Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-21, 02:44 PM  
PennyK

Men's Health 6-WeeK Sweat Off & MA40

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 09:28 AM  
bubbles76

Bumping. Inquiring minds want to know.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 05:28 PM  
fanofladyvols

Both sets intrigue me!
I don't know anything about the Sean Garner set though.

I have tried to trade for MA40 with no luck. The workouts by David Jack I have tried have been winners to me. You can find the Spartacus workouts by him on youtube if you want to see if you would click with him.

You reminded me I need to get back to MH60..I got sidetracked with kettlebells.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 09:48 PM  
bubbles76

Linda how do you like MH60?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-11-21, 11:21 PM  
fanofladyvols

I only got into the first couple of workouts..but I liked MH60 so far. Music on off option. Exercise listed with time bar. No chapters that I remember. The two I did on first disc are metabolic style workouts with modifiers both up and down. Nice mobility style warmup and cooldowns.

The first one was moderate intensity cardio. The second used dumbbells to add intensity and was harder imho. I used a weight plate because mine has handles.

There is some up and down activity if that bothers you. I also like to baby my knees when they're on the floor so I use a knee pad.

If you like the Spartacus workouts by him then I think you'd like these. Same style.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 06:05 PM  
bubbles76

****Old Thread Alert*****

Reviving, as I the only place I see it to buy 6 Week Sweat Off is Rodale (shudder). Any reviews on 6 Week Sweat Off or MA40?
Old 08-17-21, 07:51 AM  
bubbles76

Bumping. Anyone? Bueller?

And while I'm at it, any thoughts on New Rules of Muscle?
Old 08-17-21, 11:57 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Bueller and Frye reporting:

i have David Jack's Belly Off series (2 separate DVDs, one is weights-based, the other is body weight-based). i like him. i do not have MA40, but might have talked myself into wanting it.

MA40 (released in 2018) is on Amazon for $29.95 (DVDs only) if you want to avoid Rodale, but seems to exclude the app that can only be acquired from the Men's Health site (read the Q&A):
https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-M.../dp/1635653886

a 2019 1-star review criticized the app for being subscription-based, but it's unclear on whether that is still the case. there is a link someone received when they purchased this set from the Men's Health site and it gave you a calendar based on your level of fitness.

it seems this set used to cost $79.95 including the ball, bands and app.

notable points from reviews on Amazon:
rotation for 8 weeks: 3 days/week for about 40 min. 40 min includes warm up, workout, and cool down. there's a bonus cardio workout included, and recommended to add to the "basic" rotation, whatever that might be.

a reviewer said you can just do the workouts in order until you're ready to move to the next phase.

a reviewer said the back of the case has everything you need to guide you on how to use the workouts.

Level:
geared to novice and people wanting to re-start an exercise regimen and want to go easy on the joints.

less intense than MH60, also from Men's Health. aimed at 40+ YOs (hence the "40" in the title, perhaps, or length of each workout?).

Format:
*2 phases with 3 workouts in each phase.

equipment: bands, ball (air-filled), and dumbbells. band moves only show that one option rather than alternatives with dumbbells. someone mentioned the "Itey 4-band set" or "Mummyfit - orange and black" resistance bands from Amazon were suitable.

*cumulative run time = 288 min (or 4 hours, 48 min according to photo online of back label)

EDITED TO ADD:
titles of workouts from Amazon Q&A:
Quote:
Phase 1 and 2 workouts are 30-minutes each and Bonus Workouts are15 minutes each. Below are the names of each workout.

Disc 1: Phase 1
1: Super Strength
2: Back, Biceps, & Core
3: Lower Body

Disc 2: Phase 2
1. Total Body Blitz
2: Total Body Revolution
3: The Muscle Maker

Disc 3: Bonus Workouts
1: Fired up in 15
2: The Move Session
3: The Mobility Session

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Last edited by bzar; 10-12-21 at 06:42 PM. Reason: EDITED TO ADD: titles of individual workouts from Amazon Q&A
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-21, 12:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Sloane reporting:

Men's Health 6-Week Sweat Off - $29.95 from Men's Health online store - seems to be either DVD or streaming, but unclear, so be careful before you click on the "add to cart" button!

paraphrased from Amazon description:
warm up and strength workout in around 30 minutes.

instructor: Sean Garner

Content: 10 challenging workouts over 6 week period made up of circuits.

Notable comments from Amazon:
has a Snow Angel mobility segment for shoulders.

link from Amazon Canada - out of stock:
https://www.amazon.ca/6-Week-Sweat-O.../dp/1950099393

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-21, 08:38 AM  
bubbles76

Thanks Bzar! It was the amazon reviews that got me interested in those sets. I've got a Christmas amazon card burning a hole in my pocket. Was wondering if I should spend it on these sets or Cathe's newest bands dvds (which will eventually make it to amazon).

Tags
6 week sweat off, david jack, ma40, men's health, mh60, sean garner