Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-23, 10:55 PM  
Leonana

I went gray about five years ago. At 63, my hair is half silver, half brown. I’m pretending it’s highlights lol. I did my own color, and my gray kept turning red, so I eventually gave up.

The Milani Antigravity Mascara gave me long, thick lashes. However, it transferred, unless I powdered my under eyes.

fat kat, I need to try castor oil on my eyebrows. Vaseline helps a little bit. I used to have thick eyebrows, but they are getting thinner by the day.

I used to like Hot and Flashy, but I no longer trust her knowledge on skin care. I follow cosmetic chemists on IG, and found out Angie has stated incorrect info in her videos.
Old 01-08-23, 11:07 AM  
cyana

Thanks for all of the mascara recommendations - I'll keep those in mind. I agree about Angie/Hot and Flashy - I can't imagine using that many skin products, nor can I imagine the chemical load being absorbed by the skin. When I wear make-up, it's typically a tinted moisturizer (Juice Beauty currently), tiny bit of natural looking blush, light dose of eye shadow, mascara and lip gloss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I've avoided coloring my hair all these years and am really happy with the result. Guess I'm low maintenance, LOL!!

I recently discovered Dazzle Dry nail polishes and I love it! It's a whole system of quick drying polish. I'd worn literally just clear polish the last few years, and felt inspired to see what's up in the world of nail polish. I'm also impressed with Starrily's polishes, and CND Vinylux (which seems to have reformulated for the better in recent years.).

The main thing that's helped my nails, though, has been weekly warm oil soaks with jojoba oil.
I wish someone had better explained the difference between semi-permanent and permanent hair color years back when I started getting my hair colored. It's a lot easier to let the semi-permanent color fade versus feeling compelled to keep up the permanent color due to the hard regrowth line. It was quite liberating to make the decision to go natural. I may check out some of those quick dry nail color options in the warm weather when it's time to get back to open toe shoes and bare feet. I'll have to try the jojoba oil soaks - that sounds like a lovely, relaxing winter self-care treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I've been using Sky High because I like the plastic brush wand versus a regular brush wand. All of a sudden it seems clumpier and seems to run out sooner. I've used that L'Oreal white mascara primer in the past and I like it, but it seems like an unnecessary step for a normal day of just running errands, etc.

One thing I will sing the praises of is having my eyebrows microbladed in November. My brows were practically non-existent, and trying to create some that had a decent shape seemed like an impossible and, again, unnecessary task for a regular day. The healing and not getting them wet for 10 days after both the first and second procedures, was a pain in the butt, but worth it in the
I've watched tons of make-up videos on YouTube (including Hot & Flashy), especially during the pandemic. I ended up with tons of lipsticks (although I rarely wear lipstick) and tried lots of other stuff. I'm still getting rid of a lot of it.
I'm glad it's not just me who feels there's been a change in the Sky High product. I used the L'Oreal lash primer years ago with good results - but I was working in an office and did the daily make-up rituals. I'm going to have to learn more about microblading. I haven't tweezed in ages, but a little shape would be nice. The younger gals I work with (disclaimer - I'm at a point where ALL of my co-workers are younger, LOL!) are into threading. I used to get the bonus make-up kits every spring and fall from Clinique, Estee Lauder, etc., and ended up with a million tubes of lipstick and eventually had to do a purge because I could live three lifetimes and not use it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
For those who are contemplating growing out grey hair, I’m into my 8th month of my grow out. Yes, I have a grombre. I’m so happy to no longer be tied to dye every four weeks. My hair has white/silver streaks around my face with a salt and pepper and darker as it moves to the back with two white streaks on either side of my head underneath. I can’t decide if I’m going to look like a supervillain or not.

I had thinning eyebrows and eyelashes as well, and I heard that castor oil at night helps. It may not work for everyone, but after 6 weeks of consistent use at night my eyelashes and eyebrows are back. I, too, have used the L’Oréal mascara, but now I only use mascara for special occasions. I’ve had major allergic reactions to Maybelline products in the past and agree the formula in the L’Oréal has changed for the worst. Will be watching this thread if someone has another product to try.

