Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-23, 06:16 PM  
Footballnut

Attn all Jessica Smith aficionados

As of yesterday, I am officially “retired”. I am so very out of shape though. I’ve been through a few illnesses and surgery and have not trained in over 10 years. I decided that when I quit working, I would take better care of myself. I have 3 of jessica smith’s fitness programs. I want to start with the most beginner friendly set. I have no idea which one that would be. I have her walk the weight off 30 days plan, walk strong 6 week total transformation system, and complete 8 week home fitness program for women. I could use some opinions. Thanks!
Old 03-25-23, 06:22 PM  
sbh

I would do them in the order you have them listed.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 07:39 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Congratulations on your retirement! I think I would start with the thirty day walking program and then move on to her first Walk Strong set.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 10:25 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I would do them in the order you have them listed.
I agree. The 30 Day Walk On program would be the easiest. The Walk Strong Six Week System is also called Walk Strong 1, and is the beginner strength program. The 8 Week Program is Walk Strong 3, and is more advanced with heavier weights.

Walk Strong 2 is four separate DVD’s: Burn Fat, Have Fun; Boost Metabolism + Muscle; Build Balance + Inner Strength; and Gentle Yoga. Normally, you would do the Walk Strong 2 schedule before Walk Strong 3. However, I think you could go from Walk Strong 1 to Walk Strong 3. Just take it at your own pace, and modify if you need to.
Old 03-26-23, 07:55 AM  
cyana

Ginger - As someone who has been debating (agonizing would be a more accurate description, LOL) over picking a retirement date, I wanted to say congratulations! I think you've gotten some good feedback already, just wanted to add - don't forget that Jessica has an extensive collection of videos on her YT channel that you can sub in/supplement with and you can't beat the price. Jessica is such a low to no-dread instructor for me - I have no regrets having supported her by purchasing many of her DVD's and sets over the years.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-23, 09:39 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm recently retired as well! But then, in November I was diagnosed with breast cancer, so I've had surgery and now going through radiation treatment. I decided to focus on using Jessica's workouts because I could modify or shorten as needed. She sent an email, and also posted on her Facebook page, a progressive rotation plan. I'll copy and paste the email content here for you. (Note that of course I don't think the links will work if I cut & paste. If you do not have any of the rotations, you can email her & she'll send them to you.)
As others have said, the 30 Day Walk On program is the first one to do. I am really enjoying following this system! Let me know if you have any questions.

NOT SURE WHERE TO START?
WE'RE HERE TO HELP!
We have a lot of content available and know it may be hard to decide where or how to get started!

Step 1: Walk ON!
Our floor work* free walking-based series is excellent for building a solid fitness foundation and a regular exercise habit! You may want to start with our 30-day plan (click on the pdf here to view/print the back cover for the day-by-day recommendations). Then, you can progress into our "Walk On: Master Rotation," which combines all of our programs in this series into one suggested six-week calendar (click on the “Series” tab in the Filters menu on the left side of your library here to find all of the “Walk On” titles and search by program as listed on the calendar to find the workouts for each day).

*A few short segments (such as a bonus routine in "Walk On: 30 Day Plan" and the end of the "Lower Body" mile in "Walk On: 6 Mile Mix" do contain some floor work)

Once you complete the Walk On series or feel ready for a more comprehensive plan, our Walk Strong series is the next step:

Step 2: Walk STRONG!

Our more complete program features everything from strength training to brain fitness, prehab prevention, core, and more!

This four-phased series offers specifically sequenced calendars to make it easy to know exactly what to do each day:

Phase 1: Walk Strong 6-Week System

VIEW/PRINT your 6-Week CALENDAR and WELCOME GUIDE HERE

Phase 2: Walk Strong 2.0 Plan

VIEW and PRINT the 6-Week CALENDAR HERE (click on the “Series” tab in the Filters menu on the left side of your library here to find all of the “Walk Strong 2.0” titles and search by program as listed on the calendar to find the workouts for each day).

