Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-23, 08:09 PM  
moonbeam31

Question

Has anyone here done Barre Above or American Barre Technique instructor training?
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 04:11 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Garrie is a Barre Above instructor - perhaps he will reply.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 08:21 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I was looking at both. Barre Above has virtual and in person trainings and has the sister company Balletone. They are really active and put out a ton of instructor support and workshops.

American Barre Technique is a work at your own pace certification. They also offer workshops and support although I am not sure if it is on your own or webinar based.

I have friends who have both certifications. My feeling is ABT is more traditional barre. I hear more from the woman who has Barre Above and she raves about the founder and how positive she is and all the instructor support with newsletters, choreography tips, and all the freedom you have to create your own program.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 08:41 AM  
moonbeam31

Thank you so much Jackie! That is kind of what I gathered from looking at both of those. The founder of Barre Above is Leslie Bender? Is that right? Tricia Murphy Madden too? I also love Balletone. They have a lot of other certs you can get like Pilates focused, etc.
Old 04-02-23, 08:58 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam31 View Post
Thank you so much Jackie! That is kind of what I gathered from looking at both of those. The founder of Barre Above is Leslie Bender? Is that right? Tricia Murphy Madden too? I also love Balletone. They have a lot of other certs you can get like Pilates focused, etc.
I have friends who have done Balletone and one who has Barre Above and just added the Balletone. They love Leslie Bender. I have taken a couple instructor workshops from her including modifcations and she is excellent.

I do think that the Balletone/Barre Above company is top notch with a lot of support.

I love that there are virtual options for instructor training, but I'd go in person if you can swing it. You learn so much, if not more, from other instructors.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 09:57 AM  
moonbeam31

Thanks so much for this info! I really appreciate it a lot!!
Old 04-02-23, 08:29 PM  
muddjeansgal

hey message me on IG
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-23, 10:17 AM  
Garrie A.

As bzar mentioned (as well as in my signature), I am a licensed Barre Above instructor. I did the training in February 2020 (pre-Covid) with two other instructors who also teach barre at the rec center. It is an all day training, and covers a lot of ground. To me, Barre Above is a fusion of Lotte Berk-based barre (but working in neutral spine/no tuck, varying range of motion and including movements in all three planes of motion), Pilates, yoga, and traditional strength training.

After taking the training, you are licensed for life and don't have to pay anything to keep your license. You can subscribe to additional choreography for a monthly or yearly fee (first month free then $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year), but it's not required. (Unlike Zumba which forces you to pay over $40 a month to keep your license or fork out over $200 a year to take your Basic 1 training again.)
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-23, 11:18 AM  
lotusgirl

So glad to see this question and Garrie's response. Barre Above came on my radar this year, and it's very appealing to me.
Old 04-17-23, 08:18 PM  
moonbeam31

Thanks for all that great info Garrie!! That really helps!

Tags
american barre technique, barre above, barre teacher training, teacher training