Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-10, 01:20 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

The latest high impact craze - Did Insanity cause it?

I've noticed that ever since Insanity, there are lots of new DVD workouts being released that have very high impact floor aerobics. There seem to be a lot of bootcamp-style moves incorporated into these workouts. Even though these kinds of workouts existed before Insanity, it seems like everyone is coming out with some version of Insanity-like workouts.

Do you think Insanity started a new trend?

How do you feel about these super-high impact workouts with lots of plyo and anaerobic intervals (short, intense bursts that bring you to fatigue)?

Which of the new super-high impact workouts do you like or dislike?

My opinion:

I think Insanity started the trend.

I like plyo and jumping, but don't like quickly going up and down from the floor (it makes me feel sick). I enjoy the challenge of Hiit (high intensity interval training) workouts, feel like I am increasing my endurance, and feel like I am burning lots of calories. I worry, however, that doing too much impact will eventually take a toll on my knees or cause some other injury.

I like Turbo Fire Hiit workouts.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 05:42 AM  
adrien_73

I've always loved high impact, until recently...

I have a knee injury that is seriously limiting the amount of cardio I can do. Overuse in general (including high impact cardio, running, strength training and kbells and more...) caused it. Ortho doc says only walking for cardio and no lunges. After doing intense, HIIT workouts for so long, it is very difficult for me to find workouts that get me in my cardio zone without high impact. I am already starting to gain weight.

I am not sure that Insanity exclusively caused the trend, since there was a spike in HIIT at that same time. I think Insanity influenced the craze we see now, but I think it was just publicizing and zeroing in on a fitness trend that was already starting to surface.

Personally, I don't like HIIT for the reason mentioned above...it has made my level of cardio endurance so high that the lower intensity workouts do nothing for me. I can only get to 60-65% of my max HR when I power walk on a 0% incline! Doc says not to add hills/incline so this just isn't enough for me. HIIT can be really hard on your joints (I know from experience!) so it doesn't seem like something I can do regularly without risking injury.

I prefer the kettlebell trend since it combines strength and cardio with a lot less impact on my joints.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 05:47 AM  
stacy4ft9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
I am not sure that Insanity exclusively caused the trend, since there was a spike in HIIT at that same time. I think Insanity influenced the craze we see now, but I think it was just publicizing and zeroing in on a fitness trend that was already starting to surface.

Personally, I don't like HIIT...
I agree!
stacy4ft9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 06:00 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I think the Beachbody people in particular are clever and do their research very carefully, and they know all about how and when to release products. The HIIT/super-high energy products had been building in intensity & popularity so Insanity came at the right time to crest the wave, that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop
How do you feel about these super-high impact workouts with lots of plyo and anaerobic intervals (short, intense bursts that bring you to fatigue)?
I'm NOT an intensity addict and avoid puke-in-a-bucket workouts like the plague, so can only take this kind of activity in short, carefully measured doses. KCM's workouts are about the most advanced I care to use at this time. I like feeling great and energized after my workouts, not weak and exhausted. I'm also not interested in building super-high cardio endurance; plain old progressive improvement - as well as avoiding injury - is good enough for me.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 06:52 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

The first interval workouts that featured a lot of impact/plyo for the sake of interval intensity were Imax and Intense Moves. 10 years ago at VF the discussion was albout which of the two was harder/better. I think Insanity hit the trend at an already high point and was key to sending it into the stratosphere, but I don't think Insanity caused the trend, it RODE the trend, and drove it to new heights.

I think the high impact/plyo/anaerobic burst workouts are great but I have to say, I think people are overdoing them, and we'll probably have a backlash just like the backlash against the high-impact aerobics of the 80s, with all sorts of injuries de-legitimizing the trend in the end. I don't think people can maintain doing those kinds of workouts 3-6 days a week without some consequences. I hope I am wrong, but we'll see what we're talking about here at VF in 10 more years....

I don't have TurboFire or Insanity, but I do like Cathe's STS Cardio HIIT workouts. HIIT (generally) is not my favorite form of cardio training, but I don't hate it like I did at one time; I've learned to appreciate the endorphin rush and the cardio improvements.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 06:54 AM  
beatchica

FitBoop I have thought about this as well, nice point. I too think the fitness market seems to follow whatever trend BB sets forward.

Lucky Star and Susan P, ITA!

Adrien_73, sorry about your knee, I have been where you are. What I did was watch my diet and sleep like a hawk. Sleep (as well as stress) have a huge impact on weight gain. If you can't workout, the next best thing I have found is eating clean and getting enough rest. Post injury, I have found that it is intensity, not high impact that keeps me in shape and feeling good.
I now am a big believer that you do not need impact, but simply intensity to stay fit.

I now perform low impact, light weight exercises with intensity (think anything KCM and watch the modifier). While your knee heals you might want to try working out on a heavy bag or what I do is very focused, with a lot of intent, shadow boxing.

When walking you can increase the intensity by getting you arms and hands involved, I will swing my arms, raise them over my head and pump them, this looks silly but it really helps gt the heart right up.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:05 AM  
saffron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchica View Post
FitBoob I have thought about this as well, nice point.
... wish I had some of those - my boobs are quite lazy
saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:25 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Ooh, another intensity hint for Adrien, add in cross-body jabs when you're walking on the dreadmill. You can really up the cardio intensity plus what an ab blaster it is!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:47 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchica
FitBoob I have thought about this as well, nice point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffron View Post
... wish I had some of those - my boobs are quite lazy
Yeah but I'd rather have FitBoobs - two would be nicer than just one.

Beatchica, I have really been appreciating your experience and wisdom and read/follow your posts quite avidly.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:47 AM  
adrien_73

beatchica & susan p,

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it. I have been adding light weights and some punches to my walks. When I am outdoors, I get some strange looks from those driving by!!!!

I have been doing this so much that I am starting to get shoulder strain. I have tried my spin bike but that seems to bother my knee too.

I have a history of overuse from back when I was a step instructor. I guess it is catching up to me earlier than I anticipated.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bodypart splits, cathe injury, fitness trends, high impact, hiit, insanity, p90x, split routines, splits