Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-10, 05:59 PM  
DEEDEE

I don't think Insanity started it. I think Bootcamp style works period started it.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 06:25 PM  
Alan

I may out of the swing of things, but I haven't really noticed any kind of "high impact craze" per se. I do think there's a trend towards "high intensity," and the fact that higher intensity workouts tend to be higher impact may just make it seem that way.

Personally I don't think 30 Day Shred is particularly high impact compared to lots of stuff on the market, and even Insanity isn't too bad compared to some other workouts I've tried. You could also throw kettlebells into the mix as part of the high intensity trend even though they have essentially zero impact.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 06:51 PM  
icebergslim

For me, Cathe really got the juices at high impact going with her Imax and Imax2, along with her Bootcamp (which is the REAL BOOTCAMP). I felt accomplished that I could eventually FINISH her Bootcamp DVD it was that well thought out and gave results, the only cringe was all that equipment.

Now Beachbody has done their homework on the fitness market and from the constant reports that Americans are just fat a$$es. Here comes insanity with focus on cardio and people equate performing cardio with weight loss, when the program may do that but is really geared for cardio endurance. None the less, the population has caved and many know what the insanity program is, the program is all over television and Beachbody is making millions on this program.

Lastly, many are getting injuries because they don't understand the concept that HiiT and high impact workouts are not geared to do more than 2x's a week. Hell, Plyo X from P90X which is a solid workout is definitely not recommended more than 2x's a week. All that jumping, lunging, etc., will take a toll on your knees. Many people don't understand how to land without injury, etc. So, these workouts are just out there and folks are purchasing them and eventually get hurt. Even Cathe had knee surgery!!! You can't jump forever!!
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:19 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

That's true about jumping too much taking a toll on the knees, Icebergslim. There are a lot of things that could contribute to high impact causing injuries including jumping on an unforgiving surface, wearing the wrong shoes, not landing correctly, etc..
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:26 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
That's true about jumping too much taking a toll on the knees, Icebergslim. There are a lot of things that could contribute to high impact causing injuries including jumping on an unforgiving surface, wearing the wrong shoes, not landing correctly, etc..
When my husband stalled on his weight loss, I directed him to P90X Plyometrics. And told him to watch and listen to Tony Horton and his explanation on landing on your feet properly after jumps. He helped me more than Cathe ever did in how you are suppose to land after these moves. And I told my husband to only work this exercise into his schedule 2x's a week, after his first workout he even said no one should do that workout more than twice a week. These types of workouts wear you out and wears your body out, especially your knees. Shoes are critical, which I told my husband to purchase a different pair for this type of workout (running shoes or your regular kick around the house sneaks won't do), your flooring is critical, all that is part of the equation to avoid injury. But we all know that folks purchasing Insanity are not thinking like that. Many jump into it without proper instruction, wanting to lose weight and end up getting hurt. I have read on the boards, forums about folks getting hurt from Insanity more than anything else.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:53 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergslim View Post
Shoes are critical, which I told my husband to purchase a different pair for this type of workout (running shoes or your regular kick around the house sneaks won't do).
Are you talking about those gel-soled type of shoes?
Old 09-16-10, 08:42 PM  
hotncmom

I know a guy who started P90X last year and was doing well and losing weight, and a couple of months in he injured his shoulder to the point he was unable to perform any upper body strength moves. Well, he just fizzled out after that...no more P90X, but no more exercise, period. It's a shame that these programs are marketed as quick weight loss programs when what they really are is elite conditioning programs for people who are already in great shape (compared to most people). I've been exercising for years and I wouldn't touch P90X and I'm just getting to the point where I think I might be able to handle Insanity. But I guess if BB just marketed to people like us, they wouldn't be making millions and millions.

The problem is that the he-men out there want something that looks hardcore. And they're oblivious to the fact that they can really hurt themselves by pushing so hard. The first time I did Tonique I was so sore I had to take it easy for several days. Yet these hardcore BB programs do not encourage rest days if you're sore, they just want you to keep pushing, and if you're sore, you're not going to use proper form, and you're going to get hurt.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 12:18 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I know a guy who started P90X last year and was doing well and losing weight, and a couple of months in he injured his shoulder to the point he was unable to perform any upper body strength moves.
I think the way P90X is set up, with old school bodybuilding splits - back and biceps one day, shoulders and triceps the next (or whatever) is asking for trouble. The trainers at my gym set up a similar program for me, which contributed to my shoulder injury, and I've seen people on other forums who have had similar experiences. IMO, that type of split is outdated and potentially injurious.
Old 09-17-10, 05:37 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergslim View Post
Even Cathe had knee surgery!!! You can't jump forever!!
If I remember correctly, Cathe's knee surgery was due to a skiing accident.
Old 09-17-10, 05:38 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
I think the way P90X is set up, with old school bodybuilding splits - back and biceps one day, shoulders and triceps the next (or whatever) is asking for trouble. The trainers at my gym set up a similar program for me, which contributed to my shoulder injury, and I've seen people on other forums who have had similar experiences. IMO, that type of split is outdated and potentially injurious.
Just curious ... what is wrong with that kind of split? What body parts would you group together?

I like complete upper splits. It's been a long time since I've done the 1-2 body parts a day thing.

Tags
bodypart splits, cathe injury, fitness trends, high impact, hiit, insanity, p90x, split routines, splits