Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-21, 09:45 PM  
rhbrand

Eh, I know for me, esp when I'm lifting heavy, I can eat more and lose inches.

And when I'm really at it, I weight my food so I know how many calories I'm getting over just thinking its this many.
Old 08-15-21, 11:54 AM  
kat999

My mom lost almost 150 lbs. very slowly over the course of about 3 years solely through walking at home. And while she didn't change a thing about what she ate or the amount she ate, she did tweak what time windows she ate within. She did all this in her late 60s/early 70s. Anecdotal, yes, but clearly it worked for her.
Old 08-15-21, 01:19 PM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Personally I think this is a load of BS. My husband 6 yrs ago started out at 380 lbs. He started going to the gym and walking on the treadmill. He started with the treadmill flat and could barely do 15 min. 6 yrs later, he is down to 172 and the treadmill is up to maximum incline and he can go for 1 hr 20 min.

The only thing that changed with his diet is he reduced his carb intake, everything else was normal. Now he has begun to incorporate weight lifting to his exercise.
I agree Scorpio. Activity can be very helpful in weight loss. What is not helpful is trying to burn too many calories doing aerobic activities because it causes your body to shut down. I was listening to the American glutton podcast a couple of weeks ago and one of the most influential diet doctors was talking about how to achieve weight loss. It made a lot of sense.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 01:38 PM  
TinaT

Exercise does burn calories, … you just can't out eat the calories you burned or there's no deficit in your calories. Simple math. I'm living proof of that on both ends of the spectrum. I have succeeded and failed throughout my life at making sure I burn more calories than the food provides, if I'm trying to loose weight. It's not complicated or hard to understand.

ETA: We all need to be mindful that everyone's intake and exercise looks different for multiple reasons. Health being the biggest. So be kind.. always.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 09:39 AM  
ellaenchanted

I think exercise is helpful for weightloss but intense exercise increases appetite quite a bit making it easy to eat back those burned calories. Also, intense exercise can set off stress hormones that interfere with losing weight. But, really, it is most important for heart health and maintaining muscles and bone strength ut really shouldn't be the focus of a weightloss plan.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
article, article link, metabolic rate, metabolism