Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 07-14-04, 11:52 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

How about a breakfast burrito--

1 flour tortilla
2 T shredded potato (I use the frozen thin shreds intended for hash browns)
1 T frozen or fresh chopped onion
1 T minced jalapeno (or to taste)
1 egg
1 T Nonfat sour cream
1-2 T shredded cheese

Spray non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Add veggies and cook til done. Drape tortilla over top of skillet while cooking veggies so it gets nice and warm.
Combine egg with 1 T nonfat sour cream. Add to skillet, turn off heat, and scramble.
Place eggs in tortilla, top with a smidgen of grated cheese.

Takes me 5-10 mins max.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 07:04 AM  
noodlefrog

Or another twist on the breakfast burrito

One of our easiest breakfasts is a tortilla slathered with peanut butter, then sprinkled with granola (or a favorite cereal) and topped with fruit yogurt. Roll, and you're ready to go. If good fruit is in season, fruit and plain yogurt is really good, but a little more prep time. This is also good with almond butter. Experiment with your favorites, using nut butter to hold it together, and don't overfill!
noodlefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 08:48 AM  
malalucina

Oatmeal and Egg Whites

I know it sounds boring, but after a morning workout, I eat 3 egg whites...no time for anything fancy. But before I leave for work, I pack 1/2 cup dry raw oats, 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries, a few crushed pecans and some splenda. When I get to work I throw everything into a big mug, pour hot water over it, Yum yum yum!!! An alternate to the berries is some lite maple syrup, cinnamon and raisins.

It's like a warm cobbler!

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

-- Lao Tzu
malalucina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 11:26 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Ooo, more good ideas! It's good I dredged up this old thread. I was getting a little tired of bagels with peanut butter and banana, or Kashi day after day.

I love breakfast burritos. I love them most when DH makes them though. I make the lazy version--peppers, onions, and egg in a wheat tortilla with cheese and sour cream. He adds veggie bacon, potatoes, and who knows what else.

Noodlefrog (great username!) I'm going to try your recipe. We have tons of granola around that needs to be eaten! Malalucina, that doesn't sound boring at all.

I eat very healthy in general, but sometimes it gets hard to be creative. Lots of veggies, brown rice, wheat products, etc. Gets hard to mix and match.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-04, 03:33 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Morning Star veggie burger, eaten plain without condiments nor burger bun. I just microwave on low power - (I like the prime grilled, spicy bean and pizza flavors)

Shake - 8 oz of unsweetened Silk Organic soy milk + 2 scoops of Aria 50:50 soy and whey combination protein powder + fresh strawberries

Kashi Go Lean with unsweetened soy milk
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-04, 09:29 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

1) I like shakes too, altho I'm not a soy milk fan....

Just blend 1 c skim milk + 1/2 cup frozen fruit (+ Equal if you want it sweeter, and I add about 1/2 tsp of vanilla powder).

Bananas, cherries, peaches, strawberries are all great.

Can also sub OJ for some of the milk.

2) Can't remember if we already mentioned trail mix?
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-04, 12:20 PM  
caligurl

kashi golean crunch, a banana, and light chocolate soy milk

also, kashi golean crunch, strawberries, light vanilla soy milk (or skim milk)

also.. just made some muffins using kashi good friend serial.. they are really yummy! fat free and cholesteral free! i think i'm going to pick up some light cream cheese to spread on them..

http://www.kashi.com/frienfibmuf.html

they're only 100 calories each!
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 08:54 PM  
lovemygirls
VF Supporter

Hi Pratima!!

I didn't scroll through all 4 PAGES of this yet so maybe someone suggested this already.

I know you don't do meat, but I cook turkey bacon for the girls (you know who when I have extra time (like on Sunday) and put it in a ziploc bag and just quickly reheat in the microwave. Its great for school days, it only takes a couple of minutes to scramble their eggs and do toast and the bacon is alread done. I've done the pre-cooked stuff like when we go to the beach but it is way expensive.

Surely a vegan/bacon alternative would do well this way.

Good luck! Great thread btw!

Kerri

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-04, 12:22 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi Kerri! Actually, I'm not sure how veggie bacon would do. It gets dry really easily. The good thing is, it's relatively easy to cook. The more you can make ahead of time, the better! Do you ever make the eggs in advance? I think it was discussed earlier in this thread. It works, but they can get a bit rubbery.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 12:22 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Another good peanut butter snack!

Have you ever tried peanut butter on caramel corn/rice cakes? Really tasty treat! I buy the Safeway store brand corn/rice cakes. Just as good as Quaker or other brands!

Pam
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, easy recipe, recipe, steel cut oats