Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-17, 08:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

what cookie cookbooks do you own and love?

I've collected a trove of cookie cookbooks. I'm selective.

my favorites:
Betty Crocker's Cookie Book
Better Homes & Gardens The Ultimate Cookie Book
*The Good Housekeeping Test Kitchen Cookie Lover's Cookbook

*The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook

*plan to buy these after having borrowed the library's copy

currently reading:
Dorie's Cookies

there's some good sites on the web, but I enjoy reading books that have a good story behind the recipe. and the books I buy need to have lots of pictures!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-17, 08:39 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been resisting Dorie's book so hard. Don't tempt me, I'm holding out for BraveTart's dessert book later this year. BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts

Cookie cookbooks? I love them.

Carole Walters Great Cookies has remained a part of my cookbook collection but honestly I can't recall any specific recipes.

Nancy Baggett's All American Cookie Book has a fabulous maple sugar cookie recipe (uses maple sugar). Fiddly but great tasting, and an essential part of my holiday baking when I'm feeling up to the challenge of roll out cookies.
I also have her international cookie book that seems maybe a bit dated, but I still like having that assortment of recipes to choose from.

I've been tempted by Anna Ginsberg's The Daily Cookie for a long time. (She posted on another forum years ago, so it was fun to see how things developed. IIRC, she also has a blog.) If I were going to buy another cookie cookbook, sort of at random, it would be this one.

IIRC, I got really determined with my book cleanout and actually donated cookbooks to the library. Will see what's left of the purge and report back any other must haves in my collection, LOL!

Looks like that's it for me, except for two Better Homes and Garden ones that seem to be similar/updated versions of the same thing 'Christmas cookies aka Cookies for Christmas). Almost random in my choosing there, one from Walmart in recent years, the other dates back to 1985 (and kind of shows it)

Most of the rest of my baking books are more general, with some cookie recipes included in a wider assortment.
Old 02-21-17, 09:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Bunny - the Dorie one is from the library. i'll bet your library has it too.

I skimmed Dorie's other book Baking from my Home to Yours. it's not bad.

omg - she has a pancake one. just saw it on Amazon. off to see if our library has it.

edited add:
not the pancake one, but our library has her Waffle one. will request it now.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 02-21-17, 10:27 PM  
BunnyHop

Sadly, our library doesn't have the new one, or anything of hers more recent than 2010. Given their budget, it might take a while, but I'll be patient.

I do have Paris Sweets, but bought it more to read than work with. Will need to look again now that some time has passed. My book purge wasn't all THAT extreme after all.

Waffles? Now you're talking. Do let me know how you like it. I'm a serious waffle fan.
Old 02-21-17, 10:28 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

One Smart Cookie - lowfat cookie recipes

Julie VanRosendaal's One Smart Cookie is still my all-time favorite cookie cookbook.

The lowfat chocolate chip cookie recipe is to die for (don't make it during humid or rainy weather though! ). The cheesecake brownies are y-u-m-m-y. And oatmeal chocolate chip is a big hit in my household.

Of course, I had to go and buy the "Daily Cookie" recipe book that was recommended here!
Old 02-22-17, 05:51 AM  
sherry7899

Sally's Baking Addiction has a brand new cookbook of all cookie recipes coming out on September 14th She has a ton of great recipes on her blog.

I also love reading through cookbooks. I just got a new one yesterday (from the writer of the Detoxinista blog). I have a few cookie cookbooks, but mainly get cookie recipes from blogs. I print them out and put them in binders with protective page covers. I'd love to collect cookie cookbooks, but I'm running out of shelf space and trying to eat healthier.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-17, 04:43 PM  
videofit

Mrs Fields Cookie Book. I've made nearly every recipe. I also have her I Love Chocolate cookbook and Debbi Fields' Great American Desserts.
Old 03-01-17, 01:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Mrs Fields Cookie Book. I've made nearly every recipe. I also have her I Love Chocolate cookbook and Debbi Fields' Great American Desserts.
what a coincidence - last year, I found a nice copy of the Mrs. Fields' Cookie Book. I've borrowed all 3 of the titles you mentioned from the library and made several of the recipes. as such, I was so happy when I saw a copy in the thrift store.

Tags
chocolate chip cookies, cookies