Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-04, 04:37 PM  
bugaboo62

and here's another...

One of my favorite breakfast treats is to lightly toast some good quality multi-grain bread (I love Brownberry Oven's Health Nut or Ezekial (sp?) bread), and then remove from the toaster or toaster oven, top with lowfat cottage cheese and sprinkle with cinnamon. Then broil for a minute or so until the cheese gets kindof melty. You can also add a little sugar or honey on top of the cottage cheese before adding the cinnamon. Very yummy and very filling.

OR, my current, very decadent and not very healthy favorite that I only eat every once-in-awhile, whole grain bread toasted, spread with natural peanut butter, nutella and a sliced banana. AHHHHH. Great for when the chocolate cravings have hit.

oh. now I'm hungry!
sallie
bugaboo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 04:40 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Interesting...I'm not a big cottage cheese fan (the texture sort of weirds me out) but that sounds good. Does it actually melt? It doesn't seem to really have any flavor, but with cinnamon (and maybe banana too?) I think it could be good.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 04:50 PM  
bugaboo62

Yeah, I'm also not a huge cottage cheese fan either due to the texture. I get the small curd that's not dry (ick) and yes, it does melt very nicely. It's really good. Surprisingly!
Old 08-25-04, 10:08 AM  
bugaboo62

Here's another favorite...

This one sounds a little strange, but it is really, really good. It's got fiber, protein, dairy and fruit and makes enough to eat throughout the week if you want. I found it in a cookbook called "Stealth Health" and eat it often. Don't be afraid of the prunes!

Breakfast pudding
1 12 oz. package of pitted prunes
1 and one half cups orange juice
2 8 oz. containers vanilla yogurt (regular, lowfat, nonfat...whatever!)
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg

Combine the prunes and orange juice in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then remove, cover and let sit for 30 minutes or more.

Puree oj/prune mixture, (I usually have to do this in two batches in my blender), fold in yogurt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Either put in separate custard cups or one big bowl and refrigerate. Lasts about a week in the fridge and tastes great.

I imagine you could use other dried fruit besides prunes. Apricots maybe?

sallie
Old 08-25-04, 10:19 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaboo62
This one sounds a little strange, but it is really, really good. It's got fiber, protein, dairy and fruit and makes enough to eat throughout the week if you want. I found it in a cookbook called "Stealth Health" and eat it often. Don't be afraid of the prunes!
Um, yeah, it does sound strange! I have a recipe for a couscous thing that's sort of similar though, so maybe I should just get over it and try the recipe!

In the one I have, the couscous is cooked in apple juice and cinnamon. You add dried fruits and nuts, and eat it with vanilla yogurt. I should post that, have to remember where I got it though.
Old 08-25-04, 12:22 PM  
bdandy3
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
Um, yeah, it does sound strange! I have a recipe for a couscous thing that's sort of similar though, so maybe I should just get over it and try the recipe!

In the one I have, the couscous is cooked in apple juice and cinnamon. You add dried fruits and nuts, and eat it with vanilla yogurt. I should post that, have to remember where I got it though.
Pratima: I'd love to see this one if you can find it?

You cannot be good or bad at yoga. Just do what you can and you will reap the rewards.
Alan Finger
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:47 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Beth, I'll look for it tonight. It's been a while since I made it, but it really is good.
Old 08-25-04, 03:27 PM  
bdandy3
VF Supporter

thanks, Pratima!

You cannot be good or bad at yoga. Just do what you can and you will reap the rewards.
Alan Finger
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 12:35 AM  
ducky

Looking for breakfast ideas

I make a breakfast *powercake* every once in a while that is really good. Here are the ingredients:

4 egg whites
1/2 c slow cook oatmeal
1/4 to 1/2 cup cottage cheese
splenda to taste

whir it all up in a blender and cook in non stick pan sprayed with cooking spray.

I also like to cook my oatmeal in 4 egg whites, 1/3 cup water, and a good glop of sugar free maple syrup. Then I put a spoon of cottage cheese and a little milk in it once cooked. Yummy, comfort food full of protien and complex carbs.
ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 04:42 AM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky
I make a breakfast *powercake* every once in a while that is really good. Here are the ingredients:

4 egg whites
1/2 c slow cook oatmeal
1/4 to 1/2 cup cottage cheese
splenda to taste

whir it all up in a blender and cook in non stick pan sprayed with cooking spray.

I also like to cook my oatmeal in 4 egg whites, 1/3 cup water, and a good glop of sugar free maple syrup. Then I put a spoon of cottage cheese and a little milk in it once cooked. Yummy, comfort food full of protien and complex carbs.

I eat something like your Powercake, and it's really good!

I don't understand on the 2nd recipe - is it also a "pancake" recipe that you mix in a blender? Because I don't see how how you would cook the oatmeal in 4 whites if you were making oatmeal like cereal?? I would think the egg whites would "set" before the oatmeal would be cooked. Or do you use an instant brand?

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, easy recipe, recipe, steel cut oats