Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-23-22, 12:23 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Catching up from the end of my workout week,

Saturday: Simone Rebounding DVD warm up (warm up through first dance sequence ~15 minutes) then this Vera LaRo total body workout (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUFw...IT5yzc&index=5) then stretch for a 65 minute workout. This Vera LaRo was a good workout! She is currently in the middle of a "Strong Summer" and they all look great, I'll add this rotation to my list with Caroline's EPIC Heat or Iron for a someday rotation that I'll follow

Yesterday: A standing cardio abs workout with light dumbbells with Grow with Jo (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-v8...MXm_p&index=87) then Pure Barre Sculpted Abs #2 warm up through the tough ab sequence with your back against the wall and straight legs. With the standing cardio first, I REALLY felt pretty much every single exercise (except maybe thighs) through my abs, in fact the seat work was just as tough for abs as it was for the seat. It was a winning combination! Total workout time 53 minutes.

Today/tomorrow: Planned rest days

Eventmom and Buzzer Thank you the decluttering at my dad's was somewhat active, some bringing boxes up and down stairs, but not too bad. My knees were awesome this weekend!! I used to have go down stairs backwards to alleviate my knees and I was marching up and down the stairs regularly, with heavy boxes, both Saturday and Sunday afternoons and I was great, still feel great! So there's something to be said for giving up running for sure (my main knee irritant).

For TA all mat work (or any table work) I always use the Firm Zip Trainer under my knees. It can be slightly cumbersome if you're moving your legs back and forth towards your hands because it's bulky, but the cushioning is so worth it. Alternately a dense pillow, but definitely something under the knees!

Buzzer I'm thinking I was feeling rundown from the change in season, it tends to hit me pretty hard. I always know there's a change ins season because I get really rashy/itchy skin. Then I think about and I'm like "yep! It's Spring to Summer" or Summer to Fall or anything. I am definitely feeling better than I was last Thursday/Friday.

Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll bring fish in (I need to go through the salmon anyway) it's more fatty and satisfying than chicken breast and I'll also bring more fruit or something to supplement, instead of just trying to do the protein and that's it. Obviously after two weeks that wasn't working, the purge/binge cycle when I could have just eaten more on Tuesdays, then not rebounded. That's my plan for this week anyway!

I also tend to do better with easier workouts, I try to remind myself it's not just okay it's HELPFUL to have more active rest days and not go all out every day. In my current rotation I'm working out harder 3x a week and easier 2x a week, and with 2 days off I feel more balanced. I'll be keeping a close eye on Caroline's new "Fuel" series she just announced to start next week, she seems to be doing slightly easier/shorter workouts (for her) and they still look fantastic.

Ugh I'm sorry to hear it's the same shoulder and elbow that are hurting! It might be related if you're favoring your arm and moving it a certain way?

The Firms are in general easier than Cathes but you chose some toughies, Volume 3 and one of my *ultimate* favorites, Tough Tape 2!!

It's hard for me to picture snow because it has been steady 90s here!
Old 05-24-22, 09:32 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe ICE low impact cardio... DONE!

I loved this! It was truly low impact. Lots of leg work, but that's Cathe so
I went at my pace, didn't feel like I was working hard, however my HR monitor said I was up to about what I was with some of the Xtrain cardio! However much easier on my body. I really did love it!

My glutes are sore, and tomorrow is leg day. I hope they feel well enough tomorrow to do leg day! other wise I will pull out a cardio and do that and put off leg day a day.

I have to admit that my clothes are fitting better with that week off. I think my muscles were all swelled up and inflamed, and that just made me completely overwhelmingly exhausted. The time off has made a difference in my size! who knew? Well, me apparently because I remember when I was younger and lifting I would take time off for vacations or just busy-ness and lose 5 pounds.

Ebianco: I agree time off is good, however I think I get so focused on doing the rotation and doing it as written I forget I can take my time, take time off, take it lower, or even change the moves to fit where I am. I really want to push myself, and it feels so good in the moment to do it! It's an adrenaline rush like I won a race. I love it. However I am not being kind to myself and need to figure out how to balance that all out.

