Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-23, 11:17 AM  
JENILU

Red face Hope I'm not wording crudely, but about certain Asian (?)Youtube Workouts

I didn't want to be offensive, so if anyone can tell me the right way to say this, please forgive me and help on that.
There are certain "Asian" workouts all over youtube, that seem to be a lot of standing still, but sort of isolations, swinging back and forth etc, one is even titles zumba workouts (not zumba tho). Do y'all know what I am talking about? They have a bajillian followers. Anyway, are there real results in working out like this? I wish I knew how to word my title. Gaah!! I have been so curious, even tho its just not what I do. But its almost standing cardio the way lifting kettlebells is cardio, but with no equipment. (I don't know if there is jumping, I haven't searched that in depth, but they come up in nearly every type of fitness search I do. I think in the beginning, it was copies of some old workouts (maybe from DVDs) and now I am seeing them as looking like they are in a gym (with old fashioned promises in the titles, but newer workouts).
My curiosity put me at risk of being rude. I just couldn't stand it anymore after the 50 million'eth one came up.
Do y'all know what I am talking about? What do you think of them? Has anyone actually done them and felt good? I am on the search for the perfect workouts that can give me some of my tone back (I knwo, I really want to be lifting weights and still do atleast 5 minutes several days a week, but have been warned against it), while not stressing the body. Thoughts?

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 01:59 PM  
Karla25

I don’t think you’ve said anything rude or offensive :-) Why don’t you share a link or two so we can see the workouts? They sound interesting.
Old 03-31-23, 02:16 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I don’t think you’ve said anything rude or offensive :-) Why don’t you share a link or two so we can see the workouts? They sound interesting.
Thankyou! Here ya go, (I actually think these are same instructor. I can't find the really old ones now that looked like they were from DVDs maybe)

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoVP...4ja5SV&index=8

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN2e...ndex=4&t=1631s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jcnCWaIYSY

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi_GjI6_yJ8

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Ce-okhwvo

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGP5JK707aM

Thats just some, but I think all different channels (but I think 1 person owns atleast 3 of those channels)

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 03-31-23, 02:17 PM  
T2B

I think I did a YT workout like that over a year ago, this is what I said about it. I did it Jan 9, 2022:

YT Aerobic Dance. Aerobic Dance was kind of weird, stood in the same spot the whole time, burned out my arms/shoulders/abs, and didn’t really sweat at all but got my heart rate up. Got lots of steps though, which is why I tried it after looking at a short clip. I wondered if I could get a lot of steps while barely moving my legs, . Yes. Interesting. Is this new (to me) aerobics a result of minimizing covid risks? I didn’t dislike it but not sure that I liked it either. https://youtu.be/zTJ7ZP5QsYA

If this is what you're referring to, I say try one...

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 02:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 03:00 PM  
JENILU

All of you, thankyou!! I have never tried them. It was totally curiosity, because I've seen them for years (have never done them), because in my head, they just couldn't do much. It kinda reminds me of the ab moves in the learning DVD of turbo jam, lol. I am thinking of trying them. They've (this style I guess? ) just seem to have been a real thing for a while, but I never really hear it talked about. When I looked them up randomly today, it looks like there is a craze for them, atleast in certain countries. i currently have and use some of VanesaB's programs because she is trying to help me focus on adrenal health (altho I am realizing, those are more for adrenal fatigue that can be turned around, where mine can't- its autoimmune, so I am figuring how to manage my energy and do ones I like mixed in with very gentle (well, really all that I do is very gentle- so more gentle and less gentle, lol), so I won't over fatigue. I want to find ways to hold onto and build muscle tho. Vanessab allows bands, but not much else, and i get a little tired of bands. i can do it, but never learning how to not get tangled is annoying, lol. I LOVE weights and kettlebells. I do ellen and Jessica when I can, among others. I guess I wondered if that "very little movement while getting something done" was affective.

T2B - your review seems to suggest they are effective in atleast some ways.

Thank y'all!!

Old 03-31-23, 03:37 PM  
kat999

Really interesting. I wonder if the choreography is kind of designed like club dancing or even TikTok dancing, where the emphasis is on gesture rather than complicated footwork. Footwork is also something more difficult to describe only visually without verbal or written cues, and this way they can reach audiences all around the world with no language barrier. They also look like they could be done in a small space and you wouldn't ever need to look away from the screen because you're always facing forward. They're also incredibly low impact or even totally NO impact yet you're getting your heart rate up due to the arm work. I actually think these look pretty fun!
Old 03-31-23, 04:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
I just couldn't stand it anymore after the 50 million'eth one came up.
I think you can adjust your settings somehow to prevent unwanted videos from showing up.

Tangent: i was trying to figure out how to stop horror video clips from "popping up" as soon as I click on youtube. I googled my question and a few suggestions showed up. since they're from a few specific youtube channels, you might be able to block them.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 06:18 PM  
alisoncooks

I knew exactly what you were talking about. Idk what the influence or origination is for these workouts, but it’s definitely a popular style. And they’ve been around for as long as I’ve been looking up exercise videos on YouTube, so definitely not a new trend.

I have tried a few but honestly, they can move pretty quick and are pretty repetitive.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 06:24 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I think you can adjust your settings somehow to prevent unwanted videos from showing up.

Tangent: i was trying to figure out how to stop horror video clips from "popping up" as soon as I click on youtube. I googled my question and a few suggestions showed up. since they're from a few specific youtube channels, you might be able to block them.
When videos I don’t want recommended turn up on my home page, I click on the three little dots next to the title and click on either “don’t recommend this channel” or “not interested”.

It seems to work.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
figurerobics, jung dayeon, youtube, youtube channels