Question: what do you ladies use for greying eyebrows? Now that they’ve grown back in, I’m reluctant to pluck them, but the white ones do make the brows appear to be thinning. I’m at a loss because dyeing them will never match my grow out color of my hair.
I decided to embrace growing out my color with a sense of humor and adventure. I love the term grombre. I discovered the color looked different if I parted it on one size versus the other, and if I part my hair on the left, it almost looks like I have a thin darker headband. Unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to have the supervillain effect, as I've seen some people with great supervillain hair! On the graying brows, my mother used to use a Clinique product - Instant Lift for Brows. https://www.clinique.com/product/159...lift-for-brows She really liked it, but eventually started getting her brows colored by her hairdresser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I went gray about five years ago. At 63, my hair is half silver, half brown. I’m pretending it’s highlights lol. I did my own color, and my gray kept turning red, so I eventually gave up.

I used to like Hot and Flashy, but I no longer trust her knowledge on skin care. I follow cosmetic chemists on IG, and found out Angie has stated incorrect info in her videos.
I had a major self-coloring hair disaster when I was around 17 or 18 with a Clairol Hair Painting kit, so I was always too chicken to do self-coloring after that. I pretend my darker hairs are lowlights. I know you do a lot of research about chemicals in cosmetics from some posts you and I exchanged in a previous year and I hope to continue to see more recognition on the part of industry that there are plenty of consumers who want products that aren't full of potentially unhealthy chemicals.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 11:19 AM  
Carol K

When I first started turning white in my 30s, I went with semi-permanent color for quite a while, but eventually it stopped covering effectively.
Old 01-08-23, 12:17 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
Thanks for all of the mascara recommendations - I'll keep those in mind. I agree about Angie/Hot and Flashy - I can't imagine using that many skin products, nor can I imagine the chemical load being absorbed by the skin. When I wear make-up, it's typically a tinted moisturizer (Juice Beauty currently), tiny bit of natural looking blush, light dose of eye shadow, mascara and lip gloss.

I wish someone had better explained the difference between semi-permanent and permanent hair color years back when I started getting my hair colored. It's a lot easier to let the semi-permanent color fade versus feeling compelled to keep up the permanent color due to the hard regrowth line. It was quite liberating to make the decision to go natural. I may check out some of those quick dry nail color options in the warm weather when it's time to get back to open toe shoes and bare feet. I'll have to try the jojoba oil soaks - that sounds like a lovely, relaxing winter self-care treat.

I'm glad it's not just me who feels there's been a change in the Sky High product. I used the L'Oreal lash primer years ago with good results - but I was working in an office and did the daily make-up rituals. I'm going to have to learn more about microblading. I haven't tweezed in ages, but a little shape would be nice. The younger gals I work with (disclaimer - I'm at a point where ALL of my co-workers are younger, LOL!) are into threading. I used to get the bonus make-up kits every spring and fall from Clinique, Estee Lauder, etc., and ended up with a million tubes of lipstick and eventually had to do a purge because I could live three lifetimes and not use it all!

I decided to embrace growing out my color with a sense of humor and adventure. I love the term grombre. I discovered the color looked different if I parted it on one size versus the other, and if I part my hair on the left, it almost looks like I have a thin darker headband. Unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to have the supervillain effect, as I've seen some people with great supervillain hair! On the graying brows, my mother used to use a Clinique product - Instant Lift for Brows. https://www.clinique.com/product/159...lift-for-brows She really liked it, but eventually started getting her brows colored by her hairdresser.

I had a major self-coloring hair disaster when I was around 17 or 18 with a Clairol Hair Painting kit, so I was always too chicken to do self-coloring after that. I pretend my darker hairs are lowlights. I know you do a lot of research about chemicals in cosmetics from some posts you and I exchanged in a previous year and I hope to continue to see more recognition on the part of industry that there are plenty of consumers who want products that aren't full of potentially unhealthy chemicals.
I was using semi permanent, and it was much easier to grow out. I might have been able to learn how to color my hair correctly, but I was too lazy, lol.

