Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-21, 09:03 PM  
Jenn R

Why exercise doesn’t burn extra calories

https://www.futurity.org/calorie-burning-myths-2541282/

Very interesting information why we don’t lose weight with just exercise. Alan Alda had the researcher on his podcast.
I got his book Burn out from the library. So much I didn’t know about metabolism. I always thought the more I exercise the more calories I would burn. Turns out I was so very wrong.

Jenn
Jenn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 09:10 PM  
Jenn R

I didn’t notice there was already a post on this
Old 08-14-21, 12:18 AM  
moonbeam31

Wow, this is interesting! Exercise is good for overall health and well being, but really won't help you lose weight, its all about diet.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 04:30 AM  
Taiga

I think diet definitely has more direct effect on weight loss than exercise but they really over simplify the argument. The right kind of exercise changes appetite and influences hormonal balance in a positive way. So more indirectly, it affects weight loss by shifting the calories an individual wants to consume. A good example would be the effect that exercise has on reducing insulin resistance.

Also, I have read compelling research that some individuals experience more rapid weight loss in response to exercise more than others even when calories are proportionally adjusted. You could argue that those people are in the early stages of the metabolic adaptation mentioned. We have certainly talked about that topic on VF-- newbies to exercise often have more dramatic weight loss than seasoned exercisers (not that other parameters aren't significantly improving for seasoned folks). That initial impetus can motivate and help set up healthy eating patterns.

My bottom line----my body composition is dramatically improved by exercise. I like that they mention losing weight on a calorie controlled twinkie diet. This illustrates the point very well. Give a 1200 calorie twinkie diet vs a 1200 calorie whole foods diet and observe body composition after a year----that will demonstrate the power of hormones. They mention that ultra processed foods tend to make us hungry/over-consume but they don't focus on the hormonal aspect of that and the effects of those hormones on body composition.
Old 08-14-21, 04:48 AM  
Jenn R

The book definitely goes into the research more deeply. Was a really worthwhile read. It talked about Olympic athletes like Michael Phelps who have reported to eat 6000 calories a day - apparently the average person can only digest around 4500 calories a day. Our bodies can not process more then that daily.
Old 08-14-21, 06:50 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Michael was probably swimming 6 to 8 hours a day at the height of his training. Also young males can eat the house down. They have amazing metabolisms in their late teens and early twenties.
Old 08-14-21, 10:58 AM  
gladgirl

Smile

Did they talk about weights? Sometimes "exercise" might mean just aerobic.

I find when I am able to be consistent in my workouts/exercise; I am more consistent in the "diet" part. The two work the best for weightloss, for me.
When I am consistent in only one area the other suffers. I do lose weight when I follow a food plan and don't exercise regularly. But when I do both, I lose weight, feel great, and get good blood work!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 11:27 AM  
Scorpio6

Personally I think this is a load of BS. My husband 6 yrs ago started out at 380 lbs. He started going to the gym and walking on the treadmill. He started with the treadmill flat and could barely do 15 min. 6 yrs later, he is down to 172 and the treadmill is up to maximum incline and he can go for 1 hr 20 min.

The only thing that changed with his diet is he reduced his carb intake, everything else was normal. Now he has begun to incorporate weight lifting to his exercise.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 11:33 AM  
moonbeam31

I agree with you guys! This is a narrow study.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 03:59 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

We've all heard the saying that "you can't outrun a bad diet".

I love following some women in the body building industry (even though I don't lift weights much). I am shocked at how little time they spend in the gym. It's all about your fuel...they spend a lot of time eating quality nutrients.

I think it's almost naive to think you can fuel your body poorly and expect "results".

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
article, article link, metabolic rate, metabolism