Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-21, 02:45 PM  
star117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I had side effects, but not extreme. For me, temporary side effects are better than potentially long term nerve pain.

I think I mentioned in the older thread that one friend got it on his face and nearly lost his vision. A friend of a friend got it in her lady parts and was in excruciating pain. Um, no thanks!
My hubby got it on his face and his left eye's optical nerve in 2004... not a typo! Took steroid eyedrops over a year and many Dr visits before better. To this day, he still has post herpetic neuralgia on his face. He stopped taking garbantin about ten years ago because it made him loopy. He just deals with the pain and twitching. It truly changed his disposition. I can tell when he is stressed or affected by temperature as his face gets very red where the breakout occurred. I just picked up my shingrix rx last week, and we both plan to get it by end of year.
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-21, 02:45 PM  
Schnauzeritis

I was so happy to get the Sihngrix vaccination. I got it when the pandemic first hit. Prior to that I had been trying to get this vaccination for at least a year probably more. The pharmacy never had it and either did my General Practitioner. The first dose of Shingrix I had no side effects. The second dose wiped me out. I had to leave my office and I fell asleep in my car for 2 hours! The next day I was fine.
I received the Moderna vaccination and had the same results. The first shot no side effects the second shot totally wiped me out for a day.
I'm happy I got the vaccinations and would do it all over again.
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 01:23 PM  
bfit

In case anyone's lost track, I'm the OP, and I got my Shingrex shot yesterday afternoon. Today I have a very sore arm, and I'm tired and draggy, but I don't really feel sick - just tired. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. It helped prepare me.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 01:32 PM  
donnamp

bfit - I'm glad you are doing well.

I have a Dr's appointment in December, I'll continue to think about whether or not to get it.....

Flu vaccine first, though!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 02:09 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
In case anyone's lost track, I'm the OP, and I got my Shingrex shot yesterday afternoon. Today I have a very sore arm, and I'm tired and draggy, but I don't really feel sick - just tired. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. It helped prepare me.
I also got mine yesterday - I just have a really sore arm. I'm not particularly tired or draggy.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 02:12 PM  
Erica H.

bfit - glad you got it and are doing well!

You too, Carol!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 02:32 PM  
bfit

For those who are undecided about getting it, my doctor told me she's had two patients who have had enduring pain from shingles for almost a year. Shingles is supposed to be one of the most painful ailments there is!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 11:10 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

VFer Margaux had shingles in 2019 and cautioned us to please get the vaccine:

"Fellow VFer's, take it from me, it is worth the temporary side effects to avoid Shingles. It has been six weeks since I came down with Shingles and although the worst of it is over, I still have a lot of pain in my back, where it began and all of the skin where the shingles virus traveled is still very sore to the touch. I am still on gabapentin, a nerve med, and using CBD cream on my back. Sorry for the bad effects from the Shintrix vaccine, but hang in there. It is worth it. As soon as my doctor allows, I will be getting the vaccine since I can get Shingles again."

In her later posts she was feeling much better. But, many months were grueling.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 11:29 AM  
DCW

I am due for my 2nd dose in October. Barely any symptoms.

Y'all convinced me to do it after trying to get it for a few years and pharmacies not having any doses.

Thanks!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 12:47 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I am due for my 2nd dose in October. Barely any symptoms.

Y'all convinced me to do it after trying to get it for a few years and pharmacies not having any doses.

Thanks!
Yes! Thanks y'all for bringing this up - the need for the vaccination. It was totally off my radar (and shouldn't have been). Now I'm one dose down.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
shingles, shingrix, vaccine, vaccine reactions, vaccines