Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-03, 01:07 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Shape has really disappointed me...I should have known when I checked out the website. It's too cute and I just don't see it promoting half as much a healthy lifestyle as fitting into society's standards of being perfectly thin and sexy. I won't be renewing either. And Muscle & Fitness Hers didn't grab me either when I saw it in a supermarket this am. Thank God for VF!!!
Old 08-16-03, 01:37 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Never mind...I just got mine in the mail. Don't the advertisers and publishers know this magazine is geared towards women? Or maybe they think that they'll get a male audience this way too.
At least she seems to have real breasts.

What's next? An ad about a banana-flavored protein bar that has a naked woman eating a banana in a suggestive way?

Though talk about subliminal advertising: on about page 5, there is an ad for skintimate shave gel, and an image of a mound of angelfood cake? (I don't know what it is, but some breast-shaped dessers) with pink icing running down from the top and a raspberry poised on top, in a very " nipple-like" fashion.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 02:00 PM  
ARTYGIRL
VF Supporter

M&F Hers ... now T&A Hers

OH HURL!

So let's just change the name of this magazine right now to "Want to F*%# Me, Big Boy?"

What year is this again? Is it REALLY the 21st century?

Marie
angry militant fitness feminist

"A trimuph of art over logic"
(Manic Street Preachers)
ARTYGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 02:03 PM  
nappentass

a suggestion

I don't know if this is any help to anyone, there's an excellent magazine in the UK called UltrFit - it is also used by those in the fitness trade here in the UK

http://www.ultra-fit.org.uk/

also I doubt its available to the US but there is a UK version of Shape that is (and still seems to be) IMHO one of the better magazines

J
nappentass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 02:11 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I haven't seen the Sept/Oct issue - I looked today, but it's still the July/August issue.

I don't know why I keep buying all these fitness magazines. I'm down to about 15 minutes with each one now, since there's not much new - as someone already pointed out.

I did come across Fit the other day - haven't read it yet though. That's the one that we never know if it's out of business or not!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 02:40 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I let my subscription lapse...

I liked M&F HERS for a while. There were some good articles. And the wall charts for workout rotations were a nice touch. I feel that they actually tried to feature a few fitness models who didn't have implants.

I just couldn't take all the ads. If I pay that much for a magazine I don't need to have to see so many ads!

I remember Cory Everson tried to start up a fitness mag called "Gotta Sweat!". It folded after a few issues. It had potential.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 02:49 PM  
dani21496

I just got the copy in the mail today. The back cover is disgusting. Gross!!!!! It's really nasty!

It's OneWay Peanut Butter Protein Energy Bar Ad. A topless girl is eating peanut butter out of a jar and her boobs are covered in peanut butter. Well, the peanut butter is painted on over her boobs.

I'm just ripping the page off and throwing it out.

Reeeeeeeeeaaaal classy!!!! :rolleyes:

"When you're busy comparing one person to another or one experience to something else, you often miss out on what's right before you."

Richard Carlson, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
dani21496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 02:50 PM  
Dabbadooey

I quit buying magazines-too much money for too little info. Now I just buy Woman's World at the grocery store each week
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 05:16 PM  
doskymom

Danielle,

Did you see the what the ad says, too? It starts out "What a perfect pair!" My, how clever...
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 05:29 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Thumbs down

Oh, yuck!

It's worth sending an e-mail or snail mail addressed to the publisher telling him/her that you intend to not buy or renew the mag because of ads like this. I used to work for a software mag that took ads for, um, "gentlemen's" software and pressure from the readers eventually convinced them to stop.
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muscle and fitness hers