Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-02, 05:40 PM  
cmayes71

Who has had great results?

I was wondering who all has had great results and what tapes did you use to achieve them? When talking about results, I mostly hear about the Firm. I'd like to know if a person can achieve just as good or better results using other videos. Right now I have "I want that body" by Tamilee, Pure Strength by Cathe, Pilates for Dummies, Kathy Smith Kickboxing, and Walk away the Pounds. I'm getting Keli Roberts abs tape. I don't know if this is enough to effectively help me burn fat and tone my body.
cmayes71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-02, 06:48 PM  
Connie
VF Supporter

I think my results are okay, possibly great. I lost 20 pounds and I am now a lifelong exerciser. I used the Firm, Breakthru Cardio Dance, Cathe (learned the most about form from her tapes), many others, and did many workouts on my own, bike riding to work, dancing to music, weight work with music.

My key to success has been patience. It took a long time to get sloppy so it takes a while to clean up. And educating myself, having an open mind, and being willing to work at it. Not expecting immediate results, and cross-training. Click on link below to see pics.

My page
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-02, 07:04 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Hi Connie

First congratulations on your success! I was looking at your pictures from Colorado and was wondering where they were taken. I'm originally from Southern Colorado (we went home last summer) but currently live in New Jersey.
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-02, 07:05 PM  
Connie
VF Supporter

Near Denver, some at Red Rocks and some at Mount Evans.
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 08:38 AM  
kem60

Pure Strength did it for me

When I was losing weight (and I lost 80 pounds, now 5'6" 108 pounds), I was using a combination of PS, each tape 3x per week (I know she says don't do it more than 2 but it didn't bother me), treadmill walking and/or fast walking outside and a stretch tape 3x week. That's a lot of working out, I know.

But it worked for me. My body looks like Cathe's now and I was a blimp before I started.

Pure Strength is IMO the best workout out there. I'm still using it 3x per week over a year later and still happy with the results.
kem60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 09:06 AM  
Jammin'
VF Supporter

WOW, Kem60!!!

That's impressive. I want to ask how long it took to lose the 80 lbs., but I don't know if it's against the VF rules, so I'll refrain!! (It's killing me tho.)

So I'll just say Congratulations!!

Robin.
Jammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 09:07 AM  
horsemom2

great results here with mostly TaeBo but

have been doing many other types of workouts since losing the first 25 pounds quickly the first year and still feel and see changes going on almost 2 years since. I don't think it matters which specific styles you use as long as you get enough crosstraining, cardio, weights, and stretching in each week. Most importantly, you need to enjoy the styles you are choosing so you will do them.
The Firm workouts combine cardio and weights which burns calories faster while building muscle so that is why some folks stick with them.

Barb
who did Kacy Duke's Sculpt & Groove today thanks to the folks who recommended that one here and really loved it
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 11:28 AM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Re: Pure Strength did it for me

Quote:
Originally posted by kem60
When I was losing weight (and I lost 80 pounds, now 5'6" 108 pounds), I was using a combination of PS, each tape 3x per week (I know she says don't do it more than 2 but it didn't bother me), treadmill walking and/or fast walking outside and a stretch tape 3x week. That's a lot of working out, I know.

But it worked for me. My body looks like Cathe's now and I was a blimp before I started.

Pure Strength is IMO the best workout out there. I'm still using it 3x per week over a year later and still happy with the results.
I have nothing to add to your sensible recommendations. It's just interesting to note that I'm about the same height as you, however:

Just after my surgery in 1999, when I weighed 160, I felt uncomfortably thin. I don't think I had much fat except in my thighs and boobs. Definitely not enough where I sat down, if you get the picture.

When I'm the weight at which you felt like a "blimp," I felt just right, perfect. (I'm 20 pounds heavier right now, but that's another story.)

Body compositions really differ. Women don't only differ in height. They also differ in bone structure, leg length, musculature, and breast size.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 11:36 AM  
Mandy

Results

When I first started to lose weight, I used the Firm workouts and cathe for cardio(because back then, the Firm only had the parts tapes for cardio and I didn't like that). Then I found Tae Bo. I didn't like the 1st 4 videos(too dark of a set). But then Billy made his new live! tapes and I started off with the Basic live! and then graduated to the advanced. I was on a plateau and doing Tae Bo live! advanced 2 times a week and Tae Bo basic live! 2 times a week with Firm 1 for the other days made me go down 1 dress size in just 2 weeks!

For my bodytype, I am tall and an ectomorph so it's very very hard for me to put on muscle in my upper body. That is why I like Joyce VEdral so much. She uses the pyramid system and does 3 sets working the muscle at every different angle. But the "pyramid system" is what gave me results in my upper body and abs. I rotate all her videos. and when I get tired of her videos, I rotate her books. Especially the Weight training made easier book and videos. These are my favorites. I saw faster results using Joyce's weight training techniques than any other video.
For cardio, I still use the Firm but my faster results come from using Tae Bo. I now try and do Tae Bo live! Advanced tapes4-5 times a week. I do Firm cardio on the rest of the days. My choice of these videos:Core Cardio 1,2 and Super Cardio, Max cardio and Cardio Burn).

As of this week, I'm doing Tae Bo for cardio and Weights First/Fitprime for lower body and Joyce Vedral for upper body and abs. I do Split routines for weights. Upper one day, lower the next. This doesn't affect my cardio. I try to do cardio everyday. It just makes me feel good!

I still love the Firm but you really can get fabulous results using other videos. But the most important is to find the video that motivates you and keeps you going. You won't keep consistant with a video you hate. Yes, I do get sick of Tae Bo once in a while but then I switch to something else for 1 week. That is my limit. Then after that week, I start to miss the tough ab workout that Tae Bo gives, so I go back to Tae Bo.

I find results come from "sticking" to a video. That is the way you see results. Results won't come from doing say Firm 1 once a month. You won't see any changes! You need to find a video that you KNOW will give results and stick to it. As much as people love Firm Super Sculpt, it does nothing for my triceps. I need my triceps worked at every different angles. and my chest needs MUCH more than just pushups. So you see, the Firm may be good to start off with but as you grow stronger, you need to challenge the muscle more.

Sorry so long!
Mandy
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 11:55 AM  
lynnem3
VF Supporter

Crosstraining

I make sure that I do a combination of step, strength, hi/lo or kickboxing and yoga/stretch every week in a 3 or 4 day workout week. Crosstraining keeps me from getting bored and works my muscles differently. The biggest calorie burner for me is kickboxing - especially Powerstrikes which are my new obsession!

The biggest surprise I have had is the results that I get from nontraditional strength work and core work. I have developed good functional strength and reasonably flat abs My current favorite is Body Bar Ripple.

The results I've had are more than just the obvious. Not only have I lost my pregnancy weight (which took me over a year), but at my last doctor's appointment, I had lost another 10 pounds. More importantly to me, exercising at home is helping me to control health issues, gives me energy, and helps me stay calm and focused. I should also add that I have significantly altered what I put into my body in the way of food.

cmayes 71 - You have a good start on your video collection, however you might want to add some more

Tags
significant weight loss, success, success stories, successful weight loss, weights only