Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-05, 09:14 AM  
vm_mom

Home made barre

I remember reading a while ago, that someone made their own barre for callanetics and TBM etc.

Does anyone have the link to that site or instructions?

thanks
vm_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 09:39 AM  
cinza
VF Supporter

I make my own ..They are not free standing though.

Mine are attached to the wall.
Simply find a strong dowel or railing material.. 1.75 inches is most comfortable for my hand.
I use stair rail brackets. They can go right into the wall where there is a stud behind the surface of the wall. Use long screws. Its great to be able to hang all your weight on the barre without fear.

I like my bar further from the wall so I attached 2x4s to my wall then the brackets on top of them

.........also.
If you ever looked at Callans old book you will see she has a set of stretching bars to hang off.. maybe 7 or 8 feet tall a rod every 10 inches or so to the floor.
Wanting to do the hanging stuff, I also put a barre in my closet doorway about 6 ft high.. It rests on shelves on either side of the closet door.
I hang off this once or twice a day.. first thing when I get up and late in the day.
Its really quite a nice thing to do. I can move this barre down to other shelves and use it at several different heights...
the barre rests on the shelf and is pulled towards the door frame where its secure ... enough for my needs.... just a little bumper of some sort will keep the bar from slipping away the other direction.

I would love a set of bars like Callanetics and Lotte Berk use (in studio).

A barre 10 inches off the floor would be great for sitting stretches... or hooking feet under for some other work.

LOVE MY BARRES!!!

I love doing yoga poses with them too... a Barre is a wonderful thing.

The one in my bedroom is very handy for hanging stuff on too!
cinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 10:58 AM  
AngiTN

I made one out of metal pipes and screw on connectors from the home store. The length of pipe for the bar and pipes for the legs depends on personal preference. Just don't make it too tall or too short. It needs to hit you right in the pelvic/hip region, somewhere above where your legs join your torso, but not up to your waist.

For the feet I put a T shaped piece on the upright leg so that a short pipe can screw in to each end. I put caps on the other end of those short pipes. You can more or less see mine in this picture

Old 04-12-05, 11:06 AM  
cinza
VF Supporter

That looks great!!!
nice colorful room too!!

how long are the supporting "feet"?

I think I am going to make one like this too.
cinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 11:06 AM  
SurferGirl

Angi-

I LOVE your workout space. Now that's what I'm talking about!!
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 11:07 AM  
ElitaOne

My "Barre" For TBM

As TBM mostly uses the barre for balance, I've successfully use my wooden quilt rack to serve the purpose. It works great and is at the right height for me. I also don't need to worry about hiding it away - just throw a decorative throw on it on stick it back in the corner.

I wouldn't recommend it for Callanetics, though - you'll need something that will support your weight for that one.

RS

Raquel

"Failure is not an option." - NASA
ElitaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 11:20 AM  
AngiTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinza
That looks great!!!
nice colorful room too!!

how long are the supporting "feet"?

I think I am going to make one like this too.
I think, from the best of my memory, that each piece used on the feet are 1' sections. It's been quite sturdy. I do like to put my 12 or 15 lb dumbbells on the legs if I'm going to be leaning on it a lot, like in Lotte Berk or Bar Method workouts. I made mine 10' long so I could lay out in the Callanetics workouts with little effot. But, it doesn't have to be that long. 6' or 8' would have been fine.

Thanks for the comments about my space. I do like it. I have more pictures here... My workout space
Old 04-12-05, 11:50 AM  
SurferGirl

WOW! I only dream about an exercise storage shelf like that!
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 12:02 PM  
cooldham

Check out this website :
http://www.100megsfree4.com/ballet/b...ewsletter.html or do a search on yahoo for "how to make a barre".

My husband followed the instructions and made one for me and I can really lean my weight on that sucker - yet it's light enough to pick up and carry around. And it was only about $40 to do it!
cooldham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy barre