Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-03, 08:28 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

It didn't bother me -

but it didn't appeal to me either. Mostly it was just weird looking.

However... I liked the issue a lot. I liked the pear-shaped article a lot.

Leela
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 08:30 AM  
Aria

It was sort of funny the other day, because I heard one of the trainer/instructors at the Y coming into the fitness center talking to the other trainer/instructor pretty animated about how she "didn't think that was appopriate in a womans magazine" blah blah blah....

if not for VF, I wouldn't have known exactly what they were talking about!!!
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 08:46 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

They seem to have a lot on the ball, huh? A stupid ad and an incorrect web address. Yep, I'm going right out to buy a supply of 'those' bars!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 09:12 AM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

eeewww...

I *thought* something was up with M+F Hers...the ever-shrinking logo...the art director never would have approved the 2 - colored logo this month (sorry, the designer in me couldn't resist...) And that peanut butter ad....GA-ROSSS!!!!!
It's been grossing me out ever since I got the magazine. We should all write letters to M+F Hers to tell tham how insulted we are by that disgusting ad. I didn't subscribe to Maxim!!!!

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 11:03 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Finally saw it...

DH and I were in B&N and found the issue of M&F HERS. We turned it over and looked at the ad. I just sighed in disappointment. DH looked at it about 20 seconds and said, "What are they selling?" I said, "Look a the the bottom of the page'. He goes, "Oh."

Let's face it, M&F has always had a semi-cheesy format. All those Hydroxycut ads, etc. But I did subscribe for a while and did enjoy the articles and pull-outs. We usually send in our old magazines to DH's work. He says they guys fight over M&F. I'm sure it's to check the model's form !!!

I guess they will be selling more of these to men than women.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 11:14 AM  
Gatorfan76

Angry MF HERS === SHAPE 2 !!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys!
One more thing that really TICKS ME OFF!!

Of all my fitness mag subscriptions , the one that I can't wait to end is the one for Shape magazine. They recycle the same articles over and over again, and they never feature any original exercises, or cutting edge fitness info.

I really liked MF Hers a lot so I got a 3 yr subscription and now they are EXACTLY LIKE SHAPE !!
Nothing original, just the same exercises and variations on similar articles over and over and over and over and over again!!!!!!
(Shape's publisher now owns the rights to MF Hers, by the way....)

This really sucks!
You can get a year of Shape for less than $3.00 on some sites!! I paid more than $50.00 for my 3 yr MF Hers subscription and now they're exactly the same!!

I feel so cheated!!
Don't even get me started on that Peanut Butter ad!

I've been a VFer for years, and this is literally my first ever angry post! (that should give you an idea how bad the new MF Hers is!)

---Cheryl
Gatorfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 12:03 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Unhappy

I am really disappointed because I just started a description to M&F hers after hearing all the good things about it. I haven't even received my first issue yet. I already have a subscriptin to Shape. I got it when they were giving away the two firm videos. So, it was well worth it.
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 12:26 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

The good and the bad............

Hi Alta. I agree with you. M&F Hers is a mixture of good and bad. The Hydroxy "supposedly" real life stories have always been a turn off, but they really do have some excellent articles and I do love the pull out rotations. I am disappointed with the material they are now using.

Cherly, I always thought Weider published both M&F Hers and Shape and that's why I would see the similar articles in both magazines.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 12:55 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

In Defense of Fitness Mags ...

Well, 'in defense of' aren't the right words -- more like 'an excuse for' maybe.

I've been reading fitness magazines forever, and there's just so much information on the subject (I mean a finite amount). Yes, there is new information all the time - but all the mags jump on it as soon as it's available. Hence, many mags have the same info. And even with the 'same old information' new readers are coming on board all the time and the info is new to them.

I now average about 10 minutes per magazine, unless there actually is something 'new' there (which isn't too often). I mean, it really is the same old stuff. Maybe that's why there are so many 'advertorials' - ads with stories attached. Most of those look like real articles until you turn the page and realize the big solution they're touting is some product!

Still, I keep buying and buying and buying. Hey - I might miss something, you know! I don't know - it's tough. How many ways can you package the same information to make it look different? And those of us who work out at home don't need to study the rotations using all the gym equipment. Heck, I don't look at any of the rotations because I do videos. I know I skip more articles than I read ........ Ah, when will it all end
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 02:26 PM  
Gatorfan76

My mistake guys!!

HI Debbie!
OOPS My mistake!!
You're absolutely right Weider does produce both Shape and MF Hers! However, I always felt there was always a distinct difference btw the two magazines, now I can't really tell the difference. I mean last month's issue was a certain way, and this month ---The cover set up is different, the issue is way thinner, the paper is less quality, and the content is now way too similar to Shape. (the only difference that I noticed was MFHers has Hydrocut ads, and Shape doesn't...)

The change was just so drastic and so sudden maybe that's why I'm reacting this way :rolleyes:

---Hopefully next month's issue will be better :rolleyes:

--Cheryl
Gatorfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muscle and fitness hers