Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-06, 08:08 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Rebounder vs BOSU

I never jumped on either of these. And now I'm wondering what I'm missing. Here's the thing tho: I don't like step workouts. Would there be another reason to buy one of these other than to lower impact of step/cardio?

For cardio, I pretty much ride a stationary bike or some boxing/minor kickboxing. I'm getting bored, thus the question.

I'd also like to hear the pros and cons of each, especially if you have both. It seems that the rebounder would have more uses, but I'm liking the idea of owning a BOSU better. Can't say why.

I'm sure this question has been asked before but darned if I could find it.

Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 11:30 PM  
fikustree

I think that you can do more overall on a bosu than a rebounder, but if you don't want to do step workouts on it and want to use it for cardio I think a rebounder would work better for you.

Bosu pros- You can use it for strength, weights, yoga, balance, and step. It isn't as big and is easier to store. It will improve your balance and help the smaller muscles get trained. The bosu is less expensive than a good rebounder. You can use it for workouts that you already have. And for me it is more fun.

Rebounder pros- There are more workouts for it (but they are mostly from Urban Rebounding which has mixed reviews). It has more options for cardio, aside from the UR videos and G-force you can do all sorts of other floor cardio workouts on it (boxing, Leslie, or anything where you don't use a lot of space) and you can use it to modify plyo sections from workouts where you don't want the impact. It is fun to use for freestyling to music or cardio coach and it is fun to take outside. It has health benefits for your lymphatic system.
fikustree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 12:02 AM  
Heather_P

I don't have a Bosu, but they do sound like fun. From my understanding, you work a lot on balance on the Bosu. I'd be interested to know what videos people use on them and how easily adaptable they are (non-step videos, in your case).

As for the rebounder, if you like kickboxing, you can do it on the rebounder. I put some of my kickboxing videos on audio files and pull my rebounder outside when the weather is nice. A lot of other videos can be adapted to the rebounder, as well as audio workouts like Cardio Coach and iTrain (I'm sure you've seen the numerous threads about this). Also, if you are used to riding a stationary bike, a rebounder might be more similar because you can watch TV or play music while you are jumping (thereby not concentrating so much on what you are doing), whereas it seems like the Bosu you would want to do more 'moves' on it?
Heather_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 12:11 AM  
benemma

Here is an article on the health benefits. Another interesting article.

Seems like even if they are exaggerating the claims, it still is very good for you.

I haven't been doing it long enough to see long term benefits, but I am really enjoying it. I was burned out on working out and had basically stopped. I got a rebounder and now I'm looking forward to doing cardio again. Sometimes I do CC, sometimes I just watch tv and flip channels. My daughter loves to bounce on it, too, so it worked out nicely for her to get some exercise and have some fun as well.

I've never tried a BOSU so I can't comment, but it does look like fun.

It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
-Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
benemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 01:14 AM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

The comparison that made me want to buy a Rebounder over a BOSU (and I wanted a BOSU badly!) was that a Rebounder is really good for your knees (even feels good when my bad knee isn't doing well) and a BOSU can be hard on your knees (is higher than most people use for a step).

I tried out Mandy's BOSU when I was visiting her and it was interesting how you have to balance, but it hurt my knee to use it.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 05:30 AM  
horsemom2

I have both and have used a rebounder everyday for an average of an hour or more daily and the Bosu maybe 5 minutes a couple of times a week, mostly just balancing or doing foot compressions on top. Doubt I would still be workingout regularly if I hadn't tried rebounding even though not a fan of the Urban Rebounding style or any rebounding specific workout, preferring to adapt dance, kickboxing, walking, and athletic hi-lo workouts as well as freestyle to stimulating music.
There are many ways to use the rebounder for strength too either with light weights while moving (warning: there is a GForce effect making light weights much heavier on the joints), heavier weights while using moves that challenge balance and bands hooked around a leg or two while standing, sitting and lying. Also prefer to do most ab work on it instead of the floor.

Barb S
who especially loves the YogFlex for more room and its tilting option
(too bad Amazon ran out of their stock soon after they lowered its price)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 07:22 AM  
met fan

I also can not decide. I really want to get something new. I really like step workouts so I am thinking about the Bosu. However, the rebounder looks like so much fun! Colleen
met fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 08:04 AM  
Gardengirl

Renee, Heather and Barb pretty well summed it up. I have both and use my rebounder way more often than my Bosu. I had hoped to do some step work on the Bosu but found it just too high for me, making it too intense and hard on the knees. I think the Rebounder is so much more versatile.
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 08:20 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

For those who find a regular BOSU too high, there are now "Sports" BOSUs at 7" and 9".
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 08:40 AM  
Carol_is_fit

I like them both but I also recognize they are designed for different things. I do not do step on the BOSU. It's too high for it and I'm too short for that even if it was designed for it. The newer, smaller ones may be better for that however. I use my BOSU for what it was designed to do - to improve balance and coordination. When I do the BOSU workouts out there that have you doing step routines on it I do the step moves on the floor and the rest of the workout on the BOSU. Works for me!

As for the rebounder, you don't only have to do "rebounder" workouts on it! I use mine for ANY high impact moves. This lets me do time-honored favorite workouts and doesn't hurt my knees in the process. There are probably dozens of moves you could do on a rebounder. It's fun to be creative and see what "works"!

Bottom line, I don't regret either purchase and I find plenty of ways to use each.

Carol

Tags
bosu, bosu sport