Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-14, 04:13 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetblonde View Post
That last bit just blew my mind

Honestly!?!?
Ha! I didn't mind the Meta music at first, but after a few weeks, I was almost looney.

I'm another who would definitely not recommend TA cardio for someone with PF. I actually developed PF while I was doing Meta. That was the nail in the coffin for me.

It seems VFers who have done other cardio have still had good results. I don't think there is anything magical about her cardio. Just steady state and move in different ways (not repetitive motions like running, elliptical, etc.) and you're still being true to her method.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 05:44 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Her dance workouts do burn a lot of calories, at least for me. I do all my indoor cardio holding a pair of 2 lb. dumbbells, and my total calorie burn is pretty close to the calories I burn running for the same length of time. Plus, the better you get with muscular structure work, the more sweaty you'll get. I'm always amazed how my heart rate stays within my working zone during her muscular structure work.

I do recommend starting out slowly and building up. Maybe start with 20 reps. My wrists were pretty messed up when I first started Meta. I had to stop about every 10th rep and stretch. Fast forward almost 3 years, and I don't even need to use my Griptz during her workouts and my yoga workouts.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 10:53 PM  
goldenphoenix

I'm glad some of you can still get result without doing her cardio, which I can't stand. I need to restart her program again.

Btw, I bought both Glute and Omni several months ago at BBB, and Omni is still shrink-wrapped. Couldn't pass a good deal.
Old 09-11-14, 02:06 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Her dance workouts do burn a lot of calories, at least for me. I do all my indoor cardio holding a pair of 2 lb. dumbbells, and my total calorie burn is pretty close to the calories I burn running for the same length of time. Plus, the better you get with muscular structure work, the more sweaty you'll get. I'm always amazed how my heart rate stays within my working zone during her muscular structure work.

I do recommend starting out slowly and building up. Maybe start with 20 reps. My wrists were pretty messed up when I first started Meta. I had to stop about every 10th rep and stretch. Fast forward almost 3 years, and I don't even need to use my Griptz during her workouts and my yoga workouts.
I also use weighted gloves when I do TA's cardio and my Bellicon on most of the moves.

I also sweat a lot with her ms work even though I normally don't with other floorwork. And my wrists did hurt when I first started Meta but now they don't bother me at all. I was doing other plank stuff along with Meta but I was doing those types of workouts anyway. Now, I can do TA's MS work and workouts with lots of planks with no problems.

So ditto to everything Debbie mentioned.
Old 09-20-14, 02:15 AM  
oogy99

I have been consistently doing Tracy for about one year now and have gotten great results (but I also cleaned up my diet).

I don't like the Meta Cardio, but after a lot of effort (and I mean ALOT) I learned 4 of the dances on her 2008 Cardio Dance DVD. I am a TERRIBLE dancer, but it was weirdly fun and satisfying to finally learn all the moves and be able to do the dances to my own music.

It's still quite a lot of high impact, though, so I only do Tracy's dance cardio occasionally. I do walking (I have a dog and a fitbit) or Cathe's low-impact HIIT or Afterburn, which are both great (they can be done for 30 minutes or longer).

I have also used Chris Freytag's HIIT series, which is also only 30 minutes, or KCM's Boxing/Kickboxing videos. Chris Freytag always shows low-impact variations.

Sometimes I also use the 10 minute solutions HIIT for cardio, which some people found too easy (not high intensity enough) but it's fine for me!

If you have the Brazil Butt Lift set, I found that the Cardio Axe routine was great for a low-impact dance cardio—it's not that challenging, but it's fun and in the spirit of Tracy's "dance" preference!
oogy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 08:50 PM  
angie_nrs

Thank you all for your replies! I have been following your advise....so very much appreciated!

I'm on week 4.....only 3 days left of the second rotation until I move on. It's funny how on the first couple of days of a new 10-day disc there seems to be a lot of 'catching up' and breaks....but by the 5th or 6th time through, it's much better. I can tell a huge difference in my core, muscle definition, wrist and forearm strength, and most noticeably my balance. I'm sure that's due to the increased core strength. I'm only doing 5 days per week instead of 6 and still not really changing my diet (which isn't the best) and still very happy with how I'm doing. I will be taking new measurements this weekend. By the feel of my clothes, I know I've tightened up.

I did purchase the Cardio + workout as recommended. It's much better on my heel, but I still don't like the cardio much. I tried to keep with it, but I have been doing Cathe 30 min. cardio's like kickboxing, X10, step, or bootcamp instead. I also threw in a TurboJam that was my first time thru....not hugely challenging, but it was fun and dancy and I did sweat, so I thought it was close to keeping with the program. I like finishing up with Cathe so that I also get a decent stretch. Plus, I feel like if I do the TA first, then the cardio is more of a reward since it is not monotonous as I am doing something different every day. I know I 'should' do the dancing every day.....but I just can't make myself. It's a chore to throw it in there even 2 days per week, but I'm gonna try and do that. Having the Cardio+ workouts will make it a little easier to try and keep that going. Having other cardio workouts in the rotation really helps keep me motivated, so I'm sure I'll keep doing that.

I'm really surprised how much I like the sculpting workouts so far. This is a huge plus for me b/c I really thought I was going to hate it. I like it much more than most of the Barre-type of workouts I own. Those small and unique moves are really doing a number on my trouble areas. Yeah!!!! To see and notice changes already without really following the program to a T and not following a diet at all is so awesome. I can't imagine what kind of progress I'd be seeing at this point if I was the perfect student.

So far this is easily the best purchase I have made in a very long time.
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 05:03 AM  
PhyllisG

I finished the Omni rotation a few years back and never did Tracy's dance cardio. I walked with Leslie instead. I too had done Cathe for years and was very surprised by my results. Everything slimmed down along with my appetite. Plus I sweated with Omni like I never had before.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta, omni, ta meta, tracy anderson