Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-17, 11:56 AM  
Hilary

I Underrated the Pink Firms

Just some background.

Although I wasn't a $50 clamshell Firmie, I started doing Firm workouts in 2000 ... they were my first venture into video fitness (in fact, I learned about them here). And although I've never exclusively Firmed and am a major Cathe fan, I followed the Firm's evolution through all the various twists and turns. I participated avidly on the non-paying Firm Forum, I mourned when GT bought out the Bensons, I owned the original defective Fanny Lifter (and still have it, complete with the famous crack), the Deathbox, and the awesome Transfirmer. I was one of Anna's Angels and received all the FitPrimes, and followed her to WHFN ... and so on and so forth. But by the time the Firm devolved to the Pink Firms, I was over it. Consequently, although I bought a few random workouts here and there, I never did them.

FF to 2017 ... I'm now 63 instead of 46 ... and I'm more focused on maintaining my current (quite good for my age) level of strength and fitness rather than improving anything. In other words, I just want to maintain what I achieved after all those years of workouts.

In any case, thanks to encouragement from my BFF, I recently started using my Pink Firms and I'm impressed! The instructors are motivating and fun, and professional. The sets and the music aren't star-power, but they're strangely comforting. These are no walk-in-the-park workouts. You can't use heavy weights, but 8-pound dumbbells provide quite the burn for most of the moves. They're simple ... a floor and a couple sets of dumbbells and I'm good to go. I don't find them boring. The cardio isn't as predictable as Leslie, but it's not hard to master either. There's lots of variation in moves and I like the alternation between cardio and weights and compound moves in most of the workouts. These workouts have no dread factor. I'm sorry that there's no longer a Firm, but they left a good legacy behind.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 12:03 PM  
Ricka

Aww, I think there is something comforting about the FIRM DVDs, especially for those of us who followed the FIRM for a long time.
Their videos feature variety of instructors, set, music, different styles, and I feel like I can find something for many purposes. Some days, I want to work out harder, and other days, I want to do something lighter, and I agree that for me, Pink Firms are great for days when I do not want to workout too hard, but maintain. Really fun and easy to follow, and it is fun to exercise with familiar instructors.
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 12:20 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Wow, is the FIRM completely over? I, too, was a FIRM junkie back in the day, but I moved on quite a while ago and didn't realize they were all gone!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 12:24 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Hi Hilary!

I enjoyed reading your post about doing Firms again. It has literally been years since I've done a Firm workout. You have inspired me to pull one out this weekend and see what I think after all this time!

Volume 1 was the first workout video I ever owned!

Good to see you!
Old 02-10-17, 12:28 PM  
Mickey12

Two follow up questions:

1. What is the deathbox? Is that the blue rectangular firm box with the black legs that folded in? You could use it as a low step, a high step or as an incline. I used it a few weeks ago for high leg presses and thought it was awfully unstable.

2. As another poster asked, has The Firm stopped making workouts completely?

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 12:31 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Two follow up questions:

1. What is the deathbox? Is that the blue rectangular firm box with the black legs that folded in? You could use it as a low step, a high step or as an incline. I used it a few weeks ago for high leg presses and thought it was awfully unstable.

2. As another poster asked, has The Firm stopped making workouts completely?

Kim
Yes, what you described was the 'deathbox' as I recall. And that is why it was called so!
Old 02-10-17, 12:38 PM  
Garrie A.

Hi Hilary! Pink Firms have been hit or miss for me. My favorite Pink Firms are Hi-Def Sculpt and Pump Jump and Jab (the AWT/Kickboxing led by Kelsie). Hi Def Sculpt is slow enough to go heavy (I use between 5 and 12 pounds), and PJ&J is pure fun! I wish Kelsie made a pure kickboxing workout. I would buy it in a heartbeat. I also bought the Zip Trainer back in January and have been using the workouts sporadically.

Several Firm instructors (Alison, Allie, Emily, and Rebekah) went on to create a streaming service called BeMax, and Emily now owns The Flex (once called The Firm) studio in Lexington, SC. Gaiam still owns the brand name, which is why they can't use the Firm name. I would love to see a Classic Firm instructors reunion workout, with Jen, Susan, Nancy, Tracie, Pam, and Heidi all taking turns leading.

I'll always be a Firm fan, ever since I found the six clamshell VHS tapes at a yard sale all for $1. After that, I became a Firm believer. My collection has grown immensely, and includes barre, Pilates, and Cathe among other things.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 12:40 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
I'll always be a Firm fan, ever since I found the six clamshell VHS tapes at a yard sale all for $1.
Wow, deal of the century!
Old 02-10-17, 12:52 PM  
Garrie A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Wow, deal of the century!
And that was what started my vidiocy! I have the DVDs now, but will keep the tapes as collectors items.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 01:05 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Yes no more Firm workouts. Some of the ladies are now with BeMax or Befit something like that. Emily, Rebekah, and Allie and I think Allison. They are doing the streaming thing now since dvds will become obsolete very soon. MoFirmer has lots of info about their new company now.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm deathbox, pink firms