I am sad for you that running destroys your knees so much, however I guess it's good. I can't run anymore either, and I used to do 3 miles 3-4 times a week! I miss it for sure, I loved the feeling of running and the fresh air. However I get a good workout with videos so I am glad I am not someone who just has running and then doesn't know what to do when the running is taken away. Videos sure fill that void! Good job on the decluttering though. It always feels good to do that, even if it's for someone else.

Our snow is mostly gone, because last night it rained. It is so cold out! HA! It's probably in the 20's and 30's. We don't even have much over about 68 in the forecast for the next 10 days. Which, I am totally fine with. However, I do wish we had a spring!

I have a planter thing outside that was empty before the snow hit. This morning, we noticed that there is about 5-6" of water in it. That's how much moisture we have gotten in the last 4-5 days! Today is snow and rain again, so even more in there!

Eventmom: I'm glad the knee pad suggestion set you on a path! Hopefully you find something that works for you. I hadn't thought of the firm ball thingie for my knees... I should try that in planks (Ebianco's suggestion). I have given up on planks in any form, because I feel it more in my shoulders which seem to be failing, and my wrists. Well, never mind. That probably won't help my arms!! HA!

I am still watching that show. They make things look so easy! Makes me realize we probably should put some paint on the walls instead of just covering up the flaws of old paint (probably put on the walls when this place was updated in 1980). I got the new fixture for over the sink and will probably tackle that today after watching YouTube videos this morning on how to do it!! Main takeaway, turn OFF the power. will do.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-22, 01:09 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Yesterday – yoga in the garden of serenity
Today- MR beauty to the bone part 1 + 15 min gina b beginner walk

Buzzer – OMG, you found that show! It’s sort of addictive for me. I’m always amazed at what they get done. Glad you found some ideas. Our house would be vastly improved if we could get rid of stuff! I’ve been decluttering clothes – sent off 32 times, probably have another 32 to go. Being a professor in a business college I ended up with so many clothes. Volume 3 is my first firm but I don’t think it’s easy!

Ebianco – I doubled my pilates mat and that helped but I’m going to spend a week not doing TA and I think it’s helping. I hope the decluttering helped your father’s living situation.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 02:42 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

I started my workout week today with EPIC 3 lower body (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ret7...4uVpN&index=11). I was a little disappointed not with the workout but because my knees were all creaky and clicky which must be related to all the stairs last weekend, even though my knees weren't achy at the time or after! And I had go a little lighter on the weights than I usually would. It was a hectic day, I was tired from being in the office yesterday (three weeks in and still trying to get used to it), and it didn't help that this workout was Bulgarian lunge overload I guess on the plus side a lot of the work was bodyweight although my legs were shaking and so fatigued. Tomorrow I have an EPIC 3 upper body lined up.

Eventmom Yes I think the decluttering did really help my dad's living situation. We were just able to get rid of a lot of things, and the rest is organized and more reasonable.

Buzzer I'm glad the Cathe ICE low impact cardio was good! I want to say I have this one, I think. Her low impact is really good but yeah she really burns out the legs in order to get that cardio factor.

Good luck with your renovations! That has to feel great to make the space more your own!

I'm glad your clothes are fitting better! I also find that my weight (or at least inches) go down when I take an exercise break, even though it feels counterintuitive. I definitely get some exercise bloat from the weight lifting ugh.

You're right about running...at least I have other things I enjoy for cardio, like Firm cardio workouts and some others!
Old 05-25-22, 03:00 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

MR beauty to the bone part b + karen voight low impact cardio

ebianco - sorry about the knee thing! Glad you and your sisters could help out your dad and make things easier for him. I was talking to a friend last week about how she and her husband moved to a much smaller house, partly to get rid of things and not end up with stuff burdening their children. I'm afraid my DD will be burdened with multiple horses but I guess at least I could get rid of other stuff LOL

hi buzzer!
Old 05-26-22, 06:13 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Shock Cardio step.... DONE!

I did this instead of the leg workout. My hips and glutes were still feeling the work from Firm and Cathe's cardio! I pulled out my low step, and did all I could the best I could on the step. Of course, some moves I made up... like jumping jacks instead of this thing she did on the floor that was kinda like jacks but more like a square dance. I also don't like spinning around, so I did something instead. Mostly I did the workout, however my modifications made it so I stood around less and worked out more.

Cathe step workouts are just so confusing! They fly around because they know what the are doing, however I am usually 2 steps behind and tripping up and down the step. I'm surprised more people don't get hurt doing step workouts.

