Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-16, 07:37 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

There is a roadtrip facebook page (if you're on facebook) that you can ask to be added to once you're registered. You can 'meet' people there and set up any room sharing, etc. You'll see folks posting photos from the trip there also.

It is intimidating and it is true, there are a lot of regulars and groups of people who have gone several times before who have what I call 'shared memories' - you have gone through something together and it forms a bond and you talk about those things over and over. Over time you get to know these people. I have met a couple of ladies several times and now I feel more comfortable.

My first trip was to Chicago in 2012 and there were probably a dozen+ who clustered around her a lot. (Later on I figured out a lot of them were in her first cycling video.) I was shy. My husband finally stopped her in the hallway between classes and told her it was my dream to meet her, would she please stop and take a picture with me. Well, me and 2 other newbies I had been working out beside (who were petrified also), got to get our photos taken with her right then and there. She was so gracious about it. I think the regulars just forget that there are newbies there, too, and it's their dream to meet her as well and they need to give those folks some space. They had a first time, too, they just seem to forget. Her first Chicago trip she had close to 150 (per Chris) and it was a huge turnout, so of course the lines to meet her were longer, but it turned out just fine.

This last year (second trip to Glassboro) I had my photo taken with Cathe and the crew and one with just the two of us. Because I already have several DVD's signed by her, I bowed out of that line and let others enjoy that experience and took photos of different things to post on FB and Flickr. I took photos for people, held their stuff when they were meeting her, introduced a young lady from S. Africa to Cathe (because I felt it was important she know how far this lady had traveled and she know who she was), etc. Fitfairy and I even encouraged this young lady to go with us on a side trip to Kelly Coffey-Meyer's gym and she got to meet Kelly, take a class and she had a blast.

Please do not let anyone intimidate you or make you feel like an outsider. Lobby parties are another story and people will cluster up, but if you bring food (snacks) and make yourself visible, things will open up for you.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate

Last edited by Gibbee; 01-08-16 at 07:49 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 07:46 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I'm going to try to register for the road trip. I've never been to one before and I am also introverted. We can connect if you decide to go too.
I think I'm going to try as well! I'll let you know if I am successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
There is a roadtrip facebook page (if you're on facebook) that you can ask to be added to once you're registered. You can 'meet' people there and set up any room sharing, etc. You'll see folks posting photos from the trip there also.

It is intimidating and it is true, there are a lot of regulars and groups of people who have gone several times before who have what I call 'shared memories' - you have gone through something together and it forms a bond and you talk about those things over and over. Over time you get to know these people. I have met a couple of ladies several times and now I feel more comfortable.

My first trip was to Chicago in 2012 and there were probably a dozen+ who clustered around her a lot. (Later on I figured out a lot of them were in her first cycling video.) I was shy. My husband finally stopped her in the hallway between classes and told her it was my dream to meet her, would she please stop and take a picture with me. Well, me and 2 other newbies I had been working out beside (who were petrified also), got to get our photos taken with her right then and there. She was so gracious about it. I think the regulars just forget that there are newbies there, too, and it's their dream to meet her as well and they need to give those folks some space. They had a first time, too, they just seem to forget. Her first Chicago trip she had close to 150 (per Chris) and it was a huge turnout, so of course the lines to meet her were longer, but it turned out just fine.
It looks like the Glassboro one is limited to 105; a little smaller, but still a sizeable number of people.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-16, 12:03 PM  
LoveVA

So is it the case that you can only sign up for this roadtrip on the Facebook fan page? If so, I guess I'm out. I can't access facebook from work.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-16, 01:19 PM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
So is it the case that you can only sign up for this roadtrip on the Facebook fan page? If so, I guess I'm out. I can't access facebook from work.
No, she posts the info on facebook, but you sign up on her site. I think it's full now, but you might want to get on the wait list. A lot of people sign up and can't go (this was me last year). Here's the link, : http://cathe.com/2016-glassboro-road-trip.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-16, 08:50 AM  
jusca

I'm late to this thread and the class. os full from what I've heard bit I wanted to say to my fellow introverts please don't let your introvertedness scare you away from a once in a lifetime event. No need to feel pressure to fit in with the talkative pack. It's perfectly fine if you're quiet and dont say much to others. Just enoy yourself!
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-16, 04:07 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

You will find that there are cliques at the road trip, but you will find many more people who are there alone and are looking to meet other people. I noticed that some people will stay at the same table for every meal throughout the weekend, but I try to go to different tables for meals, so that I can meet more people. Mealtime is when you will have time to talk to other people. The rest of the time, you will be taking fitness classes and too out of breath to talk! I agree that there is no pressure to talk or mingle; it's a wonderful opportunity to be on your own, having fun.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe road trip, cathe road trip 2016