Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-18, 10:39 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Experiences with a home reformer

I have recently fallen in love with reformer pilates after taking classes at a pilates studio. I'm seriously considering getting one, and Costco has a great deal this month on the Merrithew SPX reformer. I have a dedicated room for my fitness "studio," but it is small and space is at a premium and the reformer would take up a good chunk. I would still have room for kettlebell workouts and yoga, though. I guess my biggest concern would be the space investment. I am not going to renew at the studio because it involves extra driving after work in rush hour traffic, which just adds more stress to my already stressful days. It is also expensive. But I love how I feel when I work out on the reformer!

Do you have a reformer? Do you use it regularly? Is it worth the space investment? I would love to hear about your pros/cons.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 04:22 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale K. View Post
I have recently fallen in love with reformer pilates after taking classes at a pilates studio. I'm seriously considering getting one, and Costco has a great deal this month on the Merrithew SPX reformer. I have a dedicated room for my fitness "studio," but it is small and space is at a premium and the reformer would take up a good chunk. I would still have room for kettlebell workouts and yoga, though. I guess my biggest concern would be the space investment. I am not going to renew at the studio because it involves extra driving after work in rush hour traffic, which just adds more stress to my already stressful days. It is also expensive. But I love how I feel when I work out on the reformer!

Do you have a reformer? Do you use it regularly? Is it worth the space investment? I would love to hear about your pros/cons.

Right now I'm using the pro SPX Max Plus with vertical stand. The vertical stand turned out to be the answer for my space issues, though you have to have fairly tall ceilings. We budgeted for a new exercise space but decided to hold off for a few years due to unexpected expenses. I had planned to eventually purchase a reformer/cadillac for the new space. Right now the reformer and tower and double suspension trainers let me mimic most of the reformer/cadillac repertoire. Honestly though, in my opinion, there just is nothing like a cadillac to help you feel like you are at the pinnacle of human movement. But since you are interested in reformer info, I'll try to stay on task

I use the reformer regularly because there is just nothing else like it for feeling light, strong and balanced throughout your body. Weights are my first love and I have had excellent results lifting (esp with STS) throughout the years. But weight programs don't keep me as flexible/fluid in the spine and smaller muscles. Pilates makes me feel like I can float. And I think it might be more accessible as I age. So I do both types of training.

As far as cons, pilates equipment is far more expensive. And it doesn't end with reformers. There are always more accessories to store. Reformer boxes, cardio jump boards, circles, arc barrels, rotational discs will all call to you It's an investment for both space and money.

BTW, I didn't pay any where near the cost that Stott lists on its website. It pays to shop around, esp for "dent box" versions etc. Have to run for now, HTH.
Old 10-07-18, 12:53 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I remember this thread:
http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...d.php?t=220189

(I added a tag to the current thread so it now will now also pull up the thread listed above.)
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 02:37 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Gale! I had a reformer for a while, bought it used. I liked it but space was an issue. I’m thinking of getting my DH to install a Pilates wall system for me at some point. We are planning to relocate in a few years so likely will wait until then. Here’s a pic of a very basic one. I’ve seen others that are DIY and some with more bells & whistles, so we will see... I don’t want to spend big $ and my DH is pretty handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29F9C4EE-7F6B-4C56-B48A-8E2E4365B78E.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	4618  

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 05:18 AM  
dlb

Thanks for posting the sale. I've been looking at reformers lately. I'm interested in seeing the responses.
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 11:42 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Thank you, Taiga, adawn and Pam! I appreciate your thoughts on this.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
Old 10-07-18, 11:43 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb View Post
Thanks for posting the sale. I've been looking at reformers lately. I'm interested in seeing the responses.
You are welcome! The Costco sale seems like a pretty good deal.

Old 10-07-18, 11:46 AM  
Taiga

I already mentioned it in bargain watch and another thread, but Balanced Body is having a 50% off sale on their dvds (including reformer dvds etc). Could go nicely with the Costco deal
Old 10-07-18, 12:26 PM  
Marisa

I have this brand and essentially the same model reformer. It does take up a fair amount of space but I couldn’t imagine ever getting rid of it. I bought it used on Craigslist from a pilates instructor who was upgrading to a model with the vertical frame.

If I had an unlimited budget I would get the one Taiga mentioned with the vertical stand, but I just make it work in my 10 x 10 space by kind of pushing it closer to the wall when I’m not using it and bring it away from the wall when I’m on it.

The only possible potential downsides to the Costco one would be you can’t add the vertical frame for Cadillac/trapeze work, and the reformer itself doesn’t have a stand so it’s fairly low to the ground. If you previously did Club Pilates classes on the wood Balanced Body reformer, those are elevated a few inches from the floor so it feels just a bit different to be closer to the floor. These aren’t deal breakers for me but I thought I’d just mention them.

The Costco price and package is excellent! I didnt have the cardio tramp with mine and just bought one and it alone was $400. The platform extender is really nice to have too and it’s $230 on the Merrithew website. With this package you would get basically every other accessory you would want/ need.
Marisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-18, 10:40 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
I have this brand and essentially the same model reformer. It does take up a fair amount of space but I couldn’t imagine ever getting rid of it. I bought it used on Craigslist from a pilates instructor who was upgrading to a model with the vertical frame.

If I had an unlimited budget I would get the one Taiga mentioned with the vertical stand, but I just make it work in my 10 x 10 space by kind of pushing it closer to the wall when I’m not using it and bring it away from the wall when I’m on it.

The only possible potential downsides to the Costco one would be you can’t add the vertical frame for Cadillac/trapeze work, and the reformer itself doesn’t have a stand so it’s fairly low to the ground. If you previously did Club Pilates classes on the wood Balanced Body reformer, those are elevated a few inches from the floor so it feels just a bit different to be closer to the floor. These aren’t deal breakers for me but I thought I’d just mention them.

The Costco price and package is excellent! I didnt have the cardio tramp with mine and just bought one and it alone was $400. The platform extender is really nice to have too and it’s $230 on the Merrithew website. With this package you would get basically every other accessory you would want/ need.
Thank you for your comment! I'm still considering, but haven't ordered.

Tags
pilates reformer, pilatesstick, reformer