Yesterday we also went to Elitch Gardens, the amusement park here. I got 18,184 steps yesterday! Between my step workout and walking around the park, I think I got a lot of exercise! It was good though.

I got this bracelet that's like a tens machine, and it gives me a little "zap" or vibration feeling. I told LB it's like my bones are shaking, but only I can feel it. anyhow, I got that to help with nausea of riding rides. I was nervous, and the first ride LB wanted to go on was the swings. Those ones where you get in and they spin you around in a giant circle. I was so nervous! I watched the chair in front of me to steady myself. Part way through, I tried to look around. Then, I got up the nerve to look at LB in the swing next to me. I didn't get dizzy! It was amazing! We rode the swings about 4 times, and each time I got my nerve up more to do it. I enjoyed the swings again!! I loved that ride when I was younger, and I enjoyed it again now! I NEVER thought I would again! It was amazing.

I went on the swings, a dragon ride that spun around, and even the scrambler!!! I was FINE!! I was so excited. We even did the scrambler after lunch and I kept lunch down! I can't even tell you what a life changer this is for me. I can actually enjoy the park with LB this summer!

So we walked a lot yesterday. When we got home, we worked on her room. She has decided to get rid of stuffed animals she doesn't really care about or even know she has (she inherited a lot from me and DH) and I took them out. I was trying not to make her think about it, because she was proud of herself. I didn't want her to regret it. Then DH says "did you check to see if any of them are worth money?" and I glared at him. Way to make her think twice about it! I will check, but I seriously doubt they are worth anything. I'll check just to say I did. We spent last night about an hour taking apart lego sets and putting them in their boxes. Today we will continue that (they are so hard to take apart!) and get the corner of her room that they are kept in more organized.

Today I also plan to hang the light in the kitchen, above the sink. We got a paddle board, and LB wants to go out on it today, however the water will be like 40 or 50 degrees since we had snow, and yesterday night we had a freeze still. She is excited, however if she falls off it could be bad. So I'm thinking probably not. She will be disappointed! However maybe today is best spent at home after she helps her swim instructor. We can hang lights, clean rooms, and try to get organized.

Ebianco: That stinks that your knees are bugging you. Knees are such a problem! I swear, especially for women. Hopefully it's manageable. I guess that's just telling you that you'll have to move into a different house when you are older, one that doesn't have stairs, because your knees will be sore as an older woman! Or get one of those sit down things that you can go sliding up the wall on instead. Maybe get it now, just because they look fun!

Eventmom: I have watched probably 7 or 8 episodes of that show! It's fun! I keep thinking "how did she imagine that from that ugly room????" She has a knack for getting it done. And so cheap! I have no idea how she does that. Quite an inspiration though, seems like mostly it's paint on things... walls and furniture. It is addicting!!

I think, even at LB's young age, about how I don't want to burden her with "stuff". Like our shed or garage... someone, some day will have to go through all that. I would rather it be us than her after we are gone. I think that's part of why I am taking the house "back" (even though I never had it in the first place)... I want to enjoy my time here, not live in their 1990's decisions. Plus, it's making us go through and get rid of things. I do need to tackle the shed. It's insane.
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-26-22, 08:45 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I did EPIC 3 upper body today (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMRp...4uVpN&index=12) and it was such a tough one. I don't know if it was the nonstop complexes, or that I've recently inched up my weights for chest from 20 to 22.5, or that she did a shoulder complex first before diving into chest and back, or that there were a lot of pushups, but I was dying today, in a good way!! My legs are already sore from yesterday and my arms are already sore from this morning So I'll really have to take it easy tomorrow! My only complaint about this one is that Caroline does wayyyy too many shoulders (I mean about 1/3 of the workout is shoulders), so I took two complexes and did my own abs, and one complex and did my own triceps since she kind of skimped on them. But making it my own it was just great.

Tomorrow will be something lighter and stretchier, for sure! Then I have a Caroline total body lined up for Saturday, and I think I'll do Pure Barre Sculpted Abs #1 on Sunday.

Eventmom I haven't done Karen Voight in a long time but I was thinking about her the other day! My favorite workout of hers is Great Weighted Workout, and I was wondering with all the strength training I've done if her arm work would be easier now, or just as hard because it's light weight endurance which is not what I've been focusing on.