I think I’m remembering our skin care conversations! But I think we agreed to disagree. I think most conventional products are very safe, especially from large companies with good safety regulations. It’s the small companies I distrust, especially their preservatives. And I can’t use most clean beauty, I’m allergic to essential oils and plant extracts. Cetaphil works for me. But I think as long as we all have choices of products we prefer, it’s good. I hope you are able to find the products that meet your needs.
Old 01-08-23, 01:03 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post

I think I’m remembering our skin care conversations! But I think we agreed to disagree. I think most conventional products are very safe, especially from large companies with good safety regulations. It’s the small companies I distrust, especially their preservatives. And I can’t use most clean beauty, I’m allergic to essential oils and plant extracts. Cetaphil works for me. But I think as long as we all have choices of products we prefer, it’s good. I hope you are able to find the products that meet your needs.
Yes - we agreed to respectfully disagree, primarily as relates to different information contained in the respective resources we were using to research the various beauty products. I'm always up for respectful discussions in areas where we may disagree, as we can always learn from those. I'm very sensitive to fragrance, although I can frequently tolerate the essential oils - in my perfect world, everything would be free of fragrances.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 01:27 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post

One thing I will sing the praises of is having my eyebrows microbladed in November. My brows were practically non-existent, and trying to create some that had a decent shape seemed like an impossible and, again, unnecessary task for a regular day. The healing and not getting them wet for 10 days after both the first and second procedures, was a pain in the butt, but worth it in the
Along the same lines, applying eyeliner and getting both eyes to look the same has always been a problem for me so several months ago I had it tattooed on. It's supposed to last for 5 years. I typically wear contacts so the major pain part was having to wear my glasses for 10 days.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 03:16 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm too skittish to have eyeliner tattooed on. My eyes are horribly dry and I don't let anyone go near them with anything.

I personally think my hair would be pretty if I grew the color out. It's foiled and it looks fine growing out because the gray blends right into the foiled blonde. (It's a lot lighter than my avatar.) My hairdresser convinced me it wouldn't look good because my gray is a dull, frankly ugly, color.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 03:17 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Leonana, its nice to see another Cetaphil user. I've been using Cetaphil since 1984 and sunscreen since 1983. My derm doc always recommends Cetaphil. I run away from clean ingredients marketing. I have more faith in tried and true ingredients that have been used safely for many years, especially preservatives.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 06:14 PM  
kat999

I just started using Cetaphil body wash when I had a terrible allergic reaction to one that was made with essential oils and was supposedly all natural. It cleared all the reaction right up. I also used some Aveno eczema cream on the affected areas, and now I'm definitely keeping both of these products in arsenal, as the skin on my body (but not my face, weirdly enough) started getting extremely sensitive within the last year or so.
Old 01-08-23, 11:33 PM  
Leonana

Cyana, I can relate about fragrance. It also gives me a sinus headache. But I like light scents, and wish I could tolerate them. I also have hay fever. Flowering plants just don’t like me lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
Leonana, its nice to see another Cetaphil user. I've been using Cetaphil since 1984 and sunscreen since 1983. My derm doc always recommends Cetaphil. I run away from clean ingredients marketing. I have more faith in tried and true ingredients that have been used safely for many years, especially preservatives.
I absolutely love the Cetaphil Redness Relieving Night Moisturizer. It’s a great face moisturizer. I use a Eucerin sunscreen. I agree about preservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I just started using Cetaphil body wash when I had a terrible allergic reaction to one that was made with essential oils and was supposedly all natural. It cleared all the reaction right up. I also used some Aveno eczema cream on the affected areas, and now I'm definitely keeping both of these products in arsenal, as the skin on my body (but not my face, weirdly enough) started getting extremely sensitive within the last year or so.
My skin became more sensitive as I aged, and my fragrance allergy became worse. I wonder if it has to do with the immune system aging. I also like the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing facial cleanser and their body lotion.

Tags
2023, 2023 beauty, beauty, beauty products, beauty thread, beauty thread 2023, beauty tips, hair products, off topic, off-topic