Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-03, 11:35 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

I find it difficult to find breakfasts that keep me satisfied until lunch. The only one that really, really does is Kashi go Lean Crunch cereal, but I get tired of it. I have found though that with many other breakfasts I will eat at home, have a cup of tea and maybe a few soy nuts at around 10:30 and then be okay---I always play it better safe than sorry on this as I often do a workout at lunch before I eat so I want to make sure I can last without feeling starved.

Here are some Peanut Butter ideas:

- Stir a psoonful of Peanut Butter into oatmeal
- Enjoy plain on an English Muffin with some Orange Juice
- Spread on a tortilla, put a whole banana in the centre and wrap (this is VERY good and with some juice or soy milk, very satisfying)

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-03, 06:11 AM  
Randi
VF Supporter

I've been having this as a snack rather than breakfast but it really keeps me full. I mix together plain no-fat yogurt, raisins, soy nuts, slivered almonds and a handfull of 1-minute oatmeal (uncooked). Sometimes I add some cottage cheese. You can play with the amounts to get the consistency you want, it's really filling and you can do it the night before.
Old 04-26-03, 09:33 AM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Better Than Your Usual Oatmeal

If you can do a little prep the night before, steel cut oatmeal is a nice breakfast. Here's what I do: Melt 1 teaspoon unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add 1 serving steel cut oats (1/4 c.) Stir the oats over medium-high heat until they're toasted and fragrant. Add 1 c. water, take off the heat, and cover. Leave overnight at room temperature. You can skip the toasting in butter stage and just soak plain oats in water, but do try it. It's worth a few minutes time! The water/oats proportions work for any number of servings, but don't increase the proportion of butter much.

Next morning, put on medium low heat and uncover. Cook 20 minutes while I'm in the shower or getting ready. It's a remarkably quick, low effort breakfast if you do the prep. I eat them with buttermilk, plain yogurt, or cottage cheese and brown sugar. I've heard sour cream is good, too, but I don't usually eat full fat dairy, so I can't vouch for that variation. Also good with fresh fruit or stewed prunes or figs. Some people stir in peanut butter or walnuts and raisins near the end of cooking. Variations are endless, and it sticks with me 'til mid-morning pretty reliably, especially with added protein.
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-03, 06:27 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Oat Bran Cereal

Oat Bran cereal cooks quickly in the microwave. I make it in a large flat soup bowl (less boil over) using soy milk instead of water, cooking for 3 minutes and stirring after each minute. Then I top it with a tablespoon or two of chopped walnuts and a sliced banana. Or berries and almonds.

There's quite a lot of protien in this for a cereal breakfast and enough fiber to make me feel full.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 11:02 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

All these ideas are really great--helping me break out of the cereal rut! Of course, for those mornings when I'm running late, and don't mind, cereal is still good.

I did discover Kashi Go Lean sold in the BIG boxes at Costco over the weekend...haven't gotten any yet though, still have tons of other cereal to finish!

Another good recipe I have, that I'd forgotten about, is couscous with dried fruit. Bring apple juice and cinnamon to a boil (instead of water), pour in couscous and dried fruits (apricots and dates). Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork, and mix in chopped walnuts. You can eat this warm or cold. It keeps for several days, and you can also add vanilla or other yogurt.

I'll have to make up a batch of this, I'd forgotten about it!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 12:30 PM  
Charlene
VF Supporter

mmm.... breakfast

I love breakfast, and am also a vegetarian (nothing with eyes, very well put!). Also, I am a morning exerciser and that means not a lot of time.

Some of my favourites are:

sandwiches made with tofu whatever - sausage, bacon, ham, etc. and maybe even a cooked egg - I love egg-beaters/egg substitute - the QUICKEST way to cook eggs sans microwave. saves all the time you'd spend cracking/whipping cleaning up drips. I find a decent sandwich on whole grain bread holds me a while, esp. with a piece of fruit.

yogurt blended with cottage cheese (sounds gross, looks gross, tastes okay . It doesn't look as bad if you blend it with vanilla or plain yogurt.

Cereal with banana/fruit and soy milk - this one, I tend to get hungry. Will have to look for Kashi go Lean .

Protein shake - fruit, soy milk, soy protein powder, blend, drink. Pretty simple and really filling.

Hmm... that's all that come to mind. the other thing that is great for me is I am absolutely fearless about chucking any of these into an appropriate container and taking them to work to eat

Charlene

"“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.”

Rumi.

Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
Rumi
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 07:21 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

another tofu idea

Charlene's post reminded me of a breakfast I made frequently when I worked 45+ hrs a week: tofu salad sandwich! I used the recipe out of Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and made them with Great Harvest honey whole wheat bread. I'd make the salad on Sunday night and eat it throughout the week.

Super yummy and very portable if you put it in a plastic baggie or wrap it in waxed paper. I probably shouldn't admit it, but I sometimes ate one while driving to work. Not smart. We've all eaten while driving, though, haven't we?!?
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 07:53 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

So what's the recipe?! For the tofu salad, I mean.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 07:57 PM  
Yunakitty

I really like a toasted Honey Wheat Lender's Bagel with a tbsp of light cream cheese and a tbsp of sliced green olives. Good bit of fiber, just enough fat to make it tasty but not too much, and I think some protein.
Yunakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 11:13 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Apple Cinnamon Couscous Cake

Pratima, your couscous dish sounds very much like the ncouscous cake recipe I found on the Whole Foods site. I added dried fruit. I'll paste my version below. I composed this for relatives after the cake was a big hit with both children and adults over several days at Christmas. Since typing this up I've also made a version with almonds and dried cherries that was a good combination. Forming it in the pan and cutting into squares makes it passable finger food.

I hope the formatting doesn't get fouled up.

<<<
Apple Cinnamon Couscous Cake
www.wholefoodsmarket.com
makes an 8x8 inch cake
· 1¼ cup couscous
· 2 cups apple juice
· 1 cup water
· pinch of salt
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· ½ cup chopped roasted almonds
· ½ tsp vanilla
Bring juice, water and salt to a boil. Add couscous and cinnamon. Stir and adjust heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add almonds and vanilla and let sit another 10 minutes. Rinse an 8x8 inch baking dish or mold with water. Do not dry. Add couscous mixture and pack down. Let cool before cutting into squares or inverting on a serving platter. Refrigerate leftovers.

I doubled the recipe and added two packages of Sun Maid Fruit Bits (1¼ cups each of chopped dried fruit). I put it in a 9x13 non-stick pan.
>>>

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, easy recipe, recipe, steel cut oats