Buzzer Haha I always modify instead of spinning around in workouts. I get so dizzy! I can't do even the 'easiest' of Cathe step workouts, they are just too complex for me! After a lot of trial and error, the only step workout I really enjoy is with the Firm. On a rare occasion I'll pull out Karen Voight Energy Sprint but certainly not for the whole workout, but it is easy enough to follow at least and I like the retro music/feel.

I used to LOVE the swings!! That is one of the only rides I can do anymore (not that I've been to an amusement park in a while) that I can do without motion sickness, the swings are much more doable than say a roller coaster. I don't think I could handle the scrambler though anymore! (But I used to love it) I'm glad your little bracelet worked!

It's good you're trying to instill in LB early in life that it is okay (and actually great) to pare down on things! I don't know why old stuffies would be valuable, unless they're some unusual rare item Ugh but hopefully it didn't give LB pause!
Old 05-26-22, 11:36 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

cardio barre advanced - fortunately it wasn't too much harder than intermediate!

buzzer - I'm finding it takes so long to go through areas in the house and get rid of stuff. I'm focusing on clothes right now because I'll need to mostly empty my bedroom closet when we replace the carpet with tile. I always underestimate how long it will take to sort through stuff and decide what to do with things. Then I look around our house and yikes. But my closets are improving. I wonder if you are watching different years of the show - the designer I'm watching is a guy but he works with a woman. But it's the same vibe the place always looks massively better for like $500!

ebianco - I didn't keep GWW in my post TA massive purge of dvds. But I kept all her cardio and sleek essentials (the 3 dvd set). I love her low impact cardio.
Old 05-27-22, 09:08 AM  
Buzzer

ICE legs.. DONE!
ICE upper body.. DONE!

I am not sure about either of these! Cathe is apparently either all out, drenched, tired, and just done... or "OK girl. you lifted. You are good you pretty thing you!!!" I used cathes weights and I barely felt it. Usually I have to go down, or I can barely get through her weights! I wish I would have gone up in weight. I kept waiting for it to get tougher, and it never did. Next time I am making a note to go up in weights on both of these workouts!

I hate working legs, so the leg workout was a little better. HA! Just because I didn't have to workout that hard. Tomorrow is Strong and Sweaty cardio, so I know I will get a much harder workout tomorrow. I am thinking I might take these ice workouts with me on vacation because they are workouts, but not killer. That way if we do any hiking or digging, I"m not already worn out.

I got two trees for my birthday (a month early)... an apple tree that produces 3 different types of apples! and a "fruit cocktail" tree that has peaches, plums, apricots, and I think pears. I am so excited! I am going to put both in my island project, so now I have to dig two super deep and big holes to plant them. Today is supposed to be warm (almost 80 degrees) but then it gets cooler for the weekend, so I will dig dig dig this weekend!! I am so excited for the trees!! I didn't plan on trees in the project, but now I am really excited for them. They are protected from the deer, elk and bear by the high fence. So I am not worried about attracting the animals to our yard. LB has some blueberries, so we will probably incorporate them into the island too. I keep reading "have a plan. draw it out." but then we have fun surprises like this and it blows those plans out of the water. I'm much better winging it!

This weekend is kinda boring, because all of LB's friends are out of town. We have one friend in town, however they usually do family things on the weekends so I'm not sure we can see her. I will love it, because I will be getting a lot done! I am so excited. LB, not so much.

Eventmom: I laughed when you told me I was watching the wrong show! HAHA! I just googled the name you told me and this was the top hit. I guess now that I look at it, it's called "The Unsellables". I will have to look up the other one! I am still impressed with what they do to sell the houses. The transformations are amazing for under $5k. usually slip covers over dark furniture, paint, and rearranging is all it takes. So impressive!

Hi Ebianco! Have a great weekend (to both of you!!!)
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-27-22, 11:09 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

essentrics class of 2012
I''m going to take a jump lesson later today so didn't want to totally wear myself out. Also, that cardiobarre advanced left me more sore that I expected.

buzzer - those trees sound awesome to get all those types of fruit from two trees! I don't think any of those will grow in oklahoma. that's funny about the show but glad you got great ideas anyway.

hi ebianco!