Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Notices

Old 04-18-24, 06:29 PM  
ChelePA

My husband and I used to play tennis together but due to injuries we can no longer play. Thinking about Pickleball but it's crazy busy here. No openings ever to try a beginner class and learn the rules. Maybe with the nice weather, some people will move outside, and we will get an opportunity to give it a go. I think Cathe's gym made a great investment by adding courts.
Old 04-18-24, 06:56 PM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
So, I am going to get a couple of rackets. The people in my neighborhood are nothing like the hardcore groupies- those people go rent courts and are part of clubs. The folks who people play in my neighborhood also bought racquets and balls off Amazon. No special shoes or clothing. I have cross trainers that I use for these types of activities. I see it as something that will be fun and involve some physical activity but it won't be my main workout.

I was wondering more about whether the rules are simple and how long a game lasts.
Doubles games are played to 11 points usually, but there is additional play if the winners do not exceed the losers by two points. I would say a game probably takes about 15-30 minutes, depending on the skills of the players. You can check out some YouTube videos about how to play. It is fairly easy to learn. the serve is underhand. After you serve, the ball must bounce once before the other team can return the serve. After they return the serve, the ball must bounce once before you can hit it back on your side. (This keeps the play going better than in tennis.) After that, the ball can either bounce before you hit it, or it can be hit out of the air (volley). The scoring can be a bit challenging because before you serve, you say your team's score, then the other team's score, then whether you are the first or second player to serve. So before you serve, you might say 2𣛧. It becomes second nature after you do it for a while. Good luck, I hope you enjoy it :-)
Old 04-19-24, 11:38 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I took a beginner's class last summer and thought it was boring, to be honest. If you're playing doubles, you don't really get much exercise since the court is so small. Even in the beginner's class, people took it way too seriously. I went to an open play session at a local club a couple of months ago and it was super competitive people. I'm just looking to play casually and meet a few people, but so far it's been a disappointment. I'm giving it one last chance and am taking a more advanced class next month and will see how it goes.

As far as equipment, the beginner's class instructor recommended a racquet that I bought on Amazon and I bought a pair of adidas tennis shoes. That's it.
Old 04-20-24, 10:43 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

this thread has been enlightening.

i remember asking a tennis player a few years ago about the pickleball craze. they were unhappy about it - as it is, tennis players constantly scrambled for court time before pickleball was ever a notion.

i'm predicting it will pass and we'll see all kinds of pickleball equipment on sale in facebook marketplace.

back in the 80s, racquetball was extremely popular. two of my brothers were really good at it too. my roommate and i tried it and we had fun learning but didn't do it long enough to get better at it. another roommate of mine played a lot over at the military base.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 04-20-24, 07:29 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i'm predicting it will pass and we'll see all kinds of pickleball equipment on sale in facebook marketplace.

back in the 80s, racquetball was extremely popular. two of my brothers were really good at it too. my roommate and i tried it and we had fun learning but didn't do it long enough to get better at it. another roommate of mine played a lot over at the military base.
I agree that pickleball is just a fad and it will pass. I mean, it's good that people are getting out and doing something healthy, but like a lot of other fads, it will reach a saturation point and then people will get tired of it.
Old 04-20-24, 07:47 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I would love to try it sometime, but my only "experience" is a friend telling me about an evening her family played it for 90 minutes. She had set her Apple Watch to a workout of pickle ball, and at the end of the session she looked and had burned 72 calories, I think she said. She just laughed. I know calorie burn is not the be-all end-all, at all!, but, it seemed pretty funny.

I'm sorry for all of the tennis players who've been displaced!
Old 04-21-24, 07:10 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I've been a tennis player all my life, but I would like to learn how to play pickleball. People seem to be obsessed about it, so I want to know what all the fuss is about!
Old 04-22-24, 05:55 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

I think the social aspect of it is great. If it gets people up and out of their houses and they are inclined to get some movement in then I'm all for it!

2 of my 4 adult children play (late 20's to early 30's) and Pickleball is a fun social outlet.

I don't think it's a fad because it's easier to pick up than tennis or some of the other racquet sports, which probably explains some of its appeal.
Old 04-22-24, 06:15 AM  
sherry7899

It seems to be really popular where I live. I have never tried it. I found out last summer that the state tournament for it (who knew?!) was at the park in my town! Also, when my son was switching through channels near ESPN, they were showing pickleball games on tv. That really surprised me.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 04-22-24, 02:11 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I appreciate this thread, as DH and I considered learning how to play. I can see it抯 benefit for those who would not be active otherwise, but I wouldn抰 be a fan of any overly competitive attitudes and it doesn抰 really look like it would be enough movement for me. I don抰 see it as a substitute for other more active racquet sports and the injury aspect is concerning.

I don抰 necessarily think it抯 a fad either since it抯 one of those things that more people can participate in, but who knows? DH says the gym is packed when they have scheduled times for it.

And next we will have the curling craze!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience

Tags
pickleball