Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-17, 09:55 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thanks, Cleda!

I stumbled across this blog that has vegan Instant Pot recipes. This pumpkin steel cut oatmeal coffeecake recipe looks really good:

http://healthyslowcooking.com/instan...l-cut-oatmeal/

Sherry
I'm a big fan of Hester's and have quite a few of her recipes in my regular rotation. She also just came out with an InstaPot cookbook.

My InstaPot is still in the box....
Old 02-10-17, 08:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Come on Buffmama, get that pot out of the box!

Here is Kathy Hester's book: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot.

I made the chicken tikka masala yesterday - very tasty and warming after a day clearing out from under a blizzard. I goofed and cut the chicken breast up first, missed the instruction that you just put the chicken breasts on top of the other ingredients and then shred them into the sauce afterward. It was still spicy, warming and delicious.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 08:53 AM  
buffmama

I primarily got the IP to cook beans when I didn't prep anything ahead of time. Now I soak at night and cook while I exercise - very hands off. Not sure even the IP can beat that unless I need those beans ASAP - which I anticipate happening with buffboy growing. Hester's cookbook will have me doing more with it for sure.
Old 02-10-17, 08:56 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I primarily got the IP to cook beans when I didn't prep anything ahead of time. Now I soak at night and cook while I exercise - very hands off. Not sure even the IP can beat that unless I need those beans ASAP - which I anticipate happening with buffboy growing. Hester's cookbook will have me doing more with it for sure.
That's great if you don't mind doing it in steps. I just toss the beans in the instant pot unsoaked and they cook while I exercise.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 12:11 PM  
gladgirl

Thanks for the link, Sherry.

I am making a cauliflower, potato, onion soup right now. (Boss gave me the day off.) Got some chopped fresh parsley and bacon for garnish. Can't wait for lunch. (Also got 2 quick loads of laundry done to boot!) I really like this product so far and have only used the pressure cooking part. Have not used rice or yogurt or the slow cooker function. Trying out the soup one now.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 09:59 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Tip for shredding chicken, pork, etc.

Just learned this on the Facebook Instant Pot community - easily shred your cooked chicken breasts, pork roast, etc. using a hand mixer! Those who have a Kitchen Aid with the big paddle use that, but here's a video with the usual hand mixer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeHz-3maMRQ
Old 02-12-17, 02:40 PM  
sherry7899

Pat- I read about that trick a few years ago. I used it when I made chicken burritos a few weeks ago.

I finally unboxed and did the water test. Then I made hard boiled eggs- I had trouble peeling the first one but after that they were easy so I made deviled eggs. I just made pumpkin steel cut oats. I am letting the pressure out naturally right now. I hope they are really good because I am the only one who eats oatmeal.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 02:59 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
pat- i read about that trick a few years ago. I used it when i made chicken burritos a few weeks ago.

I finally unboxed and did the water test. Then i made hard boiled eggs- i had trouble peeling the first one but after that they were easy so i made deviled eggs. I just made pumpkin steel cut oats. I am letting the pressure out naturally right now. I hope they are really good because i am the only one who eats oatmeal.
hurray!
Old 02-12-17, 03:08 PM  
sherry7899

Pat- thanks! The steel cut oats are a little watery. I hope they thicken up as they cool down.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 04:07 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

They will.

Did you do them directly in the IP or did you use "pot in pot" method?

Tags
instant pot, nutritional yeast, steel cut oats