Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-20, 07:50 PM  
kat999

That is way too aggressive! I had high BP last year, my doc put me on a low-dose calcium channel blocker, I read up on some lifestyle changes, and through a combination of tracking my BP every day, reducing caffeine on days my BP was elevated, cooking with no salt or low-sodium salt, and reducing sodium everywhere I possibly could (not to mention continuing with my exercise!), I managed to lower my average BP down from the 140-150/90 range to a point where it was actually LOW (like under 100/50). I gradually lowered the dose on the medication until I was no longer taking it, had a whole cardiology work-up that showed a clean bill of health, and now--medication-free--my BP is almost always under 120/80 every day.

Make sure you're taking your BP correctly with a reliable home monitor, and when you have it taken at the doctor's office, be sure you are uncaffeinated and fully relaxed. I think in my case, it was a bad food situation gone amok combined with a hereditary component, anxiety, and white coat syndrome.
Old 07-17-20, 11:34 PM  
Scorpio6

She is probably getting a kickback from the drug company. I do not say that in sarcasm, it's actually very common.

Stay off statins by all means, just handle it with diet, stay away from sugar, that will raise triglycerides. If your thyroid is low, that can raise cholesterol so get a full thyroid panel. TSH for optimal function should be 1.0 and no higher than 1.5. If you decide to go on statins, you will have to take generous doses of CoQ10 to replace what the statin depletes. Hope this helps.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 05:17 AM  
Tugger31

I'd first want to establish whether or not you truly have high BP. I'd get an automatic cuff so you can start taking your BP at home. Alot of people can bit a little anxious in a doctor's office which can elevate their BP. I was close to needing a statin for my cholesterol at one point. I changed my diet and 6 months later I had dropped my cholesterol 30 points. I'd get a new doctor but it does sound like this doctor at least made you aware of a potential problem so when it's all said and done not a bad thing.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 06:56 AM  
psupam

Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions. I am 70 years old, overweight (a lifelong struggle) but otherwise very healthy just needing a small dose of thyroid meds. I have always been committed to exercise. I breezed through knee surgery. I am dumping this doctor but not having a pcp might delay my second knee replacement; however, with covid it might be delayed anyway. I will double down on my lifestyle efforts.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 09:44 AM  
warriorprincess

I monitor my blood pressure every morning since I started getting slightly elevated readings a couple of years ago at the doctor's office. Mine will range from 105 to 140 on the top number, but usually around 120. I can't for the life of me figure out a correlation between what I do and when it goes up. I do know it varies enough that a couple of snapshot readings at a doctor's office isn't enough for a diagnosis.

You definitely want to avoid high blood pressure. It causes so much damage. But I wouldn't go to any doctor who was annoyed at my opinions or preferences. You only become more reluctant to share information that might be critical to revealing a medical problem. I would find another pcp.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 11:10 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I would find another doctor. Someone that will work with you to improve your health as you desire.
There are so many alternatives such as meditation, diet, exercise to lower blood pressure.
If your blood pressure is down and your doctor is still recommending statins I would want a full cholesterol panel and then I would want a doctor that understands it. Not all doctors do. My husbands physician did not and he needed to bring in articles from reputable sources. Mine understands it very well but she is by gynecologist. Lucky me.

The suggestion from ChelePA was good. Statins have too many side effects to prescribe lightly.
Quote:
You need to have a cholesterol panel and look at each individual number. HDL, LDL, triglycerides, etc. —that will give you a better idea if you have a true cholesterol issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 07-18-20, 11:16 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

If you switch doctors, you might look for a D.O. instead of an M.D. My experience has been that the D.O.s (at least in my town) approach things more holistically and are less likely to automatically prescribe medications. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and my D.O. prescribed weight loss, diet modifications (more Keto like) and exercise - no meds. She will re-check my blood work like every 3 months to what things are looking like.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 11:27 AM  
Vantreesta

Carol, what is a D.O.?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 11:50 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Carol, what is a D.O.?
Doctor of osteopathic medicine. They look at the person as a whole rather than just symptoms. They often address lifestyle changes, not just medication. My daughter's pediatrician is a DO. Love him!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 12:01 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Doctor of osteopathic medicine. They look at the person as a whole rather than just symptoms. They often address lifestyle changes, not just medication. My daughter's pediatrician is a DO. Love him!
Oh that's cool! I've never heard that title. I've heard of naturopaths. Is that similar?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood pressure, cholesterol, doctors, oatmeal