Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-20, 01:16 PM  
psupam

New Dr. Pushing Meds

My pcp retired last year and I got shuffled to a new dr. I had seen her briefly 2 times w/no issues. I went in last month for my yearly and my bp was a little elevated. I have never had hypertension even through a total knee in March. I believe it was high as I was stressed about weight gain. The dr. was not concerned as it was recently monitored for surgery, etc. I had blood drawn for lipids. The next day her medical assistant called (not the dr.) and said she is putting you on a statin as you have an elevated risk (slight). I was hesitant since I don't like to take anything unless necessary and I prefer lifestyle approaches first. Yesterday I went in for a bp check and received the impression that the doctor was not pleased that I had reservations about a statin. That shot my blood pressure up again. Dr. was annoyed that I did not immediately want meds. Very grudgingly said "OK I'll give you 3 months to work on this and monitor at home", but if it is high the next time you are in the office I am treating you." She has me so anxious now I think it is causing the problem. I don't want to go to her anymore or am I overreacting? By the way the readings in the office are 130/80 or 140/80, never higher.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 01:51 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

No, you are not over-reacting. I've never been prescribed statins, but I have read that there are side effects to consider. Get a second opinion or just get another doctor, one who will discuss things with you.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 01:54 PM  
prettyinpink

I would see someone else if you are not comfortable.

It is always your choice whether to take her advice or not. Maybe it is the best advice, but I would not take well to instructions that are given in the way you described, that I would have three months and then I have no choice. I’m ornery like that.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 01:54 PM  
bubbles76

I feel you, although I have the opposite problem. My doctor is very unconcerned that my cholesterol is steadily increasing. It is over 200, and has been steadily increasing since last year. She didn't suggest drugs or lifestyle changes. She said, "maybe this is just where you function" or something to that effect. Uh, no chick, up until last year I had never had any problems with cholesterol. I had to suggest lifestyle changes to her, to which she replied, "that could be good." I even asked to be referred to a dietician. Ugh!

Yes, I know I was born with the genes for high cholesterol, but don't just assume that's the issue! I work out, don't eat red meat or pork, eat lean meats, eat salmon 2 times a week, drink almond milk, and I don't fry anything. I MIGHT have Chick Fil A once every few months. She didn't even go through any of that. Sigh!

All that to say, if you are not comfortable with her, seek another doctor. Always good to have a second opinion when doctors ae pushing drugs.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 02:11 PM  
Vantreesta

I agree, I don't think you're overreacting. My old doctor kept trying to prescribe antidepressants bc I was always telling her I was tired. At the time I was not depressed. I kept telling her I was just tired, not depressed but she kept pushing. Eventually I did end up depressed, largely bc of work and other issues, but I truly believe being tired all the time contributed.

She also was no help when I tore my hamstring tendon and a bunch of stuff in my hip. She told me just don't do anything that hurts, you can run if you want. Are you kidding me?? I had to request the MRI and PT. After all, the Xrays didn't show anything broken so of course there's nothing wrong...grrrrrr.

They may have the education but we are the only ones who know our bodies, our complete histories and our beliefs and reservations about different treatments. Don't let her bully you into it if you aren't comfortable with it.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 02:30 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Years ago, I had a wonderful dentist who was forced to retire due to arthritis. He sold his building to a new dentist, who was nice enough but there were things I was not happy with--I kept going to him for quite a few years. Well, I developed a problem that I knew they were going to charge me an arm & a leg for, so I looked for, & got, a new dentist. I am so much happier now. I really wish I had switched years ago.

It sounds to me like you should switch doctors. However, I don't have much advice on how to choose a new doctor. The only things I can think of are recommendations from friends & relatives & reviews. If you do choose a new doctor, make sure your concerns are known from the start. Good luck!

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 02:34 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm a little surprised that a statin was recommended since they are primarily used for high cholesterol, not high blood pressure. I'm not an MD, but I know from my MD that guidelines for what is borderline high blood pressure have changed, and 140/80 would be considered "high" by these new standards if it's a regular thing. I have a family history of high blood pressure, and was the last of my nuclear family (my parents and siblings) to be diagnosed with it. Dr. prescribed a low dose high blood pressure medication. Mine was running in the 130s-140s for the upper number reading. Before he prescribed it, he had me take my blood pressure every day for a month and write down the numbers so he/we would know if it was consistently "high." I also wanted to make triple sure it was needed, since I heavily resist taking any meds and my MD knew that and respected my viewpoint.

I'm only relaying that because it may be that in your case like mine a low dose high blood pressure might also be indicated. I never had high blood pressure until I got older, which my MD says can happen particularly after menopause in women. I'm otherwise in good health, normal weight, non smoker, regular exerciser, etc.

BUT, the bottom line is it doesn't seem that you have a good rapport with this doctor, and I agree completely with those that said you should find someone else. This is an important relationship, and if you feel this MD is a Dr. Feelgood (DH's name for his former MD whose first form of recommended treatment was always a drug prescription) then you need to go elsewhere. Good luck!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 02:58 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I don’t think you are overreacting. Your BP certainly isn’t overly elevated, 80 diastolic is quite normal and 140 Systolic is borderline. And white coat hypertension is a real thing! It would make sense to me for you to make some healthy lifestyle changes and see where you are in 3 months with blood work and BP. As little as a 10 lb weight loss can lower BP. You can buy an inexpensive home BP machine on Amazon or at a pharmacy and monitor yourself at home, record your readings and take them with you next appt.

ETA: Meditation has been proven to lower BP as well.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 03:09 PM  
DCW

DH current doc wanted him on a statin and prescribed it. Three months later he goes in for a bp check and blood work. Oh my the statin is working says the doc. My husband replied, I never started. I changed my diet.

Several years ago our former and favorite doc put him on bp after he monitored his bp at home and work. She told him after reviewing his information that his elevated bp was due to work and when he retires he probably won't need them.

If you don't like the doc, change.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 03:16 PM  
akaAnnie

Wow! What makes her think it's her decision? I agree, find someone who will work with you on your health, not dictate to you!
akaAnnie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood pressure, cholesterol, doctors, oatmeal