internet). Even if Tracy said every single word in the article that was linked to, that still does not change the effectiveness of the workouts themselves. My ONLY concern when I read negative threads like this one, is that it would somehow prevent someone from trying her workouts, when they could actually be something they would really enjoy and benefit greatly from. My making the choice of singling out a few particular phrases in one of my comments was wrong (as Bubbles pointed out), since the person was only saying how she felt about herself personally. But some of the other language used, especially insinuating that it is a "cult...sorta" or calling Tracy's fans irrational was uncalled for. And no, Chomper, I do not take offense to those things personally or suffer from some identity-confusion with Tracy Anderson. I simply don't want an article on the internet, and the extreme reaction by some to said article (from both fans and critics alike) to prevent anyone from trying her workouts - for the wrong reasons. Because her workouts do not reflect her unintelligent explanations of her method.

As for how I personally feel about TA and her "science" - anyone with half a brain can read what she says and call BS. I don't believe most of what she says, and I am sometimes left confused as to what she is even trying to say. Other times, I understand what she's trying to say, and I think some of it has some truth to it, but it comes off as questionable because of her inability to vocalize what she is thinking, as well as her mistake of trying to improve her credibility by describing things "scientifically", which only makes her look like a babbling idiot. She is also wrong for making blanket statements of other workout methods or for shaming certain physiques as a marketing ploy. But her having the inability to speak, or to vocalize what she does in an intelligible way, does NOT mean that her workouts aren't worth something. Her true intelligence is proven in her creativity and her ability to come up with such innovative workouts. Her workouts speak for themselves. That is why I choose to not listen to anything she says, because most of it makes no sense. But her workouts make sense to me, and they have only added joy to my fitness life - a joy I want others to experience as well.

I happen to love science and anatomy. I also happen to be passionate about kettlebells, heavy lifting in the gym, and I own every single Cathe workout ever made to date. I have been a Cathe fan from the very beginning of her making vhs. But TA is still in my top three favorite instructors of all time, along with Cathe and Jill Miller. Her workouts are creative and fresh and effective for me, and they enhance both my fitness level and my motivation to workout. My fitness life would be very sad without her workouts in it, and I wouldn't want anyone else to miss out on them simply because the girl can't talk, or she makes foolish statements that have no bearing on the actual workouts.

Anyway, I hope that clears up my viewpoints. I do not feel I am an extreme Tracy fan by any means. And I also have no problem when people criticize the stupid things SHE says, but I do have a problem when it starts to be directed towards the people who use her workouts, and I especially have a problem when her workouts are discounted by a person who has never even done one before. Anyone who can criticize a workout that they have never tried personally has no credibility in my book, and I would never want an inexperienced opinion like that to be the reason that somebody else hesitates to try her workouts.

And to anyone else who has chosen to take this thread, and other threads on vf, to such a personally insulting level, where you are outright making fun of another member for any reason...well, you are the reason I will never post on VF again. This used to be a place with more support and kindness and tact. It has now become a place I no longer choose to participate in.
I thought you stated your viewpoint quite well and with class. I'm sorry you were hurt by things that were said. I think communicating via a computer screen is hard as you can't see facial expressions and have back and forth, face to face dialogue.
Old 03-25-16, 10:33 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Yelly, I didn't understand why you deleted your posts when you made some valid points. I also don't understand how you can value an instructor so highly when you acknowledge she looks like a babbling idiot. I guess you think of her as an idiot savant?

I never said anyone had identity confusion with Tracy Anderson. As far as I can tell, you find TA's method such an important part of your life and who you are that it upsets you deeply that anonymous people you don't know might not ever try her workouts now because of negative press. So deeply that you are leaving this forum, and a discussion that has been fairly civil.

Somebody misread the tone of your posts (what was left of them) and made a silly joke. That's all that happened here.

I wish you the best of luck. I will miss you, as I am sure a lot of us will.
As to the bolded part, I think that TA's workouts just work for Yelly and many others. They are very effective for certain people. As I said before, I didn't like the tone of Lou Schuler in NROL4W, but that didn't mean I don't think his stuff works for some people.

Tags
tracy anderson