Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-17, 03:13 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I was a bit suprised at what I read in this article.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/weig...U452DHP#page=2
Most of the information in this article, I have already heard. However, I had always heard, and read that strength training is important for keeping the metabolism up. Muscle burns fat, right? Maybe not at important as I thought, at least not for weight loss.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 03:29 PM  
TinaT

I struggle with the article. I'm proof that doing some form of weights helps in the calorie burn. Not just for pounds lost, but also inches overall. Aside from the vital organs burning calories, (which is assumed they do), muscle also burns calories to stay health. Anna Benson talked about this years ago and I think she was accurate.

Do whatever you enjoy to get you moving and be consistent, that's the biggest factor. Thanks for the article.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 03:45 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Tina,
I struggle with it too. I started out with videos in 1996, and when I found the Firm I fell in love with AWT. I was convinced that weight training with aerobics was the key to losing and weight, and weight maintenance. I have since found other activities, but I still do, and enjoy lifting weights. I guess everyone has to come to their own conclusion.

Sherry
Old 06-10-17, 05:29 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I disagree also.

I've seen the evidence too many times. Constant cardio changing nothing. Add in weight training and watch the body change.

I guess everyone has to figure out what works for themselves.
Old 06-10-17, 06:38 AM  
LoveVA

Diet was important, but I also saw a significant change when I increased my strength training. As for the metabolism claim, I had to start eating more at one point to stop losing weight. My metabolism jumped when I started doing AWT (old Firms).

Anyway, tomorrow there will be an article that says the complete opposite.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 06:44 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I couldn't agree more! I have been mixing in weights with my workouts for a long time now, and I have had no problem maintaining my weight all of these years. I know that lifting weights is an important part of that.
Love Anna's AWT! That is my favorite way to lift weights!
Sherry
Old 06-10-17, 06:45 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
Diet was important, but I also saw a significant change when I increased my strength training. As for the metabolism claim, I had to start eating more at one point to stop losing weight. My metabolism jumped when I started doing AWT (old Firms).

Anyway, tomorrow there will be an article that says the complete opposite.
Lol, isn't that the truth?!
Old 06-10-17, 07:25 AM  
ellaenchanted

It must also vary by individual. I have always said I need lots of cardio. It makes the most difference in my fitness level. For weight loss, only cardio and diet help me. Weight training gives me strength and muscle endurance.

I think cardio may be important for my body because muscle strength seems come more easily for me. I see gains in strength and endurance quite quickly. Weight loss is something I.need to be more.focused about and the progress is much more steady. My husband is the complete opposite.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 07:57 AM  
Lannette

The idea that added muscle results in far less calorie burn than we'd like to believe has been around for a while. There was an article where the author set it out mathematically and it was quite compelling. I wish I could find it but I can't seem to locate it.

Adding weight training to cardio will definitely change the aesthetic contours of the body but but so will body weight training, Kettlebell training, etc.

I think I her Firm book Anna Benson got it right when she said that what you eat is 75% of aesthetic results.

Much as we'd like to believe there's some magic bullet I think it comes down to lifestyle balance. I do however believe that the perfect lifestyle balance point does shift around slightly from person to person.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 08:00 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Interesting article but confusing. Haven't most fitness instructors and bodybuilders including Cathe, Tom Venuto, said that weight lifting is unique in that it burns calories long after the workout is complete?

~Beht
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone density, calories burned, metabolism, strength training, weights