Phase 3: Walk Strong 3: The Complete 8-Week Home Fitness Program

VIEW/PRINT the 8-Week CALENDAR and BONUS GUIDE HERE

Phase 4: Walk Strong: 6-Week Master Rotation

VIEW and PRINT the 6-Week CALENDAR HERE (click on the “Series” tab in the Filters menu on the left side of your library here to find all of the “Walk Strong” and “Walk Strong 2.0” titles included and search by program as listed on the calendar to find the workouts for each day).

Step 3: Get STRONG + CENTERED!

Our most recently released program, the Strong and Centered series, focuses on building deep core and total body strength with a mix of full body sculpting, supporting core, strength, and mobility gliding work, and walking-based cardio and stretching recovery options to help balance out your training. You can download the free printable calendar for this program here (click on the “Series” tab in the Filters menu on the left side of your library here to find all of the “Strong + Centered” titles and search by program as listed on the calendar to find the workouts for each day)

This program is excellent preparation for our "Lift and Shift" strength training intensive (below) and can be combined with the "Lift and Shift" to help bridge the two series together if desired. (You can view and print the "Strong + Centered" and "Lift and Shift" combo calendar here).

Step 4: LIFT and SHIFT!

Our 12-week strength training intensive, this course is only offering during certain times of the year so that we can all work through the program together on a similar timeline with additional support and coaching offered through our check-in threads and email series (though once purchased, it's yours to keep forever and use as often as you wish!). Sign up for our waiting list here to get notified first when registration for our next round will be opening up again.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-23, 11:19 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

I agree with all the recommendations to start with the 30 Day Plan.

Anita and Ginger - Congrats on retirement. Mine is probably 5-8 years away. Timing depends on the economy, my daughter's school situation, etc. But I hope to be wrapping up within the decade.

Anita - sorry to hear about your diagnosis - I hope treatment is going well.

I would like to invite both of you (and anyone else who would like to join!) to our Jessica Smith & Friends check in.

We are a small and friendly group.

I also have been in need of some structure lately, so I'd be happy to be a workout buddy in a rotation.

I was going to be my check-in mate's workout buddy for WS 1.0, but fell off the wagon before I even started.

I have been giving some thought to starting with the 30 Day walking plan and adding on Pilates. I just re-joined Trifecta Pilates for a year, and I think her Pilates workouts would fit in nicely with the walking and strength plans Jessica has.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-23, 12:17 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I would also do them in the order that you listed above. The first set has a couple 15 & 20 minute workouts, but most are 30 minutes. All very good workouts. In general, the workouts are easier than WS 1.0, like the 15 minute Standing Abs compared to 360 Abs. The pace in Walk On: Walk the Weight Off is a little slower than WS 1.0, too.

The Walk Strong 1.0 set is also a good place to begin, because there is usually a lighter day workout mid-week (for the first couple of weeks) as well as your active recovery day. More stretching is incorporated into this set with the Prehab routine, as well as Dynamic Stretch. But, I would only start this rotation if you've been consistently exercising and can keep up a quicker pace...and duration. There are some fun workouts here (Barefoot Fusion Sculpt and Brain Fitness Fun) to break up the strength and cardio.

Don't feel bad about making these rotations your own. You can extend the 30 days or six weeks to add more of what you need to do, especially when you're coming back to exercise.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-23, 01:01 PM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi!

I agree with all the recommendations to start with the 30 Day Plan.

Anita and Ginger - Congrats on retirement. Mine is probably 5-8 years away. Timing depends on the economy, my daughter's school situation, etc. But I hope to be wrapping up within the decade.

Anita - sorry to hear about your diagnosis - I hope treatment is going well.

I would like to invite both of you (and anyone else who would like to join!) to our Jessica Smith & Friends check in.

We are a small and friendly group.

I also have been in need of some structure lately, so I'd be happy to be a workout buddy in a rotation.

I was going to be my check-in mate's workout buddy for WS 1.0, but fell off the wagon before I even started.

I have been giving some thought to starting with the 30 Day walking plan and adding on Pilates. I just re-joined Trifecta Pilates for a year, and I think her Pilates workouts would fit in nicely with the walking and strength plans Jessica has.

Donna
I like the idea of adding on to the rotation. I have a bunch of classical stretch I have ignored for years.

Tags
